Author Topic: M. Kochanski - Keynote speech (8 part series)  (Read 5119 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
M. Kochanski - Keynote speech (8 part series)
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
  I was wandering around the web & came across the first two videos in an 8 part series that Mors. K. is putting up as a substitution for his being unable to make an appearance at a recent convention/gathering in Minnesota.

I thought I would bring the first 2 videos here to share. As of today these are the only two uploaded, so folks will have to check later at the Karamat youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/KaramatWW/videos
for the rest of the series. They are only about 6-7 minutes long.

In the first video, I liked his analogy of comparing learning survival, to learning swimming, and how folks should be concerned that they are actually learning from a qualified instructor if they attend some survival course,just as they wouldattending a swimminginstruction .

In the second, again in his comparison of survival to swimming instruction carried over with one actually practicing the skills to mastery, (or at least confidence of skill level to survive using those skill(s)), rather than just reading books, or looking around the internet & so on.

I am looking forward to watching these clips that follow , as I enjoyed the first two. Others here may not share the same opinions that are being passed in these videos, but I found Mr Kochanskis words in these videos to be along the same lines as how I think about such things. To each their own ,once again, eh?
:)

Anyway, I hope that folks who watch these videos get some enjoyment out of them. And if anyone happens to see that another in the series is uploaded, please post it here, as a service to any who would like to see them. Sharing is good, right?
;)

Enjoy!
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
Re: M. Kochanski - Keynote speech (8 part series)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
Mnsportsman,
Thanks for posting this, Mors is a National Treasure.
I enjoy listening to him speak.
Deus Vult

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »
I really like Mors too. I haven't had time to watch the vids yet but I will. I noticed on the youtube that the comments turned into some sort of flame war about healthcare. Not sure what that was about. If I was stuck in a bad spot I'd sure like him to be by my side.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Flame war about health care. Wow, that's funny. Good thing
about cross border insurance problems is that Mr. Kochanski and Karamat posted these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:52 AM »

For any that are interested...

Part 3:

Part 4:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »
Yeah,  He's on it.  Don't speak until ya bin there.  I'll follow  his tut.  Smart.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »
I always enjoy hearing Mors' wisdom. Karamat Wilderness Ways is just about an hour west from me. I'd love to go to a survival session, but just can't afford it the last few years. Maybe if I come into some extra money !

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
  I have enjoyed seeing these videos also, but they may seem a bit "dry" to some folks. But, I think there are some good points made in each one.

I have not yet watched it, and am about to do so, but here is # 5 in the series & by seeing the title of the video, it may be very interesting to view.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
Part 6 in the video series has been uploaded. Here is the link/video:

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
I've been following this series and am finding it quite informative and interesting.
It's a bit of a departure from much of what we normally see about survival and bushcraft.
It's much more academic or scholarly in that it's the theoretical side.
I'm going to have to re-watch these a few times, take notes and think about the info presented in each in order
to come to an fuller understanding of how to apply any relevant content to my own learning and teaching process.
Good stuff all around I think.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
I've been following this series and am finding it quite informative and interesting.
It's a bit of a departure from much of what we normally see about survival and bushcraft.
It's much more academic or scholarly in that it's the theoretical side.

Good stuff all around I think.

I agree. Like said,a bit "dry", for some who expect to see something being demonstrated like a skill, method, or equipment.  But,there is some "pearls of wisdom" in what he talks about in this series, & that is why I am watching them.

Offline Boreas

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
He's a wise and down-to-earth kind of person.  I'm glad Mors is putting effort in to spread his knowledge around, especially recently with the Karamat youtube channel and his ebook series. I've owned a copy of "Northern Bushcraft" for many years and just got the second edition ("Bushcraft") recently.

I always enjoy hearing Mors' wisdom. Karamat Wilderness Ways is just about an hour west from me. I'd love to go to a survival session, but just can't afford it the last few years. Maybe if I come into some extra money !
I've had the same dilemma, Hiwa.  The school is relatively convinient to me but I can't justify the cost.  It'd be nice to go for a lesson while Mors is still actively teaching.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »
Thanks for posting this up, Mn! Good stuff.

I really likes what he says about credibility and whatnot. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the expert who's spent 3 nights in a row in -40 weather 'surviving'. And so whenever I talk about "survival" it's all based on what I know I can do (and have done) and what I HOPE I can do if my life was on the line. Big difference. Mors points that out well in these videos.

Also, I like what he says about 2 hours or REM sleep per night. I have 'survived' one night in a variety of conditions - whether urban, rural or wilderness - but that's not really long term surviving, is it? That's more like pulling an all-nighter...

Mors is tops, in my book.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
Part 7 - Knowledge Unique To Kochanski :

Another interesting video.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
Part 8 - The last of the series:

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »
I watched the last posted video last night.
I wasn't sure it was the last in the 8 part series as Karamat had it labled differently.
It will be interesting to obtain a copy of the sylibus.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
  I looked for it(syllabus) last nite on both the Karamat website & thru search engine. Nothing available as of about 4 AM CST this morning, anyway.

I would like to see it also.
;)