Author Topic: Hammock Camp with the Missus and Finn  (Read 6005 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Hammock Camp with the Missus and Finn
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
Life in general's been nuts for us lately, but we were able to get out for an overnighter last Saturday-Sunday. The weather's unseasonably warm at the moment. We got highs in the 80's over the weekend. The high today was 90! :shocked:

Probably all in all we did less than 10 miles total both days but we wanted to start the fall-winter season with something small. Yup, Finn's still on leash. He's slowly earning our trust back, but we're not there yet.

This is the place! A high spot with drainage on one side and a little trickling creek on the other. Not an official campground but well established at this point. Fire ring and all.

"Just take the d*** picture." I caught myself on a branch I hadn't noticed while setting up the tarps. All I heard was wood cracking. Bled pretty good for a minute but I was fine.

Back to work on the camp. You can see the little space blanket tube tent I threw together for the pup to crawl into at night.

All done!

Dinner time! I was starving by this point. Grilled spam and instant mashed taters were on the menu.

Needless to say, it was incredible. I made a very inelegant version of one of those hand-held grills I've seen a couple guys on here make. Looks like **** but it did the job.

Spent the rest of the evening by the fire sipping tea, a little whiskey, and talking. We were bushed!

More pics to come.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:50:36 PM by diogenes »
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Re: Hammock Camp with the Missus and Finn
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
We have had the same problem with the weather down here. Those picks are really nice. I like your tarps been wanting to make one myself.Thanks for taking us along.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »
Next morning:

Overnight, from sundown to sunup, we had about a 40 degree temperature drop. To cut down on weight I'd brought my green patrol bag. My toes were freezing by morning. I was warm otherwise, but it might be time to spring for a better lightweight bag.

Finn slept surprisingly well, having a little den to crawl into. You can see part of the runner we'd made for him so he could have a little more movement around camp.

Hot coffee, oatmeal, dried fruit and jerky for breakfast.

We took our time to enjoy the morning before striking camp.

Back in our shorts and t-shirts we got back on the trail to finish the loop.

Neat country. Ancient mountains not much more than hills now.

These were everywhere. They look like oyster mushrooms, but I wasn't sure. :-\

Bluffs.

I look mad here for some reason. Maybe I was starting to feel the weight of the pack.

Armadillo skeleton. We saw a couple of these while we were out.

Taking a break after the last big ascent. It was a killer!

But that view. The autumn leaves aren't at they're height yet, but still beautiful.

It was all pretty much downhill from there. Good bye, woods. See you soon.

One final note. Somehow we didn't come out covered with ticks, which I was expecting considering how warm it was. Didn't find any on us and only a couple on the dog. Kind of a small miracle as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for looking, fellas! :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »
Good pics Diogenes.  Nice country.  It looks like Finn is on a leash with you but off with your wife.  How is he doing in the woods now?

Boy that Spam looks good.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
Great photos of the trip, Diogenes! :thumbsup:   Autumn is my favorite time of the year here in Nebraska, too......as you can probably tell from the embarrassing number of foliage pictures I've been posting in my Nebraska thread. :-[    I never seem to tire of looking at the Fall photos from all areas of our world.  It's USUALLY cooler, but we've been having unseasonably warm weather this year.....I noticed flatlander88's report noted 85* temperatures over the weekend, too!  Might as well take advantage of it while it lasts, it can't last that much longer......can it? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
We have had the same problem with the weather down here. Those picks are really nice. I like your tarps been wanting to make one myself.Thanks for taking us along.

Thanks, SH! The tyvek works pretty well once it's all wrinkled up. It's deafening otherwise! On one I put some duct tape-reinforced grommets and attached it to a ridge line with some fancy friction knots. The other I just used sheet bend knots with no ridge line. Ridge line is the way to go for sure.

Good pics Diogenes.  Nice country.  It looks like Finn is on a leash with you but off with your wife.  How is he doing in the woods now?

Boy that Spam looks good.

Finn is on leash or on a line about 95% of the time when we're out in the sticks. When we're at my buddy's place where there are other dogs he can run with we usually trust him off leash then. I really think he'd be fine, but last December really scared the crap out of us.

And, boy that spam was good. ;)

Great photos of the trip, Diogenes! :thumbsup:   Autumn is my favorite time of the year here in Nebraska, too......as you can probably tell from the embarrassing number of foliage pictures I've been posting in my Nebraska thread. :-[    I never seem to tire of looking at the Fall photos from all areas of our world.  It's USUALLY cooler, but we've been having unseasonably warm weather this year.....I noticed flatlander88's report noted 85* temperatures over the weekend, too!  Might as well take advantage of it while it lasts, it can't last that much longer......can it? :shrug:

I love autumn, too, wolfy. Definitely my favorite season! I'll have to revisit your thread. I haven't signed onto the forum in a couple weeks, so I've got a lot of catching up to do! :P

I do like the warm weather, but I'm more than okay cooler weather. The swing from 80 down to 40 really threw me for a loop at night.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »
Glad to see ya'll had the chance to get out, get some fresh air, & enjoy!
:thumbsup:

Cool looking country to hang out in!
:)

BTW. I see ya trimmed the beard.
;) 

Thanks for sharing the trip with us!
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »
Great report.  That's awesome your wife will go out with you in the woods too.  Thanks for the share
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
Hey amigo...great report.....blood spilt, a scar perhaps, to commemorate the event ;)
Finn looks great...and yer lady ain't bad lookin niether...well done!!!...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »
Great pics and write up.  Cool trip!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
Glad to hear you got out and great pics!

I have thought about the tyvek but the noise has always been the deciding factor. 
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
Pretty country, and great pictures as always.  Thanks for posting.   :D

This weekend, I'll be off myself, for three days/ two nights in Georgia.  Can't wait.  :)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »
Great trip report Diogenes, and your pics are just super!!  I'm glad to hear Finn is coming around- I bet a lot of it has to do with him being more mature.

That was a great looking camp you got set up, and I'm glad the cut wasn't worse!!  Your pics really amaze me- they seem to keep getting better and better.  Great colors on the scenery there.   We've already had frost a couple times and then back up to the high 70's, so I hope we get some good color changes like that here too.

Hope you all get some more time out soon  :thumbsup:

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
Some real nice colour in those shots, can't believe how fast fall arrived and is quickly departing. Past couple days here have been warmer than norm too, but they are talking below freezing fri or sat perhaps overnight... keep enjoying the time out while you can, thanks for the pics.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »
Looks like a great trip.  Great pics. Thanks.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
Glad to see ya'll had the chance to get out, get some fresh air, & enjoy!

Cool looking country to hang out in!
:)

BTW. I see ya trimmed the beard.
;) 

Thanks for sharing the trip with us!
:D

Thanks! Yup. Shaved the beard clean off a couple weeks ago.  ;)

I miss it! :'(

Great report.  That's awesome your wife will go out with you in the woods too.  Thanks for the share

Thanks, OE! Sometimes it means a little more work for me, but it's definitely worth it having her along. She enjoys her time in the woods. She was carving her own tent stakes and learning a couple knots while we were out there. :)

Hey amigo...great report.....blood spilt, a scar perhaps, to commemorate the event ;)
Finn looks great...and yer lady ain't bad lookin niether...well done!!!...woods

Thanks, woods! If it scars up, it's a pretty good reminder to be more aware when I'm concentrating on something.

And, yup, I'm a lucky guy. ;D

Great pics and write up.  Cool trip!

Thanks, Max! Planning the next one now.

Glad to hear you got out and great pics!

I have thought about the tyvek but the noise has always been the deciding factor. 

When the tyvek's wrinkled up it's not bad at all. It makes a little noise when you're working with it, but once it's taut you won't hear it at all.

Pretty country, and great pictures as always.  Thanks for posting.   :D

This weekend, I'll be off myself, for three days/ two nights in Georgia.  Can't wait.  :)

Thanks, Mannlicher! Enjoy your trip! :D

Great trip report Diogenes, and your pics are just super!!  I'm glad to hear Finn is coming around- I bet a lot of it has to do with him being more mature.

That was a great looking camp you got set up, and I'm glad the cut wasn't worse!!  Your pics really amaze me- they seem to keep getting better and better.  Great colors on the scenery there.   We've already had frost a couple times and then back up to the high 70's, so I hope we get some good color changes like that here too.

Hope you all get some more time out soon  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Dan. We had a great time and I can't wait to get back out. I have to work the next two weekends but I'm trying to get a camp together with some buddies soon. Probably hard to tell, but I was carrying my Mora Robust in one of your sheaths this trip. It stays in there pretty secure, more so than the factory sheath for sure. :)

Some real nice colour in those shots, can't believe how fast fall arrived and is quickly departing. Past couple days here have been warmer than norm too, but they are talking below freezing fri or sat perhaps overnight... keep enjoying the time out while you can, thanks for the pics.

Thanks, zammer! Yup, we're getting the same temps Friday and Saturday, too. Once the cool-but-not-too-cold weather rolls in I try to get as much time out as I can.

Looks like a great trip.  Great pics. Thanks.

Thanks, Crash! :cheers:

Offline mibuwulf

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:30 AM »
nice hang camp and great view!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »
That area is amazing. I'm wondering if you washed the tyvek to make it soft? I heard that it will still shed water after a good run through the washing machine and get soft.

A year or so ago I posted a tree that was shredded (other forum). It was popular opinion that a porcupine did the damage not a bear. For most of August our horse would stay in his paddock area and stare at the woods. 3 days straight he would get a mouthful of feed and come back out to stare at the woods.

Last Saturday I was out with my ridgeback. She disappeared and wouldn't come when I called her. First time she ever didn't come when called. After 15 minutes of wandering and listening I decided to go get my dirt bike. She loves to chase it and can hear it for miles. As I was walking out of the woods it sounded like a tree fell. When I got to the house the dog was on the porch.

Yesterday the news reported a bear trap was set in Hanibal. About 7  miles away.

I didn't even have my pocket knife and it was getting dark. So very happy Julia was on the porch, but I won't go back there unarmed again.

Sorry to unload on  your post but it isn't worthy of it's own post and I wanted to tell the story. I love this time of year and more so enjoy time with my pooch. So thank you for the share. I am jealous and really enjoyed the pictures.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
Looks like a great time! Love the pup. My min pin is a hand full too. They add a dynamic I enjoy. Appreciate the trip

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline U.W.

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »
YES!!!!
Man-oh-man do I love reading your posts, and seeing the GREAT photography you take/post up!!  This latest trip is certainly no exception! 
The trip looks great!  and what an awesome time of year it is to be hiking in the woods!  That spot y'all hung at by the creek is SWEET - I love hanging/camping/sleeping by running water. 
I admit I chuckled a little when I read "frozen toes" - lol - I too have suffered from that - lol.  It definitely has a way of interrupting, or interfering with, an otherwise awesome night of sleeping in the hammock...

I've been steadily keeping at my own hiking, and covered many new miles (even got to see a nice big ole' bear)  :) - but haven't posted any of it :-[

Thank you for taking the time to put the post together, and post it all up!  It is a fantastic post!!

u.w.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »
xj35s: LOL. No problem. Kind of spooky, really. The missus said she woke up to some animal making noise in the creek while I just snored away.

Glad you enjoyed the post. Mostly I wrinkled the tyvek up by hand, twisting it in different directions, etc. I also threw it in the dryer with a shoe to kind of beat it up a little.

Creek: Cheers! Glad you liked it. :)

U.W.: Well, considering I enjoy your trip reports so much I'm really happy you enjoy mine! The wife's got a heck of an eye for photography and I try and keep up, I guess. ;)

That spot was great. I'd like to go back some time soon. I like the sound of the running water at night, too. I've been using a sound machine at night recently and using either that or the rain sound. Puts me right to sleep.

I'm working on a temporary solution to the cold toes issue. I had some extra space blanket material from making the dog tent and cobbled together some 'booties' I could tuck into the bottoms of my longies (local parlance for thermals around here). I've tried 'em for a bit today and my feet were cooking! Should help in the sleeping bag on a cold night. I'll give an update on how they work after camping next weekend.

Again, thanks for looking, guys. I'm always happy to share. :)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 03:42:40 PM »
Glad you got out, Diogenes. And thanks for taking us along. Awesome pics!
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Hammock Camp with the Missus and Finn
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
Wow, D, AWESOME trip report! Thanks heaps!

A couple of things I'd like to say... I appreciated how you cleverly blocked that stick with your head! I like your style! Well done! (Man, that really could have hurt someone if you hadn't have broke it off like that...)

Also, I like the tyvek tarps! I think I need one for winter time. How's about a little DIY post on that? I know it's already on the innerwebs, but it might be cool to hear exactly how you did it.

Such an awesome place! Man, I'm super excited that you guys got out! Finn's looking great buddy!

Thanks again! Lovely pics! Glad I caught this one!

ETA: D! I remember what else I wanted to say! You kinda remind me of James McAvoy! Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
Sarge: Cheers, thanks, man! :cheers:

KK: LOL! You know me: taking one for the team! It left a little mark. We'll see if it sticks around or not.

Next time I get my hands on some tyvek for a tarp I will do a "build along" but I'm all out at the moment. Any one looking to make one in the mean time is more than welcome to ask for some tips.

James McAvoy, huh? I'll take that as a compliment. I look like young Prof. X! Thanks, buddy! :D