Author Topic: "WW2 Era" Good Bushcraft Knife Suggestions..  (Read 9389 times)

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
"WW2 Era" Good Bushcraft Knife Suggestions..
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:03:03 AM »
Okay I been work on my "old school" kit of late..I been thinking of getting a good belt knife that falls into the 50's or 40's era kit I have..This knife would be a user not for just reacting ...

So I am looking for a like a four inch blade good sheath.. USA,UK or German made.I what a bit more of a stout knife that the likes of a green river or like.A lot of the hunters made 50's look kind of cheap or often missing a sheath..

Any Suggestions guys?

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
Re: "WW2 Era" Good Bushcraft Knife Suggestions..
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:07:55 AM »
I really like this Whittingslowe knife but the price tag is $925.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231329269406?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »
you can take a look at a camillus or ontario pilot survival knife
they were in use during the korean and vietnam conflicts.
you can pick up the ontario version for around fifty bucks on ebay
i sometimes use mine...beware of knockoffs though.
stacked leather handle 1095 hc steel about a five inch blade
schrade made a very good version of the pilot survival knie in the fifties and they are still available at a very reasonable price.
 then there is the us navy's version of the k-bar, sports a five inch blade as opposed to the 7"usmc version circa 1940's...bit spendy but also available on ebay...woods
here is a link.... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2632.R2.TR10.TRC2.A0.H1.Xpilot+surviva&_nkw=pilot+survival+knife&_sacat=13956
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:18:45 AM by woodsrunner »
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:36:13 AM »
here is an old classic...great price i reckon :)
with your skills it would be a simple matter to build a nice scabbard for this little beaut...woods
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIN417-VINTAGE-MARBLES-WOOD-CRAFT-KNIFE-WITH-1916-PATENT-DATE-/361138342501?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item541585ca65

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:42:15 AM »
you can take a look at a camillus or ontario pilot survival knife
they were in use during the korean and vietnam conflicts.
you can pick up the ontario version for around fifty bucks on ebay
i sometimes use mine...

Ditto!
 :)

Woodsrunner,
   Those same knives you mentioned in your post, including the KaBars... came to mind, after reading the OP, & before I read your post . The Pilot/Aircrew Survival knife was primarily what I used since the late 70's. Up until only in the last 4-5 years did I go to using other knives that some folks say are specifically for "in the bush/woods use". Great suggestions, IMHO.
 :)

HD,

I am sure there are other knives that will be mentioned that are as good, or maybe better than the ones suggested by Woods, but now HD, ya have 2 "votes" for some dependable & sturdy knives that have shown their durability for many years of use. And the US military wouldn't use them, unless tested to high standards.
 ;)

Anyway,

G'luck in your search, HD!
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
Schrade H15?
similar size/shape as a 225q, but only 1/8 thick at the spine and aluminum butt cap so slightly larger oal than the AFSK.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
As Woodsrunner mentioned, there is the USN Mark I knife from that period.
You can get new ones in a $50-60 range. I don't know what the sheaths look like but I've always loved the look of the knife itself.
http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Straight-Leather-Handled-Knife/dp/B005GRFLTM
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »
As Woodsrunner mentioned, there is the USN Mark I knife from that period.
You can get new ones in a $50-60 range. I don't know what the sheaths look like but I've always loved the look of the knife itself.
http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Straight-Leather-Handled-Knife/dp/B005GRFLTM
sweeeet!....i want one...woods

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=196057
actually Craig...i'm building one very similer to that beaut...when shes finished i'll post a few pics...woods

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
actually Craig...i'm building one very similer to that beaut...when shes finished i'll post a few pics...woods
Woods, can I be your new best friend? :drool:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
LOL...you bet kk :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »

Hey buddy.....NO CUTTIN' IN LINE! >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »

Hey buddy.....NO CUTTIN' IN LINE! >:(
Ya snooze Ya lose, old feller! ;D
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
I have to say those Camillus knifes are pretty sweet and a lot of history with the vintage ones..Could be "issues" with a vintage knife ones. :-\

Schrade H15 is not so collectible so there seems to be drop in price..Very nice knife,hits the  spot for me ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-Walden-H-15-Hunting-Knife-/121502136363?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c4a17782b

Ahhh not shipping outside the USA! :P

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
You guys my like this... ;D

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:15 AM »
them schrade waldens are nice little knives...i bought one thirtynine years ago, left it with a friend back in maryland and he still has it all these many years later...through facebook, he sent me a picture of both my knife and the one he purchased on the same day, nearly as pretty as the day we bought them.
that day we both purchaced knives and canteens heading out for an impromptu weekend camping trip in buffalo gap virginia...he kept the knives in near new condition...safe queens i reckon...heck i'd a worn em down to nubbins by now...unfreakin believable :P...woods

p.s. HD awesome video! thanks amigo! :)

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
  This isn't an answer, but check this out....I didn't know these existed!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Navy-Pilot-Folding-Survival-Knife-UNITED-G-R-MICH-/251735674994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9c9d9072

6 inches folded, survival knife. Holy Crap!

See....all you "big knife" knockers...there have always been us on the "bigger is better" side! A 6 inch folding survival knife....wow..
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline Windigo

• Mill File+
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
Look for a PAL RH34 knife. Made by PAL Razor Blade Co. and very good design, resembles some of the old Marbles knives. Seen a few on Ebay at not terrible prices.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
Not sure if this is more Vietnam era or WW2 but: Ontario Air Force Survival Knife

Heres my modified version:

also look for the cattaraugus 225q

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 12:51:24 AM »

I like your mod to that knife Binalith...

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
Thanks dingo!

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 03:12:12 AM »
Thanks for you help guys ..I my put the trigger on this one.Solingen Germany Whitby Hunting Knife $50

What you guys think..??

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »
Look for a PAL RH34 knife. Made by PAL Razor Blade Co. and very good design, resembles some of the old Marbles knives. Seen a few on Ebay at not terrible prices.

The PAL RH-34 Hunting knife is actually a Remington Arms design,  PAL Razor Blade CO. bought out the Remington Knife mfg. line when Remington decided to quit making knives in the 1930's,  when the US saw that we may eventually get into WW-2 the Gov. decided that the US military needed a new fighting knife.
  The DOD wrote a vague set of specs for what they wanted and asked the US knife industry to submit samples and bids for a new US military fighting knife,  PAL was the first to submit a sample and bid,  what they did was to send in a sample of their Remington design RH-34 (the letters RH stand for Remington Hunter, the 34 stands for third model, 4" blade).
  The knife was submitted unaltered from it's original design,  4" blade, stacked leather handle, steel finger guard,  oval aluminum pommel, and standard leather hunter type sheath,  the DOD eventually settled on and accepted PAL's Remington design,  but wanted the knife in two models, one with a 6" blade and the other with a 7" blade,  PAL agreed to make the knife in the two blade lengths and gave them the model numbers of RH-36 and RH-37,  the DOD gave the knife the designation number US Mark 2 fighting knife.
  Though both models were eventually used by all branches of the service the 6" model was adopted by the Navy, the 7" model was adopted for combat ground troops,  the Army and Marine Corps kept the leather sheath,  the Navy adopted a hard polymer bayonet type sheath with a large belt loop and metal web gear keepers attached to the web belt loop, the hard sheath was marked USN- MK-2.
  PAL was basically a small company at the start of the war and like many companies that supplied the war effort they could not keep up with the demand for their products, so other companies made up the slack in mfg.,  just as Singer Sewing Machine Co. and others made arms,  one of the knife makers that picked up the slack for knives was Ka-Bar,  after the war PAL continued to make knives for the civilian market and made most of the folding camp knives for the Boy Scouts of America,  PAL fell on hard times in the late 1940's and shortly went out of business,  Ka-Bar continued to make the knife we know today as the Ka-Bar Marine Corps. fighting knife.

I have an original WW-2 era PAL. RH-36 Navy fighting knife in it's original Polymer hard sheath,  I did some restoration on the stacked leather handle and cleaned up the blade a little, I occasionally use the knife which is in very nice condition,  the information above came from my researching the history of my knife,  it was given to me about 30 years ago and lived in a box of old tools for many years until I rediscovered it one day about five years ago,  I always assumed it was a Ka-Bar until I took a closer look at the blade and read the PAL RH-36 model number and decided to find out more about it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:41:31 AM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
nice bit o history there Moe :)...when i did a bit of reading on knives of that era, i was surprized how many different contracts were handed out...and that many....well...most of them outfits have gone the way of the dinosaur :(...woods

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
nice bit o history there Moe :)...when i did a bit of reading on knives of that era, i was surprized how many different contracts were handed out...and that many....well...most of them outfits have gone the way of the dinosaur :(...woods

Thanks Woods,  I enjoy reading about the history of outdoor gear and early American history especially, but then again having been born in the middle of WW-2 I've been refered to as antique myself a time or two.    ;)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 04:03:53 AM »
I really like the PAL RH-34 but finding it to hard to get one for under $150.. :P To me this is a better bush blade that the K bar

It seem that the US military Army had a totally crazy demand knife at this time..Also seen old photos of GI s using hunting knifes that must of been taking from home not issued kit.