Author Topic: Overnighter in the Smoky Mountains  (Read 475 times)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Overnighter in the Smoky Mountains
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:56:28 PM »
Spent the night in the Greenbrier area of the Smokies. Two friends and I hiked in Friday morning and out Saturday morning. We returned to a back country camp site we stayed in a few years ago. It is one of my favorites. No great elevation or scenic overlooks but it is a lesser traveled area of the national park and it is a relatively quick and easy hike. The camp site sits atop a hill and is big, open, and grassy. I like the old steam engine that has been lying in Injun Creek for about 100 years. There is an old McCarter family cemetery in the middle of the woods. Several rock walls remain from the time the area was settled and farmed. Still some fall colors on display. High temps in the mid 50's, low last night was about 34F.

Back Country Camp Site #32

Newer hang. I have used the Sea 2 Summit tarp a couple times. First time I used my new Hummingbird Hammock. I have some sort of hammock fetish; I have tried a half dozen I guess. They have all been fine but I keep looking for the perfect one in terms of size, weight, etc. Really like this one - super light 5+ ounces, 1.5 size has plenty of room but lighter and packs a lot smaller than the Eno Super Sub I have used for the last couple years. Also used my Klymit KSB 20 sleeping bag for the first time with the Klymit Hammock V insulated pad. Temp bottomed out about 34 but I stayed toasty all night and had to unzip a couple times to let in some air. 

I think I have posted pics of this engine/tractor on here before.

The old engine in Injun Creek ... some newer maps have changed the name to Engine Creek. Legend has it the operator was drunk - err allegedly drunk - and rolled the machine down a ridge into the creek. Seems credible, local moonshine probably involved.

Some of the rock walls still stand proud...

...others have been all but reclaimed by the forest.

This is still my user Kephart. Been in the wet and humid conditions in the Smokies multiple times and O1 steel still looks pretty good. I just try to keep 'er dry and add a little oil when I get home. I suck at feather sticks but I think the knife is capable.

Modified a sheath and used a D-ring with removable pin to add a dangler loop. I like the low ride option when carrying a backpack.

Took along a Case carbon steel Sod Buster Jr. It is pretty slicy.

Return hike Saturday morning. Some of you know that is my last name; my ancestors were some of the earlier Europeans to settle the area. Latest "died" dates I saw in the cemetery were 1910-ish. Probably some of the last folks to have lived (and died) in what is now the national park.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 07:30:19 PM by Sarge »
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
Re: Overnighter in the Smoky Mountains
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 04:57:43 AM »
I know that place.  We just left from our cabin up around there .  You nailed the color time.  Seems like it's later and later. 

Nice camp.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 09:39:33 AM »
Great looking trip and I agree you timed it well with the fall colors.  Fall is my favorite time for the woods with all the colors.  I like the trips too with a goal of sorts to reach a landmark or relic.  Hammock setup looked good too.  I made a hammock some time back for myself and both kids.  They are actually holding up well and we like them.  I haven't gone off the deep end though like is easy to do.  I'm sure you're on hammockforums and it is easy to swap gear as the search continues for "the one".  Thanks for the share Sarge!  Nice knife too!

:cheers:
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
I did a search on that old Nichols & Shepard steam engine/tractor and came up with the history of the company and its products.  If you choose to read the article it reveals that a lot of them suffered the same fate as this one did......

https://www.farmcollector.com/steam-traction/history-of-nichols-shepard-port-huron/
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 05:52:20 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Yep, madmaxine, I think the colors are later than usual this year. But maybe I think that every year.

Cool you have made your own hammocks, OE. Very cool. I have lurked some on hammockforums but never posted.

That is a good article, wolfy. Thanks for sharing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
Nice trip Mike.  Beautiful country there.  I really like that photo looking up through the canopy of trees.  Great colors.  A hammock sounds pretty good these days.  The ground is too hard on old bones.

Interesting wreck and I knew of the company only because I have an Oliver 550 tractor and in reading about Oliver it was mentioned that they bought this company.

It is nice to have a sense of roots in an area and to know that your ancestors were there where you walk today.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 04:40:34 AM »
Trips like this are the chicken soup for the soul.  Glad you got out.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 07:19:48 AM »
Great way to say it Crash. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »
Yes! Well said, Crash!

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 12:48:37 AM »
Nice trip & pics, thanks for sharing
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing and looks like a fun trip, marked the area on my Google maps for a visit.

For light hammocks I picked up on hammock forums a used Streamliner from Simple Light Designs for $25. It's a great hammock for backpacking but not fun trying to sit in due to the cat cuts on the long edges of the hammock.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/products/streamliner
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
Thank you, Dabberty!

Hope you make it there, Greyhound. It?s a good area to explore and I really like the grassy knoll campsite. I haven?t heard of that hammock brand. I?ll check it out? then I?ll probably want to try one? haha