Author Topic: Suggestions for winter boots please  (Read 629 times)

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
Suggestions for winter boots please
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
I am in the market for winter boots. My biggest problem is the need for them to serve many functions.

1. urban Toronto winter- this will see 80% of their use, daily walking
2. daily ice rink maintenance - wet and cold
3. 1 or 2 winter camping/snowshoe/hiking trips in Northern Ontario -wet, cold, in potentially deep snow with all else that goes along with tenting in the woods in the heart of winter.

I need something waterproof, rated for around -20 celsius or better, and hopefully reasonably comfortable to walk and hike in. I had narrowed it down to the Muck Arctic Sport but after trying them on, I was sadly disappointed in how they felt. I have owned Sorel PAC boots in the past but feel they are too heavy and bulky for what I need now. I am still open to Mucks but am looking for any opinions as to what you wear or have heard good things about. I am definitely more interested in pull-ons than laced styles.

Thanks everyone.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Suggestions for winter boots please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
I wear Muck Arctic Sports boots a lot for all outdoor activity except snowshoeing.  I don't know of a better boot for the activities you list. 

I have pac boots too and there are some things they are really good for, like sitting on a tree stand in very cold weather. 

When I snowshoe I use Air Force Mukluks, the tall green ones most of the time.  They are not waterproof but do well with their rubber bottoms. 

'There are some other options of course, 800 or more grams of insulation in leather boots will keep your feet warm when active and so will wool socks and mesh insoles worn in Tingley rubber boots but they are not good for long walks. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:01:01 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline cbeck

• Mill File+
  • Yup
Re: Suggestions for winter boots please
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
Just purchased the Solomon 4d gtx boot. I spent 22 days hunting moose with them. Flawless. Didn't get into snow but can't wait to snowshoe this winter in them. Type Solomon 4d gtx review in and see what you get. Great boot.