Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 115179 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #700 on: October 14, 2021, 06:38:35 AM »

I woke up yesterday morning to a light frost on the front lawn,  does that count ?   :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #701 on: October 14, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
First snow of the year yesterday and continuing today.  I am guessing about 7 to 8" at our place right now.  Higher wind today, some tree branches are laying on my deck rails and I heard one hit early this morning.  A no travel warning and city offices in the nearest town are closed.  Temp says it is 33 F  but it said that last night too. 

I wonder, at the moment, why I didn't put the snow blade on the skid loader?

We were in Custer for a few days (love the area) and we?re planning on heading west. The forecast looked serious, so we headed south. Will be in Texas a few days and figure out where to go next.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
Crash you went the right direction.  They got 22" in Whitewood and Crook City area, about 18" in Spearfish.  Shut down travel in the area including the Black Hills. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #703 on: November 02, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
Well fall took a hike and let winter peek in for a bit.  14 degrees at 6:45 AM this morning.  We have been waiting for a hard freeze to let the cows in on the alfalfa fields, guess we got it.  :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #704 on: November 02, 2021, 01:00:39 PM »
14 is chilly. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #705 on: November 02, 2021, 07:13:09 PM »
Well fall took a hike and let winter peek in for a bit.  14 degrees at 6:45 AM this morning.  We have been waiting for a hard freeze to let the cows in on the alfalfa fields, guess we got it.  :-\

We got our first HARD freeze this morning.....18 degrees.  Thank goodness we didn't drop to the lows that Stan experienced this morning! :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #706 on: November 03, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
 :-X  Yeah I'd feel bad for you if you got as cold as we were.   :cheers:
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #707 on: November 04, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »
oh boy am i next sure hope not. gird up thy loins and get that firewood put by

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #708 on: November 17, 2021, 08:08:55 AM »
Wow.  I had to put on my fuzzy slippers this morning.  But it'll be 81 today.  We might go down to Kelly's sister's river house on the Rainbow River and SUP.

You hard core can have those ice storms.  Been there.  Down that.  Won't do it again.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #709 on: November 17, 2021, 08:19:06 AM »
It was 30 F here at 6:00 AM.  Wind out of the NW at about 40 mph with gusts well over that.  If hell were a cold place it would be like this I think.

Wind should die down about 9:00 PM according to the prognosticators. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #710 on: November 17, 2021, 08:35:40 AM »
I remember trees exploding from the weight of the ice.  I remember the school bus just a leeeeeetle out of control on black ice.  I remember ice skating on the country road to my house.  I remember checking the trough heaters every morning so the livestock got their water.

I remember growing up knowing the tragedy of losing livestock to the cold and sickness.

I also remember White Christmas'  :)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #711 on: November 17, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »
19F as the sun was starring to lighten the horizon but calm in the high desert valley at the Southern Rockies. About normal for this time of year.   Projected high in the low 60s and clear for today  Good morning to pull the rocker up to the wood stove. Life is good.

I remember ice skating on ponds and the reckless bravado that caused kids to dry out by the bonfire on the shore. Sledding on steep hills we iced down after a snow was a lot of fun even if kind of chancy.

Not much of either in the desert. Im good with that.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #712 on: November 17, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
We were elementary age when my brother(everybody hated) broke through  the ice.  We were not supervised. Which wasn't unusual back then.  But we were cub scouts.

Human chain and some very brave boys pulled off a save.  And my other brother saw him home  and the rest kept skating.  No big deal.  On Stingrays.

Hardy Boys, Huckleberry Finn, Tarzan,  .  We rocked the adventures.

Prove me wrong cell phoine kids.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #713 on: December 10, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
Snowing today.  Started last night sometime and about an 1" at 5:30 AM this morning.  Not real cold, about 25 F and no wind.  I took the mail down to the box on the county road and there were no deer under my tree stand.  Probably holed up in the gully on the north side of the farm.  The reservoir has frozen but it is pretty thin still and looking at the next seven days there will be a little snow next week.  I doubt this drought will be over any time soon so whatever snow we get is welcome.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #714 on: December 10, 2021, 01:37:01 PM »
I sat in the back yard splicing Christmas tree lights.  In my underwear.  Hey.  My neighbor mows his grass in his.  But he works for the Sheriff so...

It got too hot in the sun so I had to move to the shade.

huh?

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #715 on: December 10, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »
well max i've never seen 81 below here but i have experienced 50 below.
few days ago it was 6 degrees at 7am. this winter will have to wear the animal furs.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #716 on: December 10, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
80 below with wind chill factor on snowmobiles.  Anyway it was freakin' cold.  I would not do well a 0 anymore.  The only time I'm comfortable at freezing is at rendezvous in wool and skins.
huh?

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #717 on: December 10, 2021, 05:18:50 PM »
Windy and cold (for here) with storm blowing through and what looks like good mountain snows but none in the valley so far. Temps in the low teens tonight. Heating is a wood stove and the first winter roast is working in the dutch oven. Seems right all around.

Trust everyone will br warm and safe.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #718 on: December 11, 2021, 10:10:03 AM »
We received our first significant snowfall of the season yesterday.  It snowed all day yesterday, but only accumulated to about a 3-4'' total.  Temperature stands at 30* today, but it's supposed to get up to 62* next Wednesday.  I might even sneak in one more ride on the Heritage before Christmas! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #719 on: January 01, 2022, 09:06:53 AM »
A balmy -13  this New Years Day morning.  Calm and a light skiff of snow overnight.  Cold enough for this old man but I still like the crunching sound your boots make when walking in powder snow when it is this cold. 

With no cows on the place there isn't much to do except stay in the house or fire up the wood stove in the shop.  A good start to the year for us.  My son didn't lose his place in the big grass fire down in Colorado but the building he works in is damaged and it will take a couple of months to repair.  We are grateful his apartment made it and he has been transferred to a different job until things are rebuilt. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #720 on: January 01, 2022, 07:20:40 PM »
New Year's eve was -26oF. New Year's day, we warmed all the way up to a -15oF.
'Tis not a good time for the Contessa to go barefoot!

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #721 on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:42 AM »
A balmy -13  this New Years Day morning.  Calm and a light skiff of snow overnight.  Cold enough for this old man but I still like the crunching sound your boots make when walking in powder snow when it is this cold. 

With no cows on the place there isn't much to do except stay in the house or fire up the wood stove in the shop.  A good start to the year for us.  My son didn't lose his place in the big grass fire down in Colorado but the building he works in is damaged and it will take a couple of months to repair.  We are grateful his apartment made it and he has been transferred to a different job until things are rebuilt.

Glad your son came out relatively unscathed.

It was 85 yesterday and I had to mow the lawn.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #722 on: January 02, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »
Thanks Dave.  Mowing the lawn isn't something we do up here except for a couple of months each year. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #723 on: January 06, 2022, 08:14:12 AM »
Yesterday was windy with temps around 8 below.  This morning it is calm and a balmy 14 below.  Supposed to get up to 5 above today.

I am thankful, so far, that the power has stayed on and that I split a lot of oak awhile back.  The cat likes the woodstove too.  Supposed to get into the twenties and thirties during the day on Thursday through the early part of next week.

This is the first year I fully understand why people around here who are my age leave for Texas and Arizona in the winter.  I spent yesterday sharpening knives that didn't need it and making deer antler zipper pulls.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #724 on: January 06, 2022, 12:25:14 PM »
That sounds like almost the same weather we're getting, Stan.  It's going to get up to +3* here today but I still can't complain too much....it's been the mildest winter that I've ever seen for these parts.  It gets REAL cold for a couple of days, but then it seesaws back up to the mid-40s for a few days. :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2022, 02:15:15 PM »
Same out here.  We are about 0 right now and tomorrow it should be high 20's and low 30's for a few days.  Not much snow either.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #726 on: January 07, 2022, 04:39:41 AM »
It's been pretty mild here as well.  A few days of teasing cooler temps and then back up to the 70's and 80's.  No freezes.  Not even any frost.  Guess I'll head to the mountains next weed for some camping with some cooler weather.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #727 on: January 07, 2022, 09:41:21 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
(Mark Twain)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #728 on: January 11, 2022, 06:59:41 AM »
Unusual weather in the southern rockies. Nights in the teens with days in the high 40s. Bone dry except above 9k feet and not all that much snow pack which we primarily rely on. The days are comfortable but the lack of perception worrisome.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #729 on: January 25, 2022, 06:50:40 AM »
Minus 22oF with a 9mph wind gives a windchill of -42oF this morning. We're supposed to warm up to a -9oF today,

Whoopee (circles finger in the air with no enthusiasm)

I should go out and start my standby generator just to see if I can get it going in these temperatures. That's what I should do, But I can see that what I should do and what I actually do are going to be two different things when it's this cold.

The plan for getting the generator running in cold like this was to heat the engine with a little Mr. Heater buddy heater for a couple hours before trying to crank the engine over. But as I think about it, I'll bet the propane wouldn't vaporize enough to run that little heater. So that leaves me with sliding a pan of hot charcoal briquettes under the gen to warm it up enough to start it.

Hmmm....A pan of red hot coals under a generator with a full 5 gallon gas tank. Just to see if it can be done. Sounds like a project for a Darwin award! Not today if I don't have to.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #730 on: January 25, 2022, 02:10:53 PM »
Minus 22oF with a 9mph wind gives a windchill of -42oF this morning. We're supposed to warm up to a -9oF today,

Whoopee (circles finger in the air with no enthusiasm)

I should go out and start my standby generator just to see if I can get it going in these temperatures. That's what I should do, But I can see that what I should do and what I actually do are going to be two different things when it's this cold.

The plan for getting the generator running in cold like this was to heat the engine with a little Mr. Heater buddy heater for a couple hours before trying to crank the engine over. But as I think about it, I'll bet the propane wouldn't vaporize enough to run that little heater. So that leaves me with sliding a pan of hot charcoal briquettes under the gen to warm it up enough to start it.

Hmmm....A pan of red hot coals under a generator with a full 5 gallon gas tank. Just to see if it can be done. Sounds like a project for a Darwin award! Not today if I don't have to.

I believe that propane will not turn back to liquid until it reaches around -40F.  At your temps you may lose some pressure, but if your tank is full it should still work.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #731 on: January 26, 2022, 05:37:11 AM »
The 20 pounders from a grill will work, as will the larger 100 pounders and up. As long as you don't draw to much from them at any one time. A little buddy heater is OK hooked to a BBQ tank, a 150,000 BTU furnace is not.

But those little one pound canisters are pretty helpless when the temperatures drop. If you bring the canisters indoors to warm up before taking them out to use in the little Mr. heater, you'll be OK. But if your storing the one pound canisters outside in the 20 below zero weather, they'll fire up for a few seconds, and then as the pressure is bled off, the heater will quit. You can get the pilot light lit, but as the catalytic burner comes on, it glows for a few seconds and then winks out.

The people that heat their houses with propane will usually have a 500 gallon or larger propane tank to ensure adequate pressure and volume to the household furnace during those cold spells.

Cold temperatures are hard on everything. Number 2 diesel at 35 below zero attains the consistency of bacon grease at room temperature. About the same color too. Kind of a cloudy milky white.  At 40 below zero, you can stand on an oil drain pan with 80/90 weight hypoid oil in it and just leave boot prints. You won't sink to the bottom.

I heat my house with electric and have a fuel oil backup furnace. I have a 275 gallon tank of fuel in the basement, because if it was outside, the fuel would never flow through the feed pipe in cold weather. Keeping it in the basement allows me to burn number 2 diesel. If the tank were outside in the cold I would have to use number one diesel fuel in order to get it to flow. Number one costs more.

I use number one diesel in the tractor for snow removal but I only go through 25 gallons or so through the winter months. When the number two diesel gets cold, the waxes precipitate out and plugs up the fuel filters. And there you sit until you swap out the filters and dump a bunch of additive into the tank to dissolve the waxes. An all around pain in the butt at 15 or 20 below and the wind blowing. Spend the few extra dollars and burn number one.

Many, many years ago. Before the advent of modern ignition systems. If conditions were just right. A super cold night and then a warm front would move in in the morning. The engines (gasoline in cars, trucks, airplanes and tractors) would draw that warmer air in on the first crank of the starter and the moisture in the air would condense on the spark plug electrode because it was colder from the night before.

Now a warm front moving in just means that the temperature has gone from a neg 40 to a neg 10. Enough of a change to cause condensation on the spark plugs, but not warm enough to make pulling and drying out spark plugs on an engine a fun time in the morning.  Luckily it was a rare occurrence that didn't happen every year.  Since then, better ignition systems, block heaters and heated garages have made this almost a thing of the past.

This is all old news for the folks in Canada and Alaska. On the other hand, we don't run into hot weather vapor lock very often either. But, better engineering and fuel formulations have pretty much eliminated that too.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #732 on: January 26, 2022, 07:26:34 PM »
The 20 pounders from a grill will work, as will the larger 100 pounders and up. As long as you don't draw to much from them at any one time. A little buddy heater is OK hooked to a BBQ tank, a 150,000 BTU furnace is not.

But those little one pound canisters are pretty helpless when the temperatures drop. If you bring the canisters indoors to warm up before taking them out to use in the little Mr. heater, you'll be OK. But if your storing the one pound canisters outside in the 20 below zero weather, they'll fire up for a few seconds, and then as the pressure is bled off, the heater will quit. You can get the pilot light lit, but as the catalytic burner comes on, it glows for a few seconds and then winks out.

The people that heat their houses with propane will usually have a 500 gallon or larger propane tank to ensure adequate pressure and volume to the household furnace during those cold spells.

Cold temperatures are hard on everything. Number 2 diesel at 35 below zero attains the consistency of bacon grease at room temperature. About the same color too. Kind of a cloudy milky white.  At 40 below zero, you can stand on an oil drain pan with 80/90 weight hypoid oil in it and just leave boot prints. You won't sink to the bottom.

I heat my house with electric and have a fuel oil backup furnace. I have a 275 gallon tank of fuel in the basement, because if it was outside, the fuel would never flow through the feed pipe in cold weather. Keeping it in the basement allows me to burn number 2 diesel. If the tank were outside in the cold I would have to use number one diesel fuel in order to get it to flow. Number one costs more.

I use number one diesel in the tractor for snow removal but I only go through 25 gallons or so through the winter months. When the number two diesel gets cold, the waxes precipitate out and plugs up the fuel filters. And there you sit until you swap out the filters and dump a bunch of additive into the tank to dissolve the waxes. An all around pain in the butt at 15 or 20 below and the wind blowing. Spend the few extra dollars and burn number one.

Many, many years ago. Before the advent of modern ignition systems. If conditions were just right. A super cold night and then a warm front would move in in the morning. The engines (gasoline in cars, trucks, airplanes and tractors) would draw that warmer air in on the first crank of the starter and the moisture in the air would condense on the spark plug electrode because it was colder from the night before.

Now a warm front moving in just means that the temperature has gone from a neg 40 to a neg 10. Enough of a change to cause condensation on the spark plugs, but not warm enough to make pulling and drying out spark plugs on an engine a fun time in the morning.  Luckily it was a rare occurrence that didn't happen every year.  Since then, better ignition systems, block heaters and heated garages have made this almost a thing of the past.

This is all old news for the folks in Canada and Alaska. On the other hand, we don't run into hot weather vapor lock very often either. But, better engineering and fuel formulations have pretty much eliminated that too.

Spoken by a man with experience in these matters. 

WOLFY APPROVED! :hail:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #733 on: Yesterday at 05:27:04 AM »

It's been in the single digits and mid teens here in my part of the northeast for most of the month, we've had a couple of minor snow storms but are predicting about 18"'s for the weekend.     :fire2:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #734 on: Yesterday at 06:45:31 AM »
A recent 5" snow was our first in the valley for this very dry winter. Finally using some of favorite winter gear with high temps in the 30F highs on our coldest days. I don't even know what minus 10, 20F is much less minus 40F are like.  Im good with that and hope those who do stay warm.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #735 on: Today at 01:45:16 AM »
We've had a good amount of snow so far but it's been a pretty warm winter.  We've had a few days that were down around zero but we should've had some deep negative temps by now.  Not complaining though!