Author Topic: Small folding backpacking stoves and Altoids tins  (Read 482 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Small folding backpacking stoves and Altoids tins
« on: October 15, 2021, 07:27:55 AM »

XJ35s has a thread going about his adventures in building a small twig stove that fits into a Altoids candy tin, and he's having fun doing it, not wanting to derail or sideline his thread I thought starting a new thread along the same lines but with a different twist might be better than just throwing the idea into his,
 I think anyone who's been on this forum for a while knows that I'm not a fan of mini survival, first aid, or emergency kits based on Altoids or Sucrets candy tins, as a mind exercise I think they are fun, but as a practical emergency or survival resource they generally fall way short of their intended goal, which is saving one's life in a wilderness emergency.
 That said I have made a few and had fun doing it, and may even make another at some point, but this is about trying to make a usable small stove that fits into a candy tin that actually works and is tough enough to use on a regular basis, well, having some experience with small light weight backpacking stoves that fold or snap together is that they are made of fairly thin metal and they have a tendency to warp from the heat they generate over time and you end up having to hammer them back into good enough shape so as the parts fit together again, a few hammerings and they crack and break.
 Another problem I find is that once you make the stove and pack it into the tin there's not much room left to include any survival stuff,  one of my sons stopped in for coffee (and to check on the old folks) yesterday morning and we talked a little about self reliance skills and such and the talk turned to small packable stoves and I was reminded about XJ35's Altoids stove thread, as we talked I had an idea that I think is worth sharing.
 Now I've been forced to agree (more than once) that any kit no matter how small is better than no kit at all, and that having a small folding stove isn't such a bad idea, but when you are packing the stove in the tin it leaves very little room for much else, of course you could have another tin to carry your other minimalist emergency supplies but that kind of defeats the one piece survival kit container idea.
 My idea is to have a folding pocket (cargo pocket size) stove that fits a mini survival kit inside of it,  what brought the idea home was that I was suggesting to my son that he may want to consider a medium sized Esbit folding pocket stove, when you buy one it usually comes with a box of trioxane fuel tabs inside of it ( I hate those fuel tabs and usually give or throw them away),  the room that the fuel tabs take is just big enough to house an Altoids or Sucrets candy tin that has been pre packed with small survival gear such as a couple of band aids, small blade, cordage, a small ferro rod and striker, small zip lock bag for carrying water, maybe a few hooks and some fishing line.
 My point is the kit would still be pocket sized, contain a practical multi use stove and a separate survival kit all in one that takes up not much more space than just a folding stove packed in a candy tin, and that can be carried in a back pocket, cargo pocket, or a small haversack type bag. 

Something to think about.   :shrug:   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: Small folding backpacking stoves and Altoids tins
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 03:07:00 PM »
This would have been welcomed in my thread. I have all 6 plates inside the tin and can fit a S.AK. Huntsman, full size Bic, and a pocket Compass.

To take this idea further I'm sure this concept could be used in a modded esbit stove. I have one of those too but it's pretty fine as is honestly.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 03:47:25 PM »
That is neat, and there is room to spare.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 11:40:21 PM »
if you could sneak one of those Reynolds Boil in Bag(s) in there, you'd have it made. With Hot water, you are only limited by your imagination.

searching for "Boil Water in Plastic Bag Over Camp Fire" on youtube  opens up all kinds of ways to kill time around the campfire, and that's never a bad thing.

I like carrying some "Tang" orange drink. Hot Tang. Light weight, tastes good, sugar kick on a cold day. Good stuff.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 07:07:37 AM »

While you are searching the net search for what Tang is made up of,  it's loaded with sugar, has manufactured vitamin D in it and the rest is all chemicals,  you're much better drinking a natural tea or brewed coffee. 

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »
 :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:  Oh! I bow to your superior intellect!  :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol: you're a funny man Moe.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 08:22:51 AM »
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:  Oh! I bow to your superior intellect!  :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol: you're a funny man Moe.

LOL, Thanks Pete,  I been accused of funny many times,  but tell me, is that all you got ?    :shrug:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »
I saw pictures of an esbit stove that had sides made for the better directing of heat and preventing the fire from being blown away from the pot. It does seem like a better option but heavier than my tin Probably.

We used to make little gummy candies. I thought Tang at first but now I'm thinking jello. I don't remember how. hot water stir and refridgerate? I wish my mind worked better.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 03:16:12 PM »
I see this stove on Esbit's site.  Is this the direction you are heading with yours?

https://esbit.de/en/product/pocket-stove-with-windscreen-incl-2x27g-002-227-00/
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 10:50:48 AM »
I have NO idea. LOL This is what I was talking about. Someone diy'ed it. Seems functional. Probably way better than my little stove will come out. I had to scroll down through the thumbnails to see the windscreen. I wonder why they don't highlight that on the page. It loks like they stole the guy's idea. Unless he just copied theirs. I saw it a long time ago and saved the picture.

I'll do a side by side of my little one and the esbit to see what they each weigh.

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 12:40:16 AM »
These little folding stoves in the picture exist already for a long time. Produced still till this day, not only by esbit. The oldest one I've seen was from the 70's by the communist regime in eastern Europe.
I used to have one from a army dump shop, but it's not practical at all.
My very favorite folding stove is the Titanium Lixada wood stove:

It goes completely flat in a small, weighs almost nothing, easy to setup.
I've made also some mods to 2 other ones so you can use them either independently or connected to each other if you're not the only one using it.
it fits still in a cargo pocket or haversack.

https://dabberty.com/?p=2924
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com