Author Topic: Cammenga Phosphorescent Military Compass  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Cammenga Phosphorescent Military Compass
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »
I bought a Brunton Military Compass on eBay for $6.00 and was very disappointed.  The rotating disk with the arrow was very sluggish and the lens on the compass was so poor you could not read the dial.  I know, what do you expect for $6?  Well, I bought a genuine Commenga Lensatic compass (non-Tritium) and the difference is amazing.  This is actual Government issue, just not made under contract to the Government. It is robust, well made, well finished and the compass card rotates freely and settles quickly.  The phosphorescent paint lights up like Times Square with a brief exposure to a flash light.  Best of all, you can actually read the dial through the lens while shooting your azimuth.  If you are in the market for a great compass for actual navigation, this is the answer to a maidens prayer. MSRP is about $65 but they can be easily found for about $40.  Highly recommended.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Cammenga Phosphorescent Military Compass
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
How is the dial graduated, with degrees or mils or both?

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
I have two...a Cammenga and a Union Instrument Corp.  They both have degrees and mils.

I never held them side by side till I checked for you just now, and when I did, I noticed that although they are both military issue, they are not 100% identical.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline moxemdeliph

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
I bought a Brunton Military Compass on eBay for $6.00 and was very disappointed.  The rotating disk with the arrow was very sluggish and the lens on the compass was so poor you could not read the dial.  I know, what do you expect for $6?  Well, I bought a genuine Commenga Lensatic compass (non-Tritium) and the difference is amazing.  This is actual Government issue, just not made under contract to the Government. It is robust, well made, well finished and the compass card rotates freely and settles quickly.  The phosphorescent paint lights up like Times Square with a brief exposure to a flash light.  Best of all, you can actually read the dial through the lens while shooting your azimuth.  If you are in the market for a great compass for actual navigation, this is the answer to a maidens prayer. MSRP is about $65 but they can be easily found for about $40.  Highly recommended.

I'll second that. I got rid of mine some time ago, but the fit and finish is quite nice. Also, the bearing is sapphire (very hard and durable like the rubies used in a watch movement). The other two things I found impressive is that it is not liquid (oil or water) dampened but takes a bearing and stops moving within about two seconds, but I really like the fact that when you fold in the lens the needle quits moving and is drawn to it so it does not move when folded up and on the move. I'm not a compass guy and my skills aren't really even passing, but that compass is high quality...I think I might pick me up one again. Thanks for the review!
May the forest be with you.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »
It is probably induction damped if it settles down that quickly without liquid damping.

Offline moxemdeliph

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
It is probably induction damped if it settles down that quickly without liquid damping.

What did you call me?! :) I had to look that one up. I think you're right. Those Cammengas are a bit heavy, but you could probably bludgeon someone to death and still get within 2 degrees accuracy.
May the forest be with you.