Author Topic: -30C and 25 year old scotch  (Read 4887 times)

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
-30C and 25 year old scotch
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
No pics yet but had to tell everyone about my trip last weekend. 6 guys went into crown land near Algonquin Park. 6KM - 3 flat, 3 uphill, snowshoe/ski into camp. A 12'x14' Prospector tent awaited us. Both nights got down to -30C before windchill and the wood stove barely made a dent into that. We ate chili day and night, sang along to 3 ukes being strummed and enjoyed(thanks to one great buddy) a scotch tasting including 12, 15, 18, 21 and 25 year old flasks of Glenlivet.

None of us had ever endured the type of rigours we faced on this trip and we are all grateful to have experienced it without any real issues. The hike out might have been the most beautiful I've ever experienced. Thank god for snowmobilers for without their tracks to provide decent walking terrain, we surely wouldn't have made it in or out without incident. 3 foot snow was the order of the day anywhere off the track.

Plans for next year's trip were already in the works before we got back to the cars. Next up is our annual "ice-out" trip which should occur in April unlike last year when it came in JUNE!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:18:40 AM by wannabe »

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Re: -30C and 25 year old scotch
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
Sounds like a fun time, I used to do some winter camping in Algonquin at Mews lake I believe, really gives you a whole new perspective of how important the fire really is...lol

Got any pics to share with us?
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
You can never go wrong with good scotch. I am a Maccallan man myself but only on special occasions as the 18 year gets pricey.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
I'da looked at the weather forecast and said, "Y'all have fun!"

I'da been a popsicle.  I can't deal with that kind of cold.  Glad y'all had fun with no incidents.  Hoping for pics, too.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »
Nice! I've only canoed Algonquin and only in the summer. Good on ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
My family has a lodge on cache lake, it gets nippy there for sure..

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
Sounds like a good time. I likes me some good scotch. :cheers:

Post some pics if you got 'em. :)
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »
That sounds like a trip you will remember for a lifetime! I would like to try all those different "ages" of scotch side by side like that some day to see how they compare. The coldest I've been in was -20 and it was so cold I would cough involuntarily when I'd walk outside and take a first breath. I can't imagine how -30 must feel. (Unless you mean -30 Celsius, in which case my -20 is pretty close.)

Sounds like a great outing! :thumbsup:

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:44:46 AM »
Sounds good... ;)

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
Pics added Re: -30C and 25 year old scotch
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
Got the pics, here are a bunch. Sorry, not much from inside the tent as it was very dark. Any pictures at all were a minor miracle as everything with a battery in it failed to work most of the time.

heading out

trail

taking a breather

almost there/almost dead

made it

camp

rigged up a tarp vestibule to block out the howling winds which froze us the first night

view from the tent door across Coffee Lake

stove

not boogers I swear

chili day and night

cheers

back out alive group shot                               ps. where's Waldo?

a weary but very enthusiastic bunch having some great fish and chips at a local spot afterward

I can't believe there weren't any shots of the "washroom", I guess those images are for my memory banks only. I've still got frostbite on my tuckus. Thanks for looking

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
As hale & hearty a crew of Northwoodsmen as I've ever seen! :chopwood: :cheers: :hail:   Looks like a great bunch of guys that know how to LIVE in their winter environs.  I'm glad the camera had enough juice for the rest us to go along for the ride.....THANKS for the great post! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
When I first saw the title of this I thought it would be about camping in cold weather with a young Scottish lassie.

Looks like a wonderful trip and what more could one ask for than firewood, snow, good Scotch, and fine friends.  Looks like, from the gear you were pulling that it wasn't your first rodeo.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
Forgot to add.....I loved the wall tent setup!  IMHO, nothing beats a spacious wall tent with a GOOD woodstove or a tipi/liner/ozan and well managed open central firepit for luxury living in cold winter weather! :tent:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
This was our first such trip. We've done electrified yurts and 0C in spring but nothing like this.

The tent was already set up for us by the outfitter and we opted to pay for water and a few bags of wood to be there upon arrival - both were worth their weight in gold. We ended up cutting down and leaving behind more wood than was there originally. After that first freezing night we kind of realized that we were into a whole nutha' world and went firewood and water gathering crazy.

The pulks were also rentals with 1 exception of a loaner from a very experience winter camper friend. The owner of Algonquin Basecamp went up and above anything we could have expected. He gave us an emergency beacon for free, charged us 1 less night and was even all packed and ready to come out to us the first night(a 4 hour return trip for him) just to see that we were settled and OK. He told us that people have shown up for the same trip without hats and wearing jeans! He was happy to see we weren't complete morons and was satisfied with an all's well beep from the beacon once we made camp.

Next year we'll know how little gear we can get away with. This time it was the kitchen sink and then some. It truly was a great experience.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 02:51:03 PM »
Awesome photos, wannabe. Looks like you were in good company and that, you all had a blast. I look forward to pics from next year's trip. :thumbsup:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »
Scenes like this just make me want to run thru the snow...lol

Man that looked like a great time and experience, it's amazing how fire takes on a whole new meaning of importance out in those conditions, the altoids tin just doesn't cut it  8)

Thanks for sharing the pics and good to hear you are planning to repeat the trip next year.... :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
  Every ones trips, adventures & outings are great to see! The short walk in the woods, & the long trip... All of them are excellent to see when folks share them.
 :thumbsup:

The pics & narratives may be short, but each little bit we see & read about tells a part of the story.
 :)

I really enjoy these trips, even though I wasn't there... Simply for that fact that they make me, WISH I WAS THERE!! That makes it great!
 :D

Thanks for sharing!!! Makes me wish I had fellers & gals to go out with like we used to do, before they thought that motels/hotels & R.V.'s make the trip better year round... We used to have times like this, but now they are fading...
 :shrug:

Regardless...

Scotch is good... Sharing it with friends out in the sticks around a good working wood stove, or warming & hearty campfire is better... IMO.
 :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the share, wannabe!! You may not realize how it can bring back memories of older times, & at the same time...make folks wish for new adventures to come. But it is really great to see the good times had by ya'll!
 ;D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »
Great pics! It is nice to see the images that go along with the story. It looks like a fun time. :thumbsup:

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »
Love those pics....

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
Thank you for the pics. It looks like a good time.
Nice matters