Author Topic: M105 trailer with cap, just a glam shot  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
M105 trailer with cap, just a glam shot
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
I picked this up today and delivered it for a buddy.  Its an M105, this is usually towed behind a duece or 5 ton but my Tahoe did a fine job up and down the mountains. 

The tires are larger than usual but the big feature is the fiberglass cap.  It's going on my friends personal use M105 to be converted into a very cool camping trailer.

Here is a shot I took at a rest stop before the final leg.  I think it looks pretty good behind my ride.

Smaller tires and this would ride nice and level, but it still tracked pretty good as is.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: M105 trailer with cap, just a glam shot
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
That is a cool trailer.  I have used a M105 without the cap and they are as good as they come. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »
That is a cool trailer.  I have used a M105 without the cap and they are as good as they come.

yep, the military got that one right.  The only issue I have is the stock breaks are hydraulic so if your tow vehicle isn't equipped you have no brakes.  But they can be fitted with electric brakes if needed. 

I was able to stop with no issues, but it was empty.  A 2800lb trailer plus a 4500lb load (the highway load rating for the M105) and I would be scared to go downhill with just my vehicles brakes.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
I think that this one had a actuator of some kind on the hitch as the hydraulic brakes worked just by hooking it up to the truck.  As I recall the electric brake conversion is expensive and one would be wise to look into replacing the axle with a commercial unit with electric brakes or perhaps surge brakes. I think they make a controller that will use the hydraulic brakes when hooked to your trucks electrical system but it is pretty expensive, over $500 as I remember.     

We hauled two boned elk out of our camp with the trailer and had some gear back there two.  The trailer is, as you mention, pretty heavy and if you load it up you will need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it around.   :P 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
That is cool, beast! Glad you were able to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
That is cool, beast! Glad you were able to sell it.

This was just a pick up and delivery for a buddy of mine.  Not a sale.

But I do have two of these for sale.  M1101's.  A 2008 shown in the picture and a 2009 (not pictured here).

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
Aw, my bad. I remember this pic now. I thought it was the same trailer. Disregard my dementia.

"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 04:40:12 AM »
Very cool!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
Is that a Warn 8274 winch on the tongue?

That's going to be a great project. Will your friend post some pics of the build here?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 06:13:33 AM »
Is that a Warn 8274 winch on the tongue?

That's going to be a great project. Will your friend post some pics of the build here?

That is the wheels of the landing gear you see on the tongue in the raised position.  My friend probably won't post pictures here but I will try to sneak a few after he has completed the project. 

This is going to be a pretty cool go anywhere camper when its done. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 06:53:30 AM »
What does he tow with ?  I know that would look great behind upthecreek's Chevy...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 07:02:25 AM »
What does he tow with ?  I know that would look great behind upthecreek's Chevy...

He's got a number of military surplus vehicles.  No lack of towing choices for him.

I have something special for creek's Chevy as soon as he is ready to take the plunge  O:-).