Author Topic: "Studded tires for your shoes"  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
"Studded tires for your shoes"
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »
At least that's what's printed on the card that comes with these gems.
Just picked these up at Cabala's.  In-store pick up cost was $22.00.  After wearing them a couple days on the icy trails to my outbuildings, I'm thoroughly impressed.
They are made of high quality neoprene, grip the shoes well, and remain flexible at +7F degrees.
The studs are short enough to walk on hard floors (mud room, front porch?), but grip the ice like cat's claws!
They are serious about their size chart.  The Medium (Men's size 7.5 to 10) are real snug on my size 10 tennis shoes.  I'd recommend the Large size for most average guys (Size 10.3 to 13). They stretch a lot.

Anyway, here's the info on them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STABILicers-Lite-Ice-Cleats/1272814.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dice%2Bcleats%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=ice+cleats&WTz_l=Unknown
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Re: "Studded tires for your shoes"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:17:38 AM »
OP... Hey man, how are you?
:cheers:
Did you get them @ the cabelas in 'Zootown'?
They look great for ice fishing ;)
Send me a PM!

Keep your nose in the wind, your eye on the skyline... I stole it from Wolfy ;)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I'm starting to see more folks wearing them, they make a very big difference when walking on ice. Part of the problem when folks are on ice is when they start to slip their body tries to compensate, in doing so it tenses up and this quite often causes pulled muscles or worse the person goes down in an akward position and ends up with one of the big three, bruised tail-bone,pulled back,smoked head.... and if your older maybe a broken hip.

One, thing tho...do not walk on finished ( smooth ) concrete surfaces ( sidewalks are probably rough enough ) or metal...
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
I have a pair, different than those but the same principle, and they do work well on ice.  Especially good on wooden decks and concrete sidewalks.  They also work well on dirt with hard packed snow that has turned to ice. 

Don't walk on you hard surface floors with them on though.  :-*
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
So far I've only walked on linoleum and painted wood floors.  When I checked the traction, they scratched the linoleum!  :shocked:
If you look at the stud design on these particular cleats, half the studs are set at right angles to the others, they are not just pointy spikes.  As best I can tell this will eliminate most slipping on hard, smooth surfaces.  My big concern would be damaging hardwood floors, and the like.

Offline LostViking

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
 OP,

I actually had a pair of these in my hands today. They look very cool. They were on a display next to the small coiled spring versions. I would have bought a pair. But I blew all my fun money on wool socks.

They look way more rugged than the spring version. And seem to bridge the gap nicely between bare boots and full on crampons.

After last winter, I anxiously await your further testing.  I have to believe they will be detrimental to the long term life of your linoleum :lol:  But on the up side, they could avoid that sudden trip to the floor when coming in with wet snow on your boots and hitting said linoleum.

Very interested to see how you like them,
LV,
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:16:29 PM by LostViking »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Still testing, LV, but most of our snow has melted the past 2 days.
But I did find anther really good use for these.  They work very well on short, wet grass on slight slopes.
I just about took a sit-down in the middle of my yard during chores, so I put the cleats on and got really good traction. I also have spots where frozen ground is hidden under a thin layer of melt water, so it's a win-win situation to keep wearing them.