Author Topic: A tale of two knives  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
A tale of two knives
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »

I've recently been fortunate enough to have obtained a few new (new to me) knives, this is a kind of informal review of two of them,  one is made by one of our own, Mario of MLL knives,  the other by Jeff White a well known maker in the reenactment and bushcraft community,  Both knives are made in the style of 18th. and 19th. century trade knives, both are forged blades and both retain their natural forged finish over the top half of the blade,  both have wood scales,  and both are about the same size 4-1/4" long blades, 4"+ handles, the MLL knife is 5/32" thick, the Jeff White knife is 1/8" thick,  the MLL knife is made of 01 tool steel, the Jeff White knife is made of 1095 carbon steel.
  Both knives take a  great edge, both cut like lasers, both are easily touched up with a quick stropping,  both knives came with heavy duty leather sheaths,  where they differ is in fit and finish and in price,  the MLL Knife is my second, it's the Splinter-S model,  my first is the Adirondack model,  they are very different in blade design and level of refinement,  the Adirondack has a polished blade, the Splinter-S has a forge finish,  but there is a definite attention to detail in both knives that is missing in the Jeff White knife.
  The Jeff White knife has curly maple scales that fit well, they have no spacers and they aren't epoxied to the tang of the blade, they are held on with two brass pins,  while the scales are attractive and reasonably comfortable they lack the refinement found on the MLL knives.
  Besides the difference in the level of finish there is also a difference in the price point of which they sell, on average the MLL knife sells for about $225.00 with a plain leather sheath,  the Jeff White knife sells for about half that much at just over $100.00,  I do have to point out here that the my knife is a contract knife sold originally by Robert Jones of Hand Sewn Leather,  a like JW knife is also made for and sold by The Pathfinder Store and are thicker at the blade than most of Jeff White's commercial knives that usually run about 3/32" thick,  a good point to make note of if you are planning to order a Jeff White knife that will be seeing any hard use.
  In use I can't see much difference in strength, temper, cutting ability, or edge retention between the two knives,  both are excellent blades and both perform admirably,  another difference to consider is that with the Jeff White knife what you see is what you get,  while being a hand made custom knife,  it's not made to specific customer needs,  the MLL knives on the other hand are made to order to the customers specs. and fit and finish is guaranteed by Mario to please the cusomer.
  Both of these knives fit my Traditional bent and my style of dirt time enjoyment,  I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good traditional trail/bushcraft ready knife.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: A tale of two knives
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
Having had both the MLL and a Jeff White I think your analysis is spot on.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Josefhino

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:54 PM »
Easy to understand do not do it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »

How old are you, and where are you from ?

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »

Don't expect an answer. 99.99% that is a forum spambot (wiki it if you don't know what that is)
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
It has posted on a couple of other threads.  None make any sense.  Can PW erase it from the forum?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »

Don't expect an answer. 99.99% that is a forum spambot (wiki it if you don't know what that is)

Thanks Mike, that's what I figured as well, when I saw their other two posts.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
I like your reviews, Moe. Thanks!
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)