Author Topic: Tri-Tip  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
Tri-Tip
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
So, some a while ago my phone crashed and I lost my Tri-tip recipe. yesterday i tried recreating it for an upcoming competition

my dry rub

Cumin
Pepper
sea salt
garlic
rosemary
california sagebrush

It marinated for three hours

I then cooked it for thirty minutes at 450 degrees... this is the result... super delicious and tender. Ha i barely had a smidge. The neighbors took the rest

Today, my mom asked me to try it with chuck roast. though I am not a big fan, I conceited. This will be different. I have to cook it slow and low for about four hours, I reckon. But it has been marinating for 3 hours with my dry rub

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Re: Tri-Tip
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
Your making me drool! :drool:

Keep your nose in the wind, your eye on the skyline... I stole it from Wolfy ;)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
Man! That looks out of this world.

And cooked to perfection too,

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »
^what LV said :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Looks fantastic! :drool:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »
Rub a dub dub, hurrah for the grub to those meats.   O:-)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
Beautiful.  Cooking really is the best form of art :)
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
So, some a while ago my phone crashed and I lost my Tri-tip recipe. yesterday i tried recreating it for an upcoming competition

my dry rub

Cumin
Pepper
sea salt
garlic
rosemary
california sagebrush

It marinated for three hours

I then cooked it for thirty minutes at 450 degrees... this is the result... super delicious and tender. Ha i barely had a smidge. The neighbors took the rest

Today, my mom asked me to try it with chuck roast. though I am not a big fan, I conceited. This will be different. I have to cook it slow and low for about four hours, I reckon. But it has been marinating for 3 hours with my dry rub

WELL,     :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
Sorry, Moe

Well, as expected, the flavor was there, but too tough. The solution however, was slice it really thin to make it tender and make some amazing sandwiches...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
Sorry, Moe

Well, as expected, the flavor was there, but too tough. The solution however, was slice it really thin to make it tender and make some amazing sandwiches...

Alan,  next time try this,  use your rub,  marinate over night in the fridge,  next day smear the meat with yellow mustard and give it a healthy shake of ground black pepper,  put it in a shallow roasting pan, pour in a can or bottle of light Beer,  cover it with foil and put it into a preheated 325 oven for two hours, then uncover and turn the broiler on low and cook until it starts to get crusted.
  It should be flavorful and tender.

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »
Moe, I've done the mustard thing before and is one of my favorites. Works great with top sirloin

I have to admit with tri-tip I've had no success at lower temperatures and keeping it tender. The flavor was there, but the only way to make it tender was running it through the meat slicer for sandwich cuts. Maybe it's just me. I'll give it another whirl sometime.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »
Moe, I've done the mustard thing before and is one of my favorites. Works great with top sirloin

I have to admit with tri-tip I've had no success at lower temperatures and keeping it tender. The flavor was there, but the only way to make it tender was running it through the meat slicer for sandwich cuts. Maybe it's just me. I'll give it another whirl sometime.

Don't feel bad my friend,  I've tried recipes that have been given to me from folks who have had wonderful success with them and I have failed with them.
  Personally I've never met a piece of tough meat that didn't come out tender after low and slow braising, about the only thing left if that doesn't work is the pressure cooker,  that will usually turn an old pair of combat boots into a tender if not exactly flavorful morsel.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 07:56:43 AM »
Looks good Alan ... two questions tho, whats California Sagebrush, and I've never seen Tri-Tip up here in Southern Ont, is there another name for this cut of meat ? thanks
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »
It's a triangular cut from the bottom of the sirloin.......just the latest in the series of labels they think up to name 'cheap' pieces of meat that they sell at a higher price. :deadhorse:

EDIT:  I said 'round' & meant 'sirloin' :-[
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:16:02 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
Zammer?California Sagebrush is an aromatic chaparral plant found all over Southern California. Think of it kind of like rosemary but not. You won't find it in the stores. Ya have to go pick it.

Moe?Duh don't know why i didnt mention this, but I was looking for medium rare. Slow and low would have over cooked it. By the way, ya just gave me the hanker'n for some slow and low briskit... Sounds like a 18 hour party yo me

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
It's a triangular cut from the bottom of the round.......just the latest in the series of labels they think up to name 'cheap' pieces of meat that they sell at a higher price. :deadhorse:

LOL  But so true, wolfy! Like "flat iron steaks" that comes to mind.
:thumbsup:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »

Offline xune

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
Awesome reference pics Alan, much appreciated. 😊
I'll tell you what hermits realizes. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »
Awesome reference pics Alan, much appreciated. 😊

Agreed, thanks for adding those Alan  :cheers: Sounds as tho I'm outta luck with the sagebrush for any time in the immediate future  :(
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:40:16 AM »
Zammer, don't be afraid to use local aromatic plants you find in the wild. That said, be sure they are completely safe to consume.

I did another tri-tip last night without the California sagebrush and you could definitely tell the difference, so it really does make a difference.

My neighbors are loving me. I keep feeding them, lol.

The irony of it all, I don't really enjoy eating my cooking. I just enjoy the process. But someone else can clean up the mess.

Personally, I'm just a pop open a can of soup and eat it from the can without heating it. Oye, it's so efficient.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
My very first job was working at a meat market. I was 18 and had been working there about a year. This guy comes in and asks for a tri-tip. I asked back "what is that". He tells me it is a cut of beef. I tell him there is not such thing. I had been studying meat cutting, I knew all the cuts and how to break beef so I thought I knew what I was talking about. He left mad. That next week my boss has us put out tri-tip steaks. The same guy comes back the following week, boy did I feel stupid. Ahhh the arrogance of youth.  :shrug:
Nice matters