Author Topic: Save! - 1968 Camillus Pilot's knife  (Read 753 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Save! - 1968 Camillus Pilot's knife
« on: September 11, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »
Came across this at an Antique Mall for the whopping price of $5.99.  Always wanted one of the older ones in the Vietnam era.  This one was ugly and had no sheath but seemed worthy for a quick project at that price

After some vinegar, wire wheel brushing, and steel wool over about 45 mins we have the below product.  Also rubbed in some work boot lotion into the leather handle.  Jack is claiming it as his first knife.  With the double finger guard I am leaning towards this being a good first knife for him.  Handle and knife are still rock solid.  We'll see how much we want to pretty it up on the finish but he likes the vintage look to things so we'll see over time.  Not bad though for a quick project

thanks for looking

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Re: Save! - 1968 Camillus Pilot's knife
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 06:28:15 PM »
Great scoop at an antique store. Looking forward to seeing your project progress pics.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 07:26:25 PM »
Awesome!  I know that I have one someplace.  Now, where that someplace is eludes me at the moment.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:33:38 AM »

You done good,  those pilots knives are really tough and can take allot of abuse,  allot of the outdoor folks in my area of New England like to modify them and use them for trail and camp knives, to get one that's still usable by a maker like Camillus is like getting the best part of a wishbone.
  While there's nothing wrong with pretty if it's a safe queen,  but in a user I much prefer to see the remnants of  adventures past collected on a well cared for knife.
  Allot of old Ka-bar, Camillus, PAL  and other military survival and fighting knives have outlived their leather sheaths,  but the designs are simple and they are fairly easy to replicate.

Congrats, great find.   :thumbsup:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 12:23:23 PM »
Nice find, and it really cleaned up nicely.

I have two Camillus pilot knives; one blade marked, and one butt marked.  Picked one up back in the 1970's, and the other I think in the 1980's. Original sheaths and sharpening stones.  The first one I got is blade marked but not dated.  The second one is butt marked and dated 1967.  I "think" the blade marked one is older, but not sure.

Many years ago...maybe late 1990's, a collector told me they were going for $100 each.  I never did any research, so I have no idea if that is correct or not.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 08:56:58 AM »
Nice find, and it really cleaned up nicely.

I have two Camillus pilot knives; one blade marked, and one butt marked.  Picked one up back in the 1970's, and the other I think in the 1980's. Original sheaths and sharpening stones.  The first one I got is blade marked but not dated.  The second one is butt marked and dated 1967.  I "think" the blade marked one is older, but not sure.

Many years ago...maybe late 1990's, a collector told me they were going for $100 each.  I never did any research, so I have no idea if that is correct or not.

Thanks folks.  Icepick15 you are correct on your dating according to what I found on the web.  Camillus started in 1967 putting the maker mark and date on the butt end, prior to that it was stamped on the blade with no date. 

Well Jack and I have cleaned it up a little more and we have a sheath on order.  I'll post some updated pics in a week or so hopefully. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »
Great find and good job on cleaning it up a bit.  I have a similar knife but like Crash don't know where it is currently hiding.  Need to look at it when and if I can find it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
1095 steel ya can't go wrong. Mine got some surface rust while in storage in the sheath. I no longer keep my knives in a sheath while stored.

I'll get this wrong probably but I changed the bevel on the edge. 21* to a  25 * maybe. It was too much of a wedge like a metal chisel. It now slices much better, feathers nicely and works great for the try stick notches and stuff.

I got mine for a dollar at a garage sale and it looked brand new. I've told it before but I was just looking at it. I said to my wife," this is a nice knife." The guy heard me and said give me a buck for it. Yup. Looked at it better in the car then goggled it. I was ecstatic.
This is the knife you want when working with wood nails!

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
I've never made wooden nails, but I have made tent pegs for my tipi and splitting wedges or 'gluts' from ash, oak and apple wood.  I liked his idea of placing the nails at the bottom of the coal bed....better than the way I did it by toasting the point over an open flame. 

Thanks for the video, xj! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
Did some more cleaning and got a sheath for it!  Pretty cool this knife is still made by Ontario Knife Co.  Made it easy to get the exact sheath for it.  Jack is ready to roll!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 02:50:08 PM »
Did some more cleaning and got a sheath for it!  Pretty cool this knife is still made by Ontario Knife Co.  Made it easy to get the exact sheath for it.  Jack is ready to roll!

Ya Done Good.   :thumbsup:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
I have what might be a copy of this pilots knife.  Got it cheap at a yard sale.  No name on the blade or the pommel so it is probably a knock off.  It holds a good edge and is easy to sharpen so I suspect it is something like 1095.

If I could find it I would take a photo of it.

XJ I have a crock stick sharpener that Lansky made a  fair bit ago that instructs you to use the 20 degree holes to get a good edge and then switch to the 25 degree holes to finish it off.  You're on the right track.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »
Thank you. I used a lansky kit. clamped the saw section into the jaw. Took my time and it was worth it.

Here is something I did that might be a usefull addition maybe. It's about 10 feet of paracord and wound around the belt loop then out the holes for a sling. I had a cotton ball and fish hooks stuffed in there with a ferro rod too. Just a dirty cotton ball now.

I'm using IBB image hosting. let me know if you can't see these. If this worked I'll be posting here more often.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
Good way to carry spare paracord and fire started supplies.  Should work fine.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »
I like the idea.  Can see the pictures just fine.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 02:57:16 PM »
Yes that is a good idea!  Thanks for posting!  Bring on more pics too :) 

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 06:46:21 PM »
I?m late to the party. Great find and a great save!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)