Author Topic: Solo Overnighter - Jan 17-18 [Pic Heavy]  (Read 9433 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Solo Overnighter - Jan 17-18 [Pic Heavy]
« on: January 18, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
We had some decent weather for a change this weekend, so I took the opportunity to get out for an overnighter. Temps hit the fifties during the day and the coldest it got overnight was in the upper 20's. The missus wasn't able to go and none of my friends could go, so I went anyway. Who knows the next time the weather'll be like this?

I know people will ask: Nope, didn't take Finn this time. I was a little worried about keeping him warm overnight since I was gonna be in the hammock.

This is a fairly popular spot here in MO. I saw a decent amount of people the first mile or so of the hike in.

This park has a higher than usual amount of shortleaf pine forest. The shortleaf is our only native species here, though you'll see great eastern, etc.

I've said this before, but I really like hiking in winter. I just like the look of things. The lack of swarms of insects helps too.

Got to the spot I'd planned on and got to setting up camp. Tyvek's still holding up, though I probably need to reinforce the grommet holes soon.

Made a late lunch/early dinner: instant rice w/fried rice mix (from the Asian grocer) and spam. Not great but it hit the spot.

Everything on the ground was wet so I gathered enough dead-standing to get me through the evening. Once that was done I got some exploring in before it got dark.

TV.

Solo trips are nice, but I do miss the conversation. I figured I'd make a spoon out of some pine to pass the time. I'd never done the coal method before. It was fun!

Here's where I left it at the end of the night. (Took a pic after I got home.)

I got up about 5 am, got the fire going again, and started breakfast. While I was having my coffee I heard some movement in the woods. Pointed my flashlight over and there were several pairs of eyes looking at me about 100 ft away. One let out a short howl. Coyotes. They waited a few minutes, I guess checking me out, and finally wandered off.

The moon finally came out, the faintest sliver of a moon you could imagine. You can kind of see it in the trees right of center. Blurry shot, sorry.

Struck camp. Made sure the embers were out and got up to a high spot for some nice views of the areas below.

On the way back to the car I did a little exploring. Found this overhang. I don't know what you'd call it... does this count as a cave?

I bet there'd be some evidence of Native American usage at some point. I'm tempted to come back and camp here sometime.

Fun place to amble about. I love the Ozarks. I'll leave it here, folks. Hope you're having a good weekend. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:02:01 PM by diogenes »
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: Solo Overnighter - Jan 17-18
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »
Awesome report. Looks like a beautiful area. Can't imagine camping in that kind of weather.

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for the pics..

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
It looks like it was a fruitful junket, diogenes.....I'm happy to hear you jumped at the chance.  We could get several feet of snow yet and times like that would be a month or two in the offing.  CARPE DIEM! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Solo Overnighter - Jan 17-18 [Pic Heavy]
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »
Solo raises the bar.  Great report.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 06:39:04 PM »
Nice trip and that country is wonderful.

That rock overhang would be interesting to camp at but all the good stuff is probably three to six feet down.  There should be some evidence of smoke on the rock ceiling if it was used very much.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
Glad you got out. I always enjoy your reports and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
Awesome looking trip there buddy what was your sleeping gear for this trip with 20? temps? What size is the tarp you are using?

Great looking pics.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
   Thanks for sharing your overnight!
:thumbsup:

Glad to see you were able to get out & have a good time! Great pics & good looking country around ya there... 
:)

Looking forward to seeing your next trip!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »
Looks like a great time.  Thanks for taking us along.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Nice D! Hey, I'm glad you didn't have Finn with those coy dogs coming in that close. Up here anyway, their lure pet dogs away to munch on. Not cool! I hates wuffes and coy-dogs. >:(

The thing about not having someone to talk to bothers me a lot. It's a great thing to share those moments, and I fond myself wishing people where with me around a fire or just out for a boil up, even.

And +1 on the rice. Not sure I'd do Asian rice and spam either... just doesn't seem to 'jive'... :)

Great pics, thanks a bunch for sharing!

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
I hates wuffes. >:(

HEY, WAIT A MINUTE THERE, BUDDY! >:(

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »
Awesome outing diogenes, I'm glad you were able to get out.   That overhang looks like a cool spot to try out sometime, and the other pics are really cool too...great scenery out there!!  How are you liking the hammocks?  We have a backpack trip planned for April (weather and work permitting) and are gonna use ours again...still working on the suspension systems I have so far.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
Thanks for looking, guys. Glad you enjoyed the report.  :)

It looks like it was a fruitful junket, diogenes.....I'm happy to hear you jumped at the chance.  We could get several feet of snow yet and times like that would be a month or two in the offing.  CARPE DIEM! :cheers:
Agreed! Cheers, wolfy! :cheers:

Solo raises the bar.  Great report.

Thanks, Max. Going solo's a great way to test your confidence/comfort level in the woods and, while I like having company more, I liked the simplicity of not having to worry about anyone else. It gives you a chance to do some proper thinking too. My dad always said being out in the woods was better than church.

Nice trip and that country is wonderful.

That rock overhang would be interesting to camp at but all the good stuff is probably three to six feet down.  There should be some evidence of smoke on the rock ceiling if it was used very much.

Next time I'm there I'll have a closer look at the ceiling there. I looked into some of the local history. It seems the area was all but unoccupied by native peoples, besides the occasional hunting party, by the 1500's when the Mississippian culture fell apart. Any artifacts would definitely be pretty far down.

Awesome looking trip there buddy what was your sleeping gear for this trip with 20? temps? What size is the tarp you are using?

Great looking pics.

For sleeping gear all I had was my bag and one of those thermarest silver pads, a 3/4 length one. The sleeping bag is a Sierra Designs Zissou down bag. The "comfort rating" is 19 degrees apparently. I slept most of the night with just sock, boxers and t-shirt on. I put some thermal pants on as the temps dropped toward morning. I was pretty warm though.

Nice D! Hey, I'm glad you didn't have Finn with those coy dogs coming in that close. Up here anyway, their lure pet dogs away to munch on. Not cool! I hates wuffes and coy-dogs. >:(

The thing about not having someone to talk to bothers me a lot. It's a great thing to share those moments, and I fond myself wishing people where with me around a fire or just out for a boil up, even.

And +1 on the rice. Not sure I'd do Asian rice and spam either... just doesn't seem to 'jive'... :)

Great pics, thanks a bunch for sharing!

I thought the same thing about the coyotes and Finn. They do the same here. Or mate with 'em and make little half-breeds. There've been a few recent reports of a few of them attacking a person here or there.

Spam and rice is not so unusual, especially in countries with a US military presence. The Philippines or Okinawa for instance. Try dicing up some spam and making a fried rice with it. You'd be surprised- it's pretty good! The instant (un-fried) rice version just wasn't very good.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »
Awesome outing diogenes, I'm glad you were able to get out.   That overhang looks like a cool spot to try out sometime, and the other pics are really cool too...great scenery out there!!  How are you liking the hammocks?  We have a backpack trip planned for April (weather and work permitting) and are gonna use ours again...still working on the suspension systems I have so far.

I like 'em. Maybe a little bit more than the Missus. I usually sleep pretty comfortably in mine. Depending on what temps you'll be dealing with a sleeping pad is essential for staying warm. As far as the suspension system goes, the whoopie slings I received from greyhound352 are pretty awesome. The make adjustment a lot easier. Totally worth making or buying, I'd say.

Speaking of greyhound, I forgot to answer one of his questions: My tarp is ~9'x9' I think.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 04:18:53 AM »
Nice overnighter...  :cheers:

In many respects the area your in resembles the area around me, lots of different things to see and explore as the topography and seasons change.

The Coyotes seem to be everywhere, lets hope they never mate with those Feral Hogs...lol   :crazy:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »
Great trip and beautiful area! That overhang towards the end is neat and I think the same thing.  That would be a great place to look for old remnants from Native Americans.  very cool
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Nice overnighter...  :cheers:

In many respects the area your in resembles the area around me, lots of different things to see and explore as the topography and seasons change.

Thanks, zammer. That's two trips in a row where you've said something to that effect, lol. Maybe it's like a little patch of Canada right here in MO. Most of these trips are in the St. Francois mountains, part of the northern end of the Ozarks. They don't compare in size or grandeur when you put them next to the Smokies or the Rockies, but I love 'em. They're home to me.

Great trip and beautiful area! That overhang towards the end is neat and I think the same thing.  That would be a great place to look for old remnants from Native Americans.  very cool

Thanks, OE. Next time I'm there I'll have a closer look. I'll post pics if I find anything.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
Thanks, zammer. That's two trips in a row where you've said something to that effect, lol.

LMAO... I'm turning into my Dad  8)

"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »
You have some beautiful country to roam. Appreciate the ride along.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 07:45:49 AM »
  Nice trip and as usual great pic's,  that overhang was and still is refered to as a Rock House,  they have been used through the ages as shelters by wonderers from the stone age down to Native Americans and by eastern Long Hunters and trappers,  they are still favored today by period historical trekkers and reenacters, nice find.    :thumbsup:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »

Timber Wuffes, not Farmer Wuffes. BIG difference. For 'sample, you probably take the time to kill your all your animals before eating them...
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »

I knew that was coming. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
You guys know me too well. :doh: :-[

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:21 AM »
Great pictures. That looks like a beautiful area to camp and explore. I like the fire formed spoon!

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
You have some beautiful country to roam. Appreciate the ride along.

Creek

Thank ya, Creek. :)

Nice trip and as usual great pic's,  that overhang was and still is refered to as a Rock House,  they have been used through the ages as shelters by wonderers from the stone age down to Native Americans and by eastern Long Hunters and trappers,  they are still favored today by period historical trekkers and reenacters, nice find.    :thumbsup:

"Rock House," huh? Good to know. Thanks, Moe.

I do want to go back and camp there some time. Beats having to lug a tent around.

Great pictures. That looks like a beautiful area to camp and explore. I like the fire formed spoon!

Thanks, PW. I've put a little more work into since I got home. If it turns out decent, I'll post some pics.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
Over the weekend I finished the spoon up. I think it turned out okay. Better than my first two attempts at spoons for sure.

I did a coffee stain and then a mineral oil/wax finish. It still smells like coffee. I wonder if that ever goes away. :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
VERY NICE! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:    Nice, pleasing shape and proportions, diogenes.......what kind of wood? ???

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
Shortleaf pine. I just grabbed whatever was sitting next to me at the fire, split it and started burning the bowl in. It was dead standing and, as I found getting into it further, fairly worm-eaten. That kind of determined the size and shape. I'm happy with it, though. It's not fancy by any stretch, but it feels functional. I might let it air a little more before I use it, cuz the coffee smell is pretty strong.

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
Great pics ...Looks cold!!