Author Topic: Materials question  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Materials question
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »

What kind of glue are using on the spacers and scales,  and what material do you use for the spacers ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: Materials question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
the spacers are vulcanized fiber liners, .030" thick. and  the glue i use is cyanoacrylate. i get mine from my local woodcraft store. its amazing stuff, if you mess up it has to boil for almost 2 hours before you can think about trying to get a scale off.

"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
the spacers are vulcanized fiber liners, .030" thick. and  the glue i use is cyanoacrylate. i get mine from my local woodcraft store. its amazing stuff, if you mess up it has to boil for almost 2 hours before you can think about trying to get a scale off.

Thanks,  I've used CA in model R/C aircraft builds,  If I can remember right it sets up PDQ, and doesn't allow much time for corrections,  does the Tight Bond act in the same manner ?
  There is also another product that I've used with the CA to make it instent set,  It's called CA Kickker,  once the pieces are glued and aligned the Kickker is sprayed on from a bottle with finger pump.
  There are no Wood craft stores left in my area,  but I can get CA at a local hobby shop,  though I don't know if they'ed have the Gel type,  the stuff I used was more the consistency of Super Glue.
  I have to go to Lowe's,  I'll check to see if they carry the type you use.

Thanks again.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
yeah moe, this stuff has an 8 second handling time and a 10 second set time. depending on ambient conditions (cold/hot/humid) the cure time varies. if you put a lot of the glue on there, it will buy you more time. normally, i can resume work on a knife about 10 minutes after gluing. some days its less, and in the winter it takes longer.

my local home depot and lowes dont carry the CA from titebond, just their regular wood glue.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."