Author Topic: A tale of two outings...  (Read 6482 times)

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
A tale of two outings...
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »
Or, how I'm too lazy to make two different threads.

Let's go back in time. To a day when life was simpler, and few people were out and about... In other words, Dec.25th.
That was the day I had planned to have the last overnighter of the year.
Unfortunatley for me, life threw a few wrenches in the machinery and I wasn't out the door untill 1 hour before sundown.
Off I went to find a spot to camp...
A tiny dusting of snow on the ground.

I finally found a place that was suitable, set up camp, gathered some firewood and lit a fire.

Made myself some tea and food:

Then I started making stupid mistakes. I found out I'd forgotten my sleeping pad and the plastic that I was supposed to use in front of my "supershelter". (the thing on the ground was supposed to go beneath my sleeping pad). I didn't gather enough spruce boughs to insulate the ground beneath me. Aaaaand I didn't gather nearly enough firewood for the night.
On top of all this, temps fell to about -10C.
I sat by the fire for a couple of hours before I'd had enough, packed up and went home.

So ended my bushy year.

Now, fast forward to the year 2015 (yesterday).
I was determined to try again (this time going out earlier to set up). My oldest son wanted to join me this time so, after packing our kit, we set out.
Went to the same place as the last time, set up camp (this time remembering the plastic and sleeping mats), gathered enough firewood and lighting our fire.

Then we had some food.

This knife has never looked so good!!! ;)

Then we went to bed.

My view today when I woke up:

I was at the back of the shelter, my son had the front:

Inside looking out:

Outside looking in:

And some more pics of the camp:

Gonna have to do this again soon.
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: A tale of two outings...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
Glad the second one worked out.  I find that the older I get, the more important a written list is........just sayin'. ;)

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
If you can remember where you put it... :D
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:33:57 PM »
Cool! Cold. -10C is kinda cold not have decent sleeping gear. I'm glad better sense clouded your poor judgment and you went home! :) Looks like it turned out well, though!

Great two-for-one thread! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the compliment. :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »
I got started using lists when I was still in Boy Scouts.........Be Prepared, ya' know! ;).     I continue to do the list thing for all of the different types of trips I take, ie: canoeing, pickup camper, rendezvous, Boy Scout weekends, etc.   I save the lists and modify them as the need arises, but I very seldom leave a necessity behind anymore.  Most of my lists have shrunk over the years.....if I never use an item, I toss it off the list rather than continue to carry it. :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »
I make lists all the time, I just have problems following them.

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Looks like a successful second outing. Lists?!! We don't need no steenking lists! Not if the wife goes along. She wants coolers, 50 lbs of food, and the kitchen sink....(she's gonna kill me when she reads this...but true).

Even car-camping in the van, she piles stuff up to the ceiling in it for a 1 night 'adventure'. I would love to have her just carry the essentials, but noooo......still a day in the woods is better than a day at work.

Well, I got that off my chest and feel better....back to the regularly scheduled thread....rant over til the wife conks me in the head with the folding fry pan ;)
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »
Glad to see you got out and especially had a second outing with your son- that's cool!!  I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the super shelter as far as warmth inside, and if you feel it makes the most out of the fire.  Nice to see you made a reflector as well!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
  Thanks for sharing your outings, Jontok!
:thumbsup:

Even though the first one didn't work out as planned... Your being able to get a chance to get out with your son on the second trip is great & I am sure made it all the better!
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »

You know that's some Canadian humour, right? Kind of  a pun?

Our family has a saying, and I don't know where it comes from, but it's a variation on "Don't let good judgement and sound thinking stop you."

We're VERY sarcastic...

Just so you know I was funnin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Looks like a successful second outing. Lists?!! We don't need no steenking lists! Not if the wife goes along. She wants coolers, 50 lbs of food, and the kitchen sink....(she's gonna kill me when she reads this...but true).

Even car-camping in the van, she piles stuff up to the ceiling in it for a 1 night 'adventure'. I would love to have her just carry the essentials, but noooo......still a day in the woods is better than a day at work.

Well, I got that off my chest and feel better....back to the regularly scheduled thread....rant over til the wife conks me in the head with the folding fry pan ;)
Well, it's been nice knowing ya! ;) :D

Glad to see you got out and especially had a second outing with your son- that's cool!! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the super shelter as far as warmth inside, and if you feel it makes the most out of the fire.  Nice to see you made a reflector as well!
I have a couple of thoughts. First off I used a casualty blanket inside, but I think it might have been better with a spaceplanket (more reflection). Secondly the plastic I used on the front was waaaaaay too thin and not transparent enough. Should have gotten something thicker and clearer. That being said, we really felt the heat of the fire in there! It was warmer inside the shelter than in the first one I made.
The reflector helped too, though I feel I didn't put enough effort into building it.

Thanks for sharing your outings, Jontok!
:thumbsup:

Even though the first one didn't work out as planned... Your being able to get a chance to get out with your son on the second trip is great & I am sure made it all the better!
Thanks buddy. :)

You know that's some Canadian humour, right? Kind of  a pun?

Our family has a saying, and I don't know where it comes from, but it's a variation on "Don't let good judgement and sound thinking stop you."

We're VERY sarcastic...

Just so you know I was funnin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course I didn't.... I have no sense of humor that I'm aware of.... ;) :)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 12:42:21 PM »
LOL! Jon, schools KK in sarcasm and wit! :)

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
You have much to learn, Grasshopper...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
You have much to learn, Grasshopper...

Nice to see that Gerber BG knife is serving you well,  word of mouth has not been good to that knife,  I have put one through hell and still keep it in my emergency kit in my truck,  it's proved to be a lot more knife than some selling for three time as much in my experience.

Thanks for bringing us along.    :cheers:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:05:56 AM »
I agree, Moe. If it wasn't for the problems with the first version (and all the grylls basing), This knife would be way more popular.
Only problem for me now is that now I want both of the straight edged versions too... ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »
I agree, Moe. If it wasn't for the problems with the first version (and all the grylls basing), This knife would be way more popular.
Only problem for me now is that now I want both of the straight edged versions too... ;)

The Gen.-1 was flawed for sure,  and like most people at the time I thought I'd never own one, but I happened on a thread written by a UK bushcrafter with the user name Simmon on Bushcraft UK, he obtained a Gen-2 BGUSK and put it through some harsh testing and was very impressed with the knife,  I've always been a fan of Gerber knives from their USA production days, and decided to find out for myself, I bought a Gen-2 and more or less copied Simmon's tests and got about the same results.
  About the only damage the knife sustained was to the coating Gerber put on the blade,  when I first got it I expected that the serrated edge would be the first thing to fail (I don't like serrated edges on knives used to process wood or food),  I had made up my mind to grind off the serrated edge after it failed and reprofile it if it survived the testing,  I was surprised that it didn't fail but stayed fairly sharp and was easily touched up with a stone on the flat side of the blade.
  In my opinion it's not the ideal bushcraft knife,  but as a survival type knife, it and the sheath make up a combination that's hard to beat at three times the price,  like most I think marketing it with the orange colors and BG signature takes away for it's popularity,  but it was the best selling knife in the world for two years after coming out with the Gen-2.
  The only mod I did to mine was replace the belt loop, the cheap nylon belt loop degraded the whole system,  I cut it off and sewed on a good quality leather belt loop in it's place.
  As for the serrations, I thought of buying another with the plain blade when they came out,  but honestly the serrations didn't hamper the useability of the knife all that much, and in a couple of ways (such as making curls and cutting cordage) it worked better than the straight edge,  I still don't own another knife with serrations, still don't care for them,  but on the BGUSK they work very well.
  Though it's not my regular user,  it has it's place in my trucks emergency bag as a knife I know I can count on,  I have more popular and more expensive knives that I could carry there,  but doubt they'd be much better.    :thumbsup: 

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
Couldn't agree with you moe, Moe (see what I did there? ;D)
I modified the belt loop too, but I just made a braided (dangler) belt loop from some paracord. Then I added some paracord to fasten it to my leg, so now it's perfectly placed for my hand and out of he way of the waistband on my backpacks. :)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
Couldn't agree with you moe, Moe (see what I did there? ;D)
I modified the belt loop too, but I just made a braided (dangler) belt loop from some paracord. Then I added some paracord to fasten it to my leg, so now it's perfectly placed for my hand and out of he way of the waistband on my backpacks. :)

:thumbsup:     :cheers:

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »
Jon: Looks like a good time with your son. I think it's fantastic that he wants to get out and rough it with his "old man." ;)

I'm glad you had the better sense to pack things in, rather than try to tough it out that first night. It would've been pretty tough without your missing gear. :fire2:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."