Author Topic: PSKit knife from a Mora  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
PSKit knife from a Mora
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
Not really self made so much as self-broken. Didn't really know where to put it but I guess you could stretch it to semi-made/repurposed.  ;D

The entire process consists of filleting and quartering an old knife. Shortening the tang and snapping the blade. File for smoothness. I use the tip as a small paleo type blade in my PSK. The rest can (and has/is) in use by folks as an altoids tin psk knife.

Build along:

Get branch. In this case a downed birch lent me a limb. Get one that is comfortable to grip, and wet wood. Not dry. Dry wood cracks.

Baton like a pico beaver.

Snap, it broke! Now drive the shortened tang into the piece of wood by vigorous bashing.

And there you go. A finished knife, sort of.

You get a small tip to use for notching, cleaning game etc. Not optimal but not terrible either.

Bashed the handle off after this little build.

And it packs up nicely inside one of those nifty tin cans.

This one came off of an old Mora "Scout" knife, the plastic handle was a real hoot to get off. I broke the tang off and filed it so it doesn't have sharp edges and is kind of wedge-ey. I then filed a "notch" in the blade where I wanted it to break and used the backside of my axe to snap it. Filed that down smooth as well.

Might not be for everybody but it solved a problem of mine while simultaneously getting me into the paleo-tool thinking again through a detour.
"On little shores, and little seas, live people of little sense.
The world is half as wide, where the people are half as wise."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: PSKit knife from a Mora
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
I never would have thought to do a makeshift handle that way. Very inventive! :thumbsup:

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
Thanks, but it's the old school that came up with this one. It's just fallen out of fashion these days since it's not full tang and a quarter inch thick and able to split logs crossways on the backstroke.  ;D

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
That's cool. Something to do when you brake you're Mora. :)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

Indeed! Just add a little elbow grease and it can do a good few chores adequately.

A nice thing about the tang being filed smooth is you can use it as is, to cut, notch and do minor stuff.

Feel the stone age vibes!  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:16:38 PM by Sealegs »

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
i like it! never let a good blade go to waste!
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
nice. if it ain't broke, snap it in half and hammer it into a log. I like the cut of your jib sealegs.

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
So I was asked by a friend how the heck I use a knife tip for anything but being miserable in my PSK. I took some pictures to show my basic thinking/and painful learning by doing behind it. Might as well add them as an addendum.

You can with a bit of effort procure a shorter handle even for this little nub of a knife. You could also grip tape the sides of the blade for better purchase.

Smacking the tip into the end of the stick gives you a semi-sturdy tool. During work I'd recommend frequently checking on it and giving it a smack once in a while to keep it driven in.

Driving it into a stick from the side will give you a bit of aid when procuring grass, reeds, twigs etc for cord making or eating.

Smacking it into a larger piece will give you a good splitter for the ever important cord making.

The larger one IS better and I toyed with the idea of cutting one to fit into a snus tin but then I left the forces and had no use to delve into the morass of re-inventing the wheel.

It works but I'd rather not have lost my belt knife or folder than resort to this truly last ditch PSK.

The rest of the PSK along with the wire saw and lighter can make life quite salvageable. Some items missing from the picture, along with the small ranger band keeping the lighter from spilling gas.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
Some interesting stuff there, Sealegs.

I'm not sure I follow though: did the knife break, or did you break it on purpose?  Not that it matters, really.  It's a cool idea.

Thanks for sharing this.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
We broke knives down to fit into the tins. There weren't really any options on the market, not that I havent kept looking for fifteen years now.

Not really a whole lot of self made in this apart from some filing and breaking. Might have worked better in BC skills?

I'd love to see more stick tang PSK kit knives though. Never seen any outside of Sweden and even here only among my colleagues.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
Sure is an interesting idea... Thanks!
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »
Ingenuity at it's finest right here!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
That is a great idea Sealegs!  I have an old used Mora that is just asking to be snapped.  Thanks for sharing the trick.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?