Author Topic: Russel green rivera  (Read 1486 times)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
Russel green rivera
« on: May 11, 2021, 04:49:28 AM »
I picked up a couplr green river bades last time i was at smoky mountain knife works. Last night i put a hande on a dadly
 The handle seems short to me.
 I could have cut the back of the knife off square and then slip it into a slit, leaving the scales a bit longer. I may cut the handle area into a wide rat tail so to speak and slip into.antler or chunk of wood. Pour a tin bolster and call it good.

Any thoughts?

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
Re: Russel green rivera
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:06:40 AM »
Want to add, it seems like the knife blank is about a inch or so too short in the handle area.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 06:04:33 AM »
I picked up a couplr green river bades last time i was at smoky mountain knife works. Last night i put a hande on a dadly
 The handle seems short to me.
 I could have cut the back of the knife off square and then slip it into a slit, leaving the scales a bit longer. I may cut the handle area into a wide rat tail so to speak and slip into.antler or chunk of wood. Pour a tin bolster and call it good.

Any thoughts?

Without a picture it's hard to tell,  I'm assuming that you're using wood, were it me I'd first consider making my handle how ever long I needed it to be, then I'd make a shim the same thickness as the knife material with one end that matches the shape of the pommel, epoxy and pin the scales on and grind the handle to the shape and finish that I want, for a Dadley style knife I'd probably use Curly Maple or to be more period authentic maybe Hickory, but I am partial to Curly Maple. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 04:30:00 AM »
thanks for the reply. I took the handle off and made a longer one. Slip a piece of maple and put the blade into it.

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »
I don't have any of the modern Russell dadleys, the ones with the sculpted spines; don't think I've seen one with factory scales.  The 1/4" thick dadleys of old had 4-1/2 to 5" grips and were thicker and deeper, and all the ones I've seen (and owned; I still have two) had checkered ebony scales, as did the period clones.  I took one of the 6" dadleys, probably a 60's Eddie Bauer just like the bicentennial Russells, and cut the handle area down to a rat-tail and put it in a salvaged Russell walrus ivory carver handle, with a smallish guard, just for a dress-up prop; it came out looking like a Michael Price gambler's bowie, but it's not very practical and the rat-tail would probably bend if it got into a challenging scrap, or stuck between somebody's ribs.  The dadley drop-point, or spearpoint blades inspired lots of followers, but the real grandaddy of the thin ones was a Brit trade knife that's still traded throughout the empire, as is the scalper.  For a long time the major cutlery folks have turned out a sticking knife with the same profile, but sharpened both sides, that was thinner yet.  Got any pictures of yours to share, or are you a Luddite like me that doesn't have the grandkid skills to post one?
windy

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:00:21 PM »
I have a modern Dadley and never took a photo of it.  Walnut handle I put on it and used hunting a few times forty years or so ago.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)