Author Topic: Equinox  (Read 335 times)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
Equinox
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:38:41 PM »
Autumnal Equinox greetings.

Not necessarily a holiday but a time long observed to mark the change of seasons. A observation made long before exiting and likely most previous religions so it's more a secular thing.it seems.

The Equinox and harvest moon mark the transition to winter and all that used to entail. Some of the old ways may be gone or practiced on a hobby level but regardless of what problems we may have it's good to know some things keep on keeping on.

Best wishes to all.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Equinox
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »
I think autumn is my favorite season of the year, although I look forward to the first green shoots of springtime, too.  This has been a weird year....not much bad winter weather, but the rain has been mighty scarce this summer.  It seems like we always get about the same amount of yearly precipitation, but when it comes in the form of snow, I look forward to reconnecting with my Kraceneuner brothers in sunny Florida. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 06:20:23 PM »
First day the sun appears on the right (south) side of Mt. Rainier, when viewed from my recliner through the picture window.  This being the great northwet, I don't always get to verify the phenomenon, but this morning's sunrise, blood-red through the east-side clouds, was as perfect as they come.  Grouse season!  Went out Monday and saw two bears and a porcupine--and missed two grouse, dangit!
windy

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 04:41:16 AM »
Headed back to the cabin in a week or so.  Looking forward to something special this year.  The National Park Service has refitted  some or all of those scenic binoculars with color blindness corrective lenses.  I don't have severe color blindness but really haven't understood the hoopla surrounding the leaf change.  Heck maybe it'll inspire me to pop for personal color corrective glasses.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 04:47:48 AM »
First day the sun appears on the right (south) side of Mt. Rainier, when viewed from my recliner through the picture window.  This being the great northwet, I don't always get to verify the phenomenon, but this morning's sunrise, blood-red through the east-side clouds, was as perfect as they come.  Grouse season!  Went out Monday and saw two bears and a porcupine--and missed two grouse, dangit!
windy

I lived in your neck of the woods for several years (stationed at Bangor) and was amused (but relatively true) of the expression on how to tell the weather.  If you can't see Mt Rainier it is raining.  If you can see Mt. Rainier it is about to rain.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:19:43 AM »
I've always looked to the wooly bear caterpillars. usually more brown less winter more black more winter?  This year they seem to be 100% brown or 100% black. So it would seem nature is also divided as much as the world is right now.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 11:33:03 PM »
Most of the trees here are evergreen but in the ritzy parts of town all the deciduous trees are turning color.  I love fall!  This summer was extremely hot and smoky, I'm almost looking forward to winter while we still have winter.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 04:44:32 AM »
Not much change in seasons here in FL. 

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 02:28:29 PM »
My A/C is running.  So much for fall.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 08:41:32 AM »
We turned ours on for a bit yesterday Ice.  Hot it was.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »
Morning rucks have been glorious lately.  Headed to the cabin in a few days.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 04:43:04 PM »
humping the boonies sounds great