Author Topic: And chickens... :)  (Read 1431 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
And chickens... :)
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
I also have a small movable chicken coop in the works.  I'd like to have four hens and one rooster.... so will an 8x8 pen with a 4x 8 foot fish house attached to it be enough room? 

And as a side note...has anyone raised quail or chukars?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: And chickens... :)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
That is enough room for four hens and then some. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
Thank you Stan. :)      I'm going to find out today just how well I can screw two by fours together.   Might end up looking like the leaning tower...  ha.

I'm getting pressure from dog owners to raise quail.  I've been doing some deep digging into Cortunix Quail... they look like a multi purpose bird.   Anyone have experience with them?

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
I believe Swamp has quail too.

My wife wants a few chickens.  I know what's going down if that happens.  Pets.  Eggs fine. Wringing necks and eating not.  I'm the same way with pigs.  They just get to me.  So now we transport fowl back and forth to NC twice a year.?  grrrr.  We'll probably end up doing it despite me.  There's something about throwing them a roach that is obscenely satisfying.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
Thank you Stan. :)      I'm going to find out today just how well I can screw two by fours together.   Might end up looking like the leaning tower...  ha.

I'm getting pressure from dog owners to raise quail.  I've been doing some deep digging into Cortunix Quail... they look like a multi purpose bird.   Anyone have experience with them?

WW

You are welcome.  WW when it comes to quail all the hunting dog owners I know want to train with Bob White quail.  You might want to check with the people pressuring you to raise quail what kind they are thinking of.

If you do go with the Coturnix birds here is a good link about raising them.  http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/102281/coturnix-quail-basics-information-and-pictures-galore
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
Hey Max.... neighbor has a potbelly pig for give away.  She wont let me have it cuz I'd butcher it... lol     However I do think I might get her chickens....hee

Stan..and Bobwhites are THE biggest no no here with out a permit..and expensive permit from what I gather. 

I didn't mess with 2 x 4s today..but I did learn to run a skill saw, making my first nesting box for rabbit cages.  Messed up and ran to lumer yard for some 'band aid wood'.  ha ha.  Looks pretty good at 24 x 15 x 15.  :)

Wheres Swamp?  And OP  wheres OP...??

WW

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Stan..and Bobwhites are THE biggest no no here with out a permit..and expensive permit from what I gather. 
WW

Even so WW don't raise a breed of Quail that dog people don't want.
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
So true.   I think I'd still like to try Corts... this way I can learn about quail on a cheaper bird.  The eggs and meat are a plus.   Maybe I can sell the meat to hunters who like quail. I don't know...  just something I'm playing around with.  Chickens need to come first as far as pen making.  :)

I just talked to a pheasant hunter tonight... there is so very few of them again this year.  This last spring really put a dent on them. :(   

WW