Author Topic: Hats  (Read 741 times)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Hats
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »
Hats are an important part of your outdoor gear. In the summertime they protect your head from the direct sunshine, shade your eyes and keep your ears from getting sunburned. Mine are susceptible to sun burn because I frost bit them one winter night in Anchorage. 

I have a big set of Caribou antlers in my living room and they are decorated with hats each has a history and several stories.

Over out lifetimes we go through a lot of hats, I prefer wide brim felt hats because they give better protection, I only wear baseball hats infrequently, such as on my weekly trip into town, I have one a US Submarine Service Veteran hat, that gets me some nice chats with other old veterans.

I like felt hats because there is something about the sound of rain on a felt hat that is very enjoyable.  I recall one such incident many years ago I was sitting under a black spruce on the edge of a big muskeg swamp it had just started to rain, I was watching a cow moose across the swamp grazing in the willows, it was my second day in Alaska.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Hats
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »
I'm a hat person.  From boonie hats to Panama's.  But I have a crazy dog.  When he was little he didn't like a hat on my head.  I didn't figure that out until one day he was bugging the crap out me and I threw my ball cap and sic'd him on it.  He treated it like a squirrel or rodent.  Viscous shaking to the death.  Everybody (including me) thought it was so cute.  I just wore old ball caps on our hikes.  Then he caught on if I put a hat on,  we were going somewhere.  So while I was putting on my shoes he'd stalk me and steal the hat off my head, shake it dead, and wait by the door.  Still cute.  Until he snatched an expensive cowboy hat off my head on a camp and ravaged it.  Then a Panama.  Then if he felt slighted when we didn't get in the truck and go, He'd find a hat and go hide it in the backyard.

I wear cheapo ball caps now.  Tractor Supply has them on sale for 5 bucks once in a while.  Good enough.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
I wear hats most all the time I am outdoors in the summer months.  Around the farm it is usually a soft straw hat or a straw cowboy hat.  In fall and winter its a felt cowboy hat or a crusher style with a 3" brim and a pair of those ear grippers if it is really cold. 

A lot of ball caps come free from local vendors too.  Just bought a SUV and got two caps with it.  My favorite turkey hunting hat is a ball cap because I can lean my head against a tree when sitting and it doesn't push forward like a brimmed hat does. 

Then there are the really cold weather hats.  Wool hats, styles from the old French voyager hats to those Laplander style that come down over your ears.  Elmer Fudd hats even show up on my head along with one of those mad bomber fur jobs too.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
Good stuff. I've never been a hat guy. I'd occasionally wear a ball cap through the years. I've found myself wearing them more and more in recent years to better protect myself and prevent further sun damage. I grew up playing outside, never wore sunscreen, etc. A wide brimmed hat is a necessity for me now when fishing or otherwise in the sun. I can't have it in my eyes or beating down on my face, ears, neck, and so on. Plus, I continue to see friends and co-workers get growths cut out of the face, scalp, ears, arms, etc.

I like the Columbia Bora Bora or something similar. It's a little cooler than a USGI boonie. Because it is not yet a habit, I lose hats right and left. Maybe when I learn to keep up with them better, I'll  try a Tilley or something...

"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
Merle and I will seldom, if ever, be caught outside without a hickory-stripe engineer's cap on our noggins......lightw eight, cool 8), and protects the eyes from UV rays!

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
In Alaska our uniform hats were campaign hats, it rained a lot in Alaska, so those hats had a limited life expectancy, before they started to get completely out of shape.  When we got a new hat there was no expectation to turn the old one in.  Those used hats got soaked in water and re shaped into cowboy hats.

I was out with a friend one day, he had a big river boat, with a 250 hp Lycoming engine, a pretty impressive air boat, we were coming out of Manley Hot springs on a little slough, we were moving right along, when my friend said "look at that", pointing to something on the cliff above the slough, when I looked, I got up above the windscreen, and my hat came off and flew right into the prop, which turned it into felt shreds...

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
If I'm enjoying outdoors time I usually wear a ballcap or my Real Deal Brazil full brim hat.  I like both just depends on the weather and what else I'm wearing.  Can't pull a hood up over the full brim. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Sorry.  Another GC river story.  The wind was wicked upstream.  I had to fight to get into the rapids.  We were in some of the big stuff.  My boonie hat blew off at the wrong moment.  No hat in 117 in the shade was not good and I loved that hat.  The next day I was trying to break out of an eddy that was about 200 yds long with a big eddy fence.  We went around a few times and I was almost done.  On the tail of the eddy one of the women said, "Hey Tony.  Is this your hat?"  2 weeks in on a big river with big rapids for that hat to surface literally right next to our raft seemed like a miracle.  I busted out of the eddy at the top.  Toasted.  Happy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
I have a couple of palm hats from www.sunbody.com.  I wear them mostly when I work at Washington and need to be historically correct.  My big Ol' Sam Houston Planters hat is my favorite:  4" crown and 4" brim.  Throws enough shade to keep your mule cool.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
Big hats are cool..

I have shredded more than one hat, the canvas hat in my avatar, has been in service for a while, and I think it may not smell so good anymore, every time I get near one of the horses with that hat on one of them will grab the hat and throw it on the ground.  So last summer I bought a new canvas hat, this spring I was out mowing off my pastures with my brush hog I was watching the mower, went under a low hanging limb, the branch picked the hat off my head, and you guessed it, it went right under the brush hog..more hat shreds..

Online Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
What great stories coming from something as everyday as a hat is. John, I too want a felt hat, your description of the sound it makes when raining was the final screw.I wear booby hats while working outside, a baseball cap if working under a house but no so much off work unless I am going to be in the sun.
My girlfriend bought me a plaid wool base ball cap, reminded me of something Beaver Cleaver would have worn. I foolishly laughed, telling her if I wore that to work the other construction workers would make fun of me and beat me up. She started crying, ripped the cap out of my hand, and did not talk to me for three maybe four days. Now I wear what ever I want at work, but wear what she says after work.

Happy girlfriend /wife, happy life.
Nice matters

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
Big hats are cool..

I have shredded more than one hat, the canvas hat in my avatar, has been in service for a while, and I think it may not smell so good anymore, every time I get near one of the horses with that hat on one of them will grab the hat and throw it on the ground.  So last summer I bought a new canvas hat, this spring I was out mowing off my pastures with my brush hog I was watching the mower, went under a low hanging limb, the branch picked the hat off my head, and you guessed it, it went right under the brush hog..more hat shreds..

LOL, Chin Strap.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
Hats are an important part of your outdoor gear. In the summertime they protect your head from the direct sunshine, shade your eyes and keep your ears from getting sunburned. Mine are susceptible to sun burn because I frost bit them one winter night in Anchorage. 

I have a big set of Caribou antlers in my living room and they are decorated with hats each has a history and several stories.

Over out lifetimes we go through a lot of hats, I prefer wide brim felt hats because they give better protection, I only wear baseball hats infrequently, such as on my weekly trip into town, I have one a US Submarine Service Veteran hat, that gets me some nice chats with other old veterans.

I like felt hats because there is something about the sound of rain on a felt hat that is very enjoyable.  I recall one such incident many years ago I was sitting under a black spruce on the edge of a big muskeg swamp it had just started to rain, I was watching a cow moose across the swamp grazing in the willows, it was my second day in Alaska.
What boats were you on?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
...I wear booby hats while working outside...

Booby hats?!?!   I want one!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »
A nice  felt fedora is hard to beat..  I hope this picture works.. One of my felt hats, it looks better on my "little brother"

Online Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 05:33:40 PM »

Whoops
Nice matters

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »

Here ya go...

Summer;..Ball caps most of the time....mesh back hot...cloth back cool.
Winter.... Stormy Kromer or watch cap
Mowing.... straw hat, straw cowboy...have several...including an Amish hat ...for when my beard is long...LOL

Hunting:
Duck... gore tex Jones hat.
Turkey...Cold ...Jones hat/face mask..Warm ball cap w/face mash
Deer cold Jones Hat w/watch cap liner.
Fishing, boating...Remington tin cloth boonie hat

Saturday morning outing ...Farmers market, shopping, yard sale, lunch with DW....Tilly hat....end up talking with strangers with Tilly hats...
Have several Stetson's and other felt hats...mostly to small, too heavy....just can't get into them?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 06:10:50 AM »
Moe

There are times when the chin strap could have gotten me in real trouble.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:53 AM »
Hat Quiz

Who was the famous outdoors-man who always wore a fedora?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:28 AM »
Fred Bear?

I dont often wear a felt fedora but when I do it's a Stetson, Angler.
I need a new hat

Online PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »
My current favorite is a blue ball cap from tractor supply. When I go out on my ATV or for a hike or fishing I like a boonie hat to keep the sun off my ears. In wintertime I usually wear a knit watch cap. I get earaches really easily if my ears aren't kept warm.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
Unknown

Fred Bear is the answer, I do not believe I ever saw him not wearing a fedora. 

For winter weather a good knit watch cap is my first choice.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:48 PM »
Had a Fred Bear museum 35 miles north of me until it closed in 2003.  I'm ashamed to say I kept putting off stopping in until it was too late.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
  • Working on my feather sticks
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »
Been buying these things for hot weather, or a variation, for years now. Light weight, great sun protection, easy to wash when it stinks.
http://imgur.com/a/rbnJT
In cold weather I wear whatever keeps my ugly mug just right. Too thick and I end up cold and sweaty.
http://imgur.com/a/QI9Cq
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:29:26 PM by upnorth »

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 06:09:39 AM »
UPNORTH

And interesting adaptation of the baseball cap design.  It looks like the ice on the river was pretty thick when that picture was taken.

What are the trees in the thicket behind you.  My guess is Russian Olive, Black locust, Alder and maybe some Willow.  Just a guess..I always like scenery shots.. 

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 06:20:13 AM »
Max

My older brother, was at a field archery meet many years ago and Fred Bear showed up, my brother got to meet him and do some shooting with him.

Fred Bear liked his old felt hats, but I do not think I ever saw a picture of Howard Hill wearing a hat.  Perhaps a little know fact, there was a certain amount of rivalry between Hill and Bear. It was pretty subtle, just offhand remarks made by one or the other of these guys, that if you had followed their exploits you knew who they were talking about.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Moe

There are times when the chin strap could have gotten me in real trouble.

I hear you there John,  that's the reason I don't wear a neck knife in the woods anymore.

Mostly I was pulling your leg,  but it was the first thing that came to mind,  When I was heavy into cowboy action shooting I belonged to a CAS club that held it's shoots on a farm at the top of a very high hill (they called it a mountain), the winds were always strong up there and most of us adopted the cowboy type loose fitting raw hide lace straps,  it helped in not having to chase your hat around allot.
 In your case it seems to be a curse that follows you around,  I wouldn't mind the occasional loss of a cheap hat, but all of my western styled hats are pretty costly, I have two favorite that I wear most of the time, one is an old Western brand Drover hat that I bought almost 40 years ago, the other is a 10 year old Bailey in the style that Gus wore in his Lonesome Dove movie.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
Has anyone tried to buy a 100% beaver fur felt hat? If I were more into hats I'd have to have one.

I don't really like rabbit felt or wool much.

Offline upnorth

• Whetstone +
  • Working on my feather sticks
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
UPNORTH

And interesting adaptation of the baseball cap design.  It looks like the ice on the river was pretty thick when that picture was taken.

What are the trees in the thicket behind you.  My guess is Russian Olive, Black locust, Alder and maybe some Willow.  Just a guess..I always like scenery shots..

That location is about an hour north of the Montana/North Dakota medicine line. I am weak with tree identification, but I do know some of the local flora, generally associated with their berries choke cherry, Saskatoon etc. I used to walk across that creek a lot right up to early spring, as the water depth was never a real fear, pre break up. But I did step into a snow covered mink hole once and went in up to my knee, and my body momentum nearly did some permanent damage. When the snow recedes in the spring I would look for old bottles from the eroding banks. It was always nice to see the first geese come back to herald spring, but even they got fooled by a few spring cold snaps or storms. But the geese, or at least a goose, was my real sign that winter was ending............T he only real primary design factor with regard to head gear is that I will not wear a hat with a bill or lip in cold weather. They funnel cold prairie wind to my forehead, after a few frighteningly cold forehead semi freezes, even this slow learner caught on.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:46:36 AM by upnorth »

Offline fire65

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
  I read a good article on hats recently.  It said that most farmers and outdoors men wore wide brimmed hats for protection against the elements.  Things changed when advertisers started using caps for ads, such as Redman Tobacco, the hats were free and people started wearing them.

No idea if it is true but it makes since to me having grown up in a farming community there were always plenty of free caps.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
I'm a hat person.  From boonie hats to Panama's.  But I have a crazy dog.  When he was little he didn't like a hat on my head.  I didn't figure that out until one day he was bugging the crap out me and I threw my ball cap and sic'd him on it.  He treated it like a squirrel or rodent.  Viscous shaking to the death.  Everybody (including me) thought it was so cute.  I just wore old ball caps on our hikes.  Then he caught on if I put a hat on,  we were going somewhere.  So while I was putting on my shoes he'd stalk me and steal the hat off my head, shake it dead, and wait by the door.  Still cute.  Until he snatched an expensive cowboy hat off my head on a camp and ravaged it.  Then a Panama.  Then if he felt slighted when we didn't get in the truck and go, He'd find a hat and go hide it in the backyard.

I wear cheapo ball caps now.  Tractor Supply has them on sale for 5 bucks once in a while.  Good enough.

Now that is funny...I don't care who you are...

With mine ...it's boots.....
Boots means ...Lets go!
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Pete Bog

• Mill File
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
   In the winter I wear a Tilley Tec-wool hat and the strangest thing happens. Women that would never give me a second glance give me the nicest smile. The wife notices it too and she loves to rib me about it. The women are in their 40's and 50's. I figure I remind them of their fathers from years gone by, or it turns me into a goofy looking bugger and they are suppressing a hearty laugh. Either way, I like my Tilley.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:39 AM »
I was off on a ride in the National forest, I got further away from my horse trailer than I had planned to.  You get out in the forest and time gets away from you.  It came on full dark, and it was one of those nights when there was no moon, a bit of over cast so you could not see the stars.  It was so dark I could not see the ground from the back of my horse.  We got down on a creek bottom, just below where the trailer was parked, the trail was pretty steep up to the trailer, it wound around between the trees, and it was rutted where folks with 4 wheelers had been up and down. 

It was really dark by the time we got there, I could not see the trail.  My partner told me to just give my horse his head and he would find the way.  I did that, he took off at the run, at that point I was a passenger only.. we went about  1/4 mile at that pace before he slowed down in a little meadow.  My partners request that I wait for her faded in the distance.  When she caught up, there was the, "why didn't you wait", to which I replied, I would have if that option was open for me.

That was truly an ugly part of the trail, I had on my trusty old felt fedora, which was still on when we completed the 1/4 mile dash. 

I should not have been concerned, horses see in a different part of the spectrum than we do, and he could see perfectly well, he was a well trained horse and knew where I was on his back in relation to the obstacles on the trail.  It was a most exciting ride.. 

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
   In the winter I wear a Tilley Tec-wool hat and the strangest thing happens. Women that would never give me a second glance give me the nicest smile. The wife notices it too and she loves to rib me about it. The women are in their 40's and 50's. I figure I remind them of their fathers from years gone by, or it turns me into a goofy looking bugger and they are suppressing a hearty laugh. Either way, I like my Tilley.

Walk around at a Farmers Market, Flea market...or Art Festival.....You will end up talking with complete strangers...male a female....wearing Tilly hats.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »
In the near twenty years I have lived in western South Dakota I have seen one, ONE, Tilley Hat.  A friend of mine wore it when he came to visit.  It is funny how some stuff is.  Where I live it is 99% cowboy hats and ball caps.  A fedora now and then but rare. 

I imagine if I go over to Spearfish during the Art in the park event I might see a few more of them.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
I have some old pictures taken on a ranch in Montana back in the fifties, all of the ranch hands are gathered up for a picture, not a cowboy hat in sight, to a man they were all wearing fedoras. If I can find that picture I will post it.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
I have some of those photos too.  Taken in the late 40's after the War, mine show a few fedora hats but most are wearing cowboy hats.   

I have some from the 1890's with lots of cowboy hats so it is likely the War affected what people wore to a degree and for a time. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
Stan

And after the war there were more western movies, which have an influence on fashion.  Look how fashionable the S&W mod 29 was after the Dirty Harry movies..

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
The automobile replacing horseback travel also had an influence. Its hard to ride in or drive a pickup with a wide brim or high crown hat.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »
Stan

And after the war there were more western movies, which have an influence on fashion.  Look how fashionable the S&W mod 29 was after the Dirty Harry movies..

It wasn't popular among real cowboys.  They stayed with their single actions.  Stayed with .45 Colt ammunition too. 

I went through a few of my local history books looking at hats.   The Texas cowboys who came into this area wore nothing but what we now call cowboy hats.  The photos taken by people like Huffman in the last twenty years of the 19Th century show nearly all wearing cowboy hats.  A few wore something else.  Immigrants were showing up in the west at that time and many of them wore the same hats they wore in Europe.  Fast forward twenty years and there are a few fedoras and a few Elmer Fudd hats worn by the cattle wranglers but these days it is cowboy hats by a huge majority.  They traditional western hat is pretty useful.  It shields you a bit from the weather, at least sun and rain, but isn't great for your ears in the cold.   You can give your horse a drink out of one I guess and cool your head a bit when you put it back on.  It makes a pretty good fan to start a branding fire or cool off a ladies face. 

A fedora would be a nice hat too.  Fred Bear wore one in about every photo I ever saw of him.  Indiana Jones probably sold a few of them too.  Take a look at photos of the crowds at a major league ball games in the thirties and there isn't anybody not wearing some kind of brimmed hat and most are fedoras I think.  My father wore them until the fifties, then went to ball caps.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »
Heather & I were in a restaurant down in Omaha the other day that had big mural-type historic photos of the area from around the WWI era.  There was one photo of a crowd at a baseball game in Sioux City from 1912.  Heather noted the complete absence of women.....I spotted only ONE!   Just about every man in the photo had a coat & tie and a straw boater on his head.

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »
Musta been in the good ole summertime.  Neat hats.
(Mark Twain)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Better than cowboy hats for good sun protection are the Australian drover hats.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »
If you look up while riding the four wheeler they blow off and you get sunstroke looking for them in the tall weeds.  The brims are too floppy on the ones I have had. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Mill File+
  • Have machete, will travel
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
I'm a boonie hat kinda guy  myself but my pride and joy is my Safari hat with gazelle fur band  sold by the now defunct infamous Willis and Geiger outfitters. My brother gave it to me 20 something years ago so I rarely wear it
Sleeping in a tree is better than sleeping with bugs.