Author Topic: Kinfolks 380 Re-build.  (Read 432 times)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Kinfolks 380 Re-build.
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
I don't see any ....Knife re-build section....so putting this here.\

Found a Kinfolks 380 at a flea market....kinda sad shape.........$6 bucks.

Looks like the leather disks are pretty bad...but I like the design.

Little steel shank, brass nut was kinda stuck, rusty....had to sacrifice a screw driver to make a wrench to remove the nut.
Had been soaking it....so with the help of a punch, got it loosened up.

I guess I need to start looking for replacement disks......

BTW, came in a Kershaw sheath......
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Kinfolks 380 Re-build.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
That looks like one of the old Marble's designs.  Nice find & well worth a re-build. :thumbsup:   I doubt if Sears will replace that Craftsman screwdriver. :shrug: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
That looks like one of the old Marble's designs.  Nice find & well worth a re-build. :thumbsup:   I doubt if Sears will replace that Craftsman screwdriver. :shrug: :lol:

What Sears?...LOL.....our is almost closed down....as well as a ACE Hardware, and the Gander Mountain.
They are selling the counters, racks and display cases....

Had plenty around....and don't use them for work any longer....so started a second life...I don't think I ever used that one....

Started peeling off leather discs....one looks like a steel washer that was pressed into service...
I know they sell news ones....but I wondering if anyone sells used discs...new and shiney may not look good on such and old rusted blade.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »
I doubt anyone sells used discs. 

Go with an antler handle if you want and polish the blade a bit.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »
I doubt anyone sells used discs. 

Go with an antler handle if you want and polish the blade a bit.

I found a few site with difference sized new discs....and the "stacked birch bark" looks interesting.
New heard of that...but was suggested...with a site.

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/565.htm

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
A dark stain or dye may help lend an older look to your new leather since quite a few well used ones are nearly black

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
A dark stain or dye may help lend an older look to your new leather since quite a few well used ones are nearly black

Was thinking of that....still want it to look old a sweaty ......and did get an offer for some salvaged saddle leather.......
Would need a punch.

Pelling off old discs....very brittle and black.....hard to get off shank rusted....so far about 1/2 off......carefully.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »

Yeah I would have gotten a $1 store screwdriver to mod like that, but I like the ingenuity either way.

It looks like a fun project and it should clean up pretty good.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »

Yeah I would have gotten a $1 store screwdriver to mod like that, but I like the ingenuity either way.

It looks like a fun project and it should clean up pretty good.

You know...I have a lot of old screwdriver....wood handles, flat handles, and many I have had for ever.....and got from MF and yard sales.....

Felt bad considering them, as they are like "family"   LOL...if that makes any sense....?
That Craftsman.....had no soul...till now.