Author Topic: ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD  (Read 186352 times)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
Nice :drool:

The wife and I were talking about grilling last night.
I think I'm going to bring our Lodge Sportsman's Grill with us to the campout next weekend and grill us up some steaks on Friday night 8)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
We grill year around. I've been known to push 18" of snow off the grill to do a Thanksgiving turkey.  :rolleyes:
We actually tallied it up once, and have 12 alternative ways to cook a meal, if we don't count our electric range/ovens (x2).
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
We usually grill a lot too.
For some reason, we didn't grill that much last year :shrug:
I plan to change that this year though.
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
Last week we put on training classes and lunch for 200 people in South Florida.  While I didn't do the cooking......I did my fair share of eating.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
Not sure how I've missed this thread.  Glad y'all bumped it today!  Do we need to make it a sticky?  Some very cool stuff in here.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
Been doing a little bit lately...just too busy to post up.

Brined some chickens and did a nice gas grill on them:

Got the Weber rolling too.  Hickory smoked some beef roasts after a week dry aging in rub in the fridge.

Sorry...no after pics.  I was hungry.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2013, 12:07:05 AM »
I might have mentioned before that I used to be a distributor for Lil' Devils Smoking Pellets.
Well, when the dust settled, I ended up with a shed full of different pellets.
So this afternoon I fired up the Weber and threw on a couple packets of mesquite pellets.
A cup of pellets makes for a lot of smoke!

The end result was a melt-in-your-mouth smoked turkey dinner....

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
First time for pork butts.  Mustard glue and my regular rub, aged two days in the fridge.  Took a cook-off pot luck at church with this one:

My new bbq work table.

Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Ok, the weather is getting real nice outside for a lot of us, though our Florida guys have been battling the heat for some time now already.

Anyhow, time to get the BBQ thread going again!

I have been wanting to try some of the recipes in here and a couple of days ago I finally got a smoker to use at the new house, a little 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. I had such great results with my Weber Q100 that I figured I'd give their smoker a try.

Anyhow I just wanted to bump this back to the forefront since I know a lot of us will be doing some smoking this summer.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »
Funny you should bring this up.    Tonight I'm making ribs in the chicken combo on the stove but am trying Famous Daves rib rub.   I've been wanting to try it to see if I like it.  The other package of country ribs will go on the smoker this weekend for my birthday treat.

What are you planning to toss into your smoker PW?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2014, 10:54:24 PM »
Funny you should bring this up.    Tonight I'm making ribs in the chicken combo on the stove but am trying Famous Daves rib rub.   I've been wanting to try it to see if I like it.  The other package of country ribs will go on the smoker this weekend for my birthday treat.

What are you planning to toss into your smoker PW?

WW.

I'm going to see if I can find a pork shoulder to try first. I won't be able to fit a whole brisket, it will have to be cut in two but I do want to try that as well.

I've been reading about it and there are two prevailing opinions that it should be seasoned with a couple of no-meat burns first, and that you can cook right away without seasoning it. I'm probably just going to cook in it.

I went to 5 different stores today looking for hardwood chunks for smoking and finally found them at the last place I was going to look. Everywhere else had the little chips. I got a big bag of hickory and a bag of mesquite. They also had apple and cherry but I will wait to try those.

I need the wind to calm down out here before I try it since I don't want to have a hard time regulating temperature.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:09 AM »
I went to 5 different stores today looking for hardwood chunks for smoking and finally found them at the last place I was going to look. Everywhere else had the little chips. I got a big bag of hickory and a bag of mesquite. They also had apple and cherry but I will wait to try those....

Don't discount smoking pellets. They provide more smoke, and last longer than chips/chunks in any smoker, including standard BBQs.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2014, 12:27:13 AM »
I went to 5 different stores today looking for hardwood chunks for smoking and finally found them at the last place I was going to look. Everywhere else had the little chips. I got a big bag of hickory and a bag of mesquite. They also had apple and cherry but I will wait to try those....

Don't discount smoking pellets. They provide more smoke, and last longer than chips/chunks in any smoker, including standard BBQs.

I didn't see pellets, just the small hardwood chips you are supposed to use with foil or smoke boxes in grills. I have a couple of bags of those but I always thought they were useless because when I grill, most foods are on the grill less than 10 minutes and they get hot enough to seal up and not accept smoke pretty fast.

The chunks I like because I can throw 3 or 4 on the coals and get the smoke I need and then once they are done I don't end up over smoking it and making it bitter. I made that mistake the first time I tried making ribs. When they were done they were perfectly cooked, but unpalatable because I had kept adding wood every time the smoke stopped pouring out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2014, 12:50:17 AM »

I didn't see pellets, just the small hardwood chips you are supposed to use with foil or smoke boxes in grills. I have a couple of bags of those but I always thought they were useless because when I grill, most foods are on the grill less than 10 minutes and they get hot enough to seal up and not accept smoke pretty fast. ...
I'm not familiar with the chips you're talking about, but I am very familiar with the hardwood pellets. They are compressed, extruded pellets that look identical to pellet stove pellets.

For about 2 years, I was the on-line sales distributor for a brand of pellets out of Oregon. If I'd been better at marketing, and had more working capital, I'd still be doing it.  I demonstrated these pellets at fairs and trade shows.
I've used the "sawdust" sold in small bags, wood chips, and even make my own smoking wood from apple and cherry. But I'm sold on the superior performance of the hardwood pellets.
Just to give you a comparison, the wood shavings sold for Big and Little Chief smokers will last about 20 minutes in their standard wood tray. A full tray of pellets will last close to 3 hours.

There's a certain time in the cooking process you want to add smoke. Too early and it can taint the meat. Too late, and the crust formed on the meat prevents the penetration of the smoke. And as you found out, it's not uncommon to over-smoke something.  Also matching the type of wood to the type of meat can make a BIG difference!

There is a very popular brand of smoking pellet on the market today that dominates. Unfortunately, they are sold as "maple", "apple", "hickory" hardwood pellets. They are not pure woods of those types (some softwoods such as fir, hemlock, cottonwood, etc. are used for filler) and they are actually flavored artificially.  The pellets I sold were the actual wood they claimed to be. These pellets were so superior for smoking I actually got M&S Meats in Montana to switch to them after 30 years of using 'sawdust'.

I bear no ill will toward the company, even though we had to part ways. I still think their product is the best in the industry.  They used to be available at Wal-Mart, and Home Depot. I'm not sure how far they distribute now, but I'm sure mail order is still available.

http://www.wowpellets.com/lil-devils-bbq-pellets

FWIW....

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
Super Grilled Potatoes!

Sorry, they disappeared too fast to get pix, and it's not really a "recipe", but here goes.

Take a medium sized baking potato. Boil it until it's just cooked, but not mush. Chill in a cold water bath and remove the skins.

Get a large sweet onion. Remove skin and peel off only the outer layers, cutting vertically (top to core). Leave them in large halves.

Wrap the onion layers around each potato, covering it completely.

Wrap the onion wrapped potato with 1-2 slices of bacon.

Wrap the potato-onion-bacon bundle in a double layer of foil.

Put on your grill, medium hot, and keep rotating during cooking to prevent burning the stuff inside. Once the package stops steaming, hissing and dripping, the onion is cooked and the bacon is cooked. If you do everything just right, the bacon is slightly crisp.

Open the foil, slice through the onion/bacon layer and dress as you would your favorite baked potato. We like ours cut up so the chunks of onion and bacon are mixed in, topped with sour cream, chives and cooked bacon bits.  Butter is optional since the potato finished cooking in all that bacon grease.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »
PW I use nothing but wood in my smoker. I'm not sure about the wood up there you might use but try knocking off the bark after the first hour. A lot of the tannins that make that bitter taste are in the bark.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
PW I use nothing but wood in my smoker. I'm not sure about the wood up there you might use but try knocking off the bark after the first hour. A lot of the tannins that make that bitter taste are in the bark.

All the cherry and apple wood I use is seasoned the point the bark has fallen off already. ;)
My wife smokes her turkeys in a Webber kettle, and doesn't soak the wood. She says stuff comes out tasking like a wet dog smells when she does. :rolleyes:

I use pellets in my Big Chief, and the Brinkmann smokers.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »
Yeah if I want to use wood I will have to buy it. The juniper and pine is full of resin that would make food taste bad. I'm guessing poplar wouldn't be too bad flavor-wise but it would burn up pretty fast compared to denser hardwoods.

It has been super windy out so I haven't used the new smoker yet. I did make a roast in the crock pot (I know) using a dry rub, and I stumbled upon a pretty good sauce recipe in the process.

So a lot of sauces start with a ketchup base. I had a can of "Manwich Bold" in the cupboard so I gave that a try. I put the roast on a rack and filled the pot with the can of Manwich Bold, and a few dashes of liquid smoke. Then I added a can and a half of water and stirred it up. 10 hours later, after all the drippings from the roast falling in, it lost most of it's sweetness and became a great spicy sauce that is thin enough to penetrate the meat but thick enough not to run off immediately.

I wish there was another way to make this sauce other than cooking Manwich under a roast for 10 hours but I can't think of any way to do it fast or reproduce the drippings. It will probably be one of those one-off things that was pretty good, but not so amazingly good that it's worth doing again.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »
Yeah if I want to use wood I will have to buy it. The juniper and pine is full of resin that would make food taste bad. I'm guessing poplar wouldn't be too bad flavor-wise but it would burn up pretty fast compared to denser hardwoods....
Alder is primo for fish. We don't have much alder here, and it's all scrub wood when you do find it. A neighbor uses poplar for his Kokanee salmon smoking. De--lish!  :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
We splurged tonight. Had to do something to chase the wasps out of our forlorn little BBQ.

Marinated shrimp, rib steaks, and "armadillo eggs".  After a steady diet of chicken and pork, I'm going to have a 'red meat hangover' tomorrow, I'm betting.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Fired up the Weber Smokey Mountain today with a pork shoulder (actually, only part of one, a picnic roast) in it. I'm using the "Minion Method". It has finally come up to about 175oF after about a half hour. I expect it will be in the sweet spot in another 15-20 minutes. I got started quite a bit late today but I really wanted to try it.

My wife left me and our daughter at home today to go up north to SLC so there really wasn't a better time to try it. My little helper and I will be going up to the grocery store a little later to get some supplies to try making sauce.

It is threatening to rain, so that could ruin the whole thing...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:22:40 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

It is threatening to rain, so that could ruin the whole thing...
Rain might cool it down a bit, as long as it's not a downpour, you can compensate. I've been known to be out flippin' burgers with an umbrella in one hand. :P

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
So far, no rain.

I might try to move it under our roof overhang if it looks like it is going to rain for sure. I have heard of people doing it but it is dicey because the center section has no handles.

Anyhow, the thermometer says about 225 but the meat is down on the bottom grate so it's probably a little cooler down there. Still, it seems to be chugging along nicely with just thin smoke coming out.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Ok, I felt a couple of drops so I moved it under my awning. It should keep most of the rain off if it decides to come down. I was surprised to see how quickly it came back up to temp and settled in. Only took about 15 minutes to recover from being opened up and moved. It's now up around 240F so I'm thinking this will be a good smoke.

I am already VERY impressed with the WSM! It hasn't required much effort on my part at all to regulate the temp. Just made sure the 3 bottom vents are about 1/3 open and it has been quietly chugging along. My last smoker with the offset firebox wouldn't settle in at a steady temp. I gave it away, and the new owner had to use a hair drier to keep it working.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2014, 08:19:08 PM »
I am already VERY impressed with the WSM! It hasn't required much effort on my part at all to regulate the temp. Just made sure the 3 bottom vents are about 1/3 open and it has been quietly chugging along. ...
My Brinkmann has no vents. It's wide open at the bottom around the fire pan. Not my first choice brand for a smoker. :(

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »
Well this one started to cool off around 7 hours in. I added more charcoal and it came back to 240 again. But the sun was going down so I brought the meat inside and wrapped it in foil and have it in a 275F oven with a thermometer in it. It's at 155 inside the meat now. I'm waiting for it to reach 190 or so then I'm going to take it out. I hope I get there within the hour because I have a hungry family and it's already late.

Should have done ribs, they would have worked well for the shorter time.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »
Ok, just finished a sandwich. Didn't have time to take pics as it is way too late. Best thing I've ever cooked outdoors. (At least, partially outdoors in this case.) :drool:

Lessons learned:

I will use only briquettes, not lump. The briquettes are very consistent and easy to work with. I may go to lump charcoal after I gain more experience but for now briquettes are the way to go.

Next time I will use a thermometer probe inside the smoker. It has a little silicone port for one and I will make use of it.

Next time I do a big hunk of meat I will use the upper rack where it will be hotter.

Other than that, I am calling it a success. it got a nice pink smoke ring and good bark. The flavor is amazing. It's like a campfire sandwich. I used 3 chunks of hickory to start, and one more chunk about 7 hours in just for kicks.

I will continue to use the Minion Method, but with more coals to get it going initially.

There is a whole chicken somewhere with Weber written all over it...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »
Sounds like you were happy with the results.
But I'm curious. Why 190F?  Pork is usually well done at 165F-175F.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »

Everything I've read says you want 190-195 if you're making pulled pork. It is easier to pull apart.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »

Everything I've read says you want 190-195 if you're making pulled pork. It is easier to pull apart.
Ah... I missed the part where you were doing pulled pork. For some reason I thought you were just smoking a shoulder roast.

Here is a really comprehensive page on grilling. I have several books, and none of them go into the "science" of grilling like this one does.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_science.html

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
First off, great choice on the WSM smoker. I've had mine for a few years now and use it at least once or twice a month. Like Old Philosopher, prior to this I had a brinkman smoker with the open bottom. It was decent for a short smoke, but very difficult to regulate for a long smoke. I typically use charcoal for chicken thighs and salmon, but for longer smokes, I use Stubbs lump charcoal using the minion method of charcoal placement and really load it up.

At a recent camp at KICCO, I smoked two 8 lb. pork shoulders. I put them on around 10:30 pm, and they were at 195 degrees by 2:00 in the afternoon the next day. I added a little bit of charcoal the next morning. At 165 degrees, I wrapped them in tinfoil and put back in the smoker. When I pulled them off at 195 degrees, I wrapped each one in a towel and placed in a empty cooler bag for about an hour and a half. When pulled out of the bag, they were both still hot and took no effort to pull apart.

I do leave a digital temperature probe in the meat during the cooking process, with the probe exiting out from the top vent.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
Thanks a bunch, guys! :(  Just what I need...ANOTHER smoker on my Wish List. hahaha.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »
Firing up the WSM again today. Butterflied a chicken.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »
Here it is about an hour into the cook. It should be done already but the weather decided to get really windy so I'm having a hard time keeping the temperature hot enough to cook the chicken. It is well into the "smoke" range, but chicken needs more heat to get crispy skin.

I ended up sticking a wireless thermometer probe into the thigh so when it gets to 165*F I'll flip it over and give it a little grill over the coals before bringing it in.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
Lookin' good, PW!

Sorry, no pix, but last night we did fajitas on the grill. Marinated flank steak, and veggies in a perforated grilling pan. We had a mix of red and green bell peppers, sweet onion and jicama. First time with the jicama. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
Lookin' good, PW!

Sorry, no pix, but last night we did fajitas on the grill. Marinated flank steak, and veggies in a perforated grilling pan. We had a mix of red and green bell peppers, sweet onion and jicama. First time with the jicama. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Sounds yummy!

I forgot to take a pic before digging in! :drool:

I let them get a little hotter than the recommended 165*F. I measured 172*F in both thighs and called it good. The skin wasn't crispy, because it was too windy to get the temperature high enough. But the flavor was excellent, and it was some of the juiciest chicken I've ever cooked. I only used two small hunks of hickory at the very beginning. It gave it a perfect, mild smoky flavor without overpowering the rub.

My wife likes the breast the best, so we ate those first. Later we will have the thighs and legs. I ate one of the wings, and the skin was crispy on there at least.

Now I just have to wait for the coals to go out so I can clean up the smoker and store it again.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
That sure does look tasty, great job PW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »
Thanks! Hopefully I'll get some time to do another smoke soon. This is only the second time I've used my WSM. The chicken was nice because it's not an all-day sort of thing like brisket or a picnic roast.

Maybe I'll do ribs next time. I need to redeem myself after the awful ribs my last smoker produced. :D

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
Hey PW..next time you do a smoke... toss on some boiled shelled eggs... :)  They will turn brown like a brown shelled egg but oh that taste of smoke on them is gooood.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
Hey PW..next time you do a smoke... toss on some boiled shelled eggs... :)  They will turn brown like a brown shelled egg but oh that taste of smoke on them is gooood.  :)

WW.

Thanks for the suggestion! How long do you leave them on?

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:03 AM »
One thing I do with chicken if you like Mojo is put a whole chicken in a gallon freezer bag dump a bottle of mojo and push out the air.  Set it in a bowl in the fridge for 24 hrs and smoke it. Makes awesome Mexican dish. The yard bird looks great PW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
Thanks! I had to look up Mojo but it sounds like something I would like.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
I got MY mojo workin' :banana:

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Sorry PW it's in every grocery store down here. Do you have ability to get it up there? If you have a Mexican market there you should find it.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »
Sorry PW it's in every grocery store down here. Do you have ability to get it up there? If you have a Mexican market there you should find it.

As fate would have it, yesteday morning I was searching for the type of sauce used on a Cuban sandwich. :D

Turns out the mojo is a pretty big deal. It's of recipes out there for it, some with cumin and some without. I am going to keep am eye out next time I go to the store. If I can't find any, amazon usually works for specialty non perishable food like blue runner red beans.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »
.... It's of recipes out there for it, some with cumin and some without. I am going to keep am eye out next time I go to the store. If I can't find any, amazon usually works for specialty non perishable food like blue runner red beans.
If you've found recipes for it, I'd build my own. It's our habit to find something we like on the shelf by accident, read the ingredients, and then tweak it to our own taste.  As you know, the ingredients on a product label are listed in descending order of their relative proportions, so there's a guide right there.
I'd never paid any attention to "mojo", but thanks to this thread it's on the ToDo list now!

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
Last week I picked up a Brinkman Smoke'n Grill, and am falling in love with it!   Getting into BBQ'n/smokin, but got alot to learn.  Tried ribs last weekend, the taste was awesome, but overcook.   

Today I'm doing a 6lb boston butt. Its seasoned with Mccormick pork rub, and soaked in apple juice overnight.  Got the brinkman going, with water/apple juice in the drip pan, and wet mesquite wood chips in the coals.  Will report how it comes out..

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
Here's a mojo recipe:

1 cup sour orange juice ** 
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon bay leaves
1 garlic bulb
1 teaspoon cumin
4 teaspoon salt
4 oz. of water
4 oz. Pineapple juice

** You can replace the sour orange juice with the following mix:
6 oz. orange juice
2 oz. lemon juice

Peel and mash the garlic cloves. Mix all the ingredients and let it sit for a minimum of one hour.

Multiply the above recipe by 4, this will give you enough to marinate a whole pig and to keep extra to use as a dipping sauce. Mix the dripping of the pig and mojo, mix 1/2 and 1/2 to create amazing gravy to pour over the meat.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:54:44 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
Looks great! Yours looks like a dead ringer for my Brinkmann.
The main thing I don't like about my Brinkmann is the open bottom. I'd prefer a closed system like PW's, where I could regulate the draft.  I'm thinking seriously of modifying mine.
My wife does all the serious smoking on her Weber kettle grill. I have a Big Chief smoker for kokanee salmon, jerky, peppers, etc., but I'd like the Brinkmann to be just as versatile.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
Wow!  I started out looking for one thing, and ended up on this site.

I guess there are occasional summer grillers, weekend grill chefs, serious backyard smokers, and then there are anal retentive perfectionists.  :lol:

If you have about 15 minutes to kill, check out this guy's article, and the mods he did to his Brinkmann. Wow...again.

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm