Author Topic: What Pack or Bag you use for Day Hike?  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Graphyfotoz

• Mill File+
What Pack or Bag you use for Day Hike?
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »
I was using a Maxpedition Sitka for the past year.
BUT.....with 15lbs of gear single strap was killing my neck.

Just ordered a Vanquest Trident 20 should fix my problem.
Looks like a great pack....anyone else use Vanquest?

Stuff = Vanquest Trident 20 + Lotsa Max Acc | Fenix Lights | Nitecore lights | G-Shock Rangeman
    My Knives: Busse SwampRat INFIDU G/B G10 | Busse SwampRat Rodent 4

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Re: What Pack or Bag you use for Day Hike?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:52:07 AM »
I bought a Red Rock molle sling pack that's small but has room for hiking/hunting gear which isn't more than water and bi-noc's. With a snack and a few extra rounds. It works perfect for me as I can keep my shooting shoulder free of a strap and get a good stock weld. I thought they looked a little funny to wear but this one aspect has sold me on them. The red rock has held up pretty good but I will be looking for a better quality one as some of the stitching is failing. I'm hard on gear but I expect it to hold up. I will have to check out the Sitka.

Offline zbass

• Mill File
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:05:38 AM »
HPG Tarahumara

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »
Under armor ridge reaper series day pack,nice pack but eish it had a waist strap

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:28:39 AM »
Frost River Summit    :thumbsup:

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »
Winter time I was using a camelbak BFM (I think?) - it's a big 40l fella. Recently bought a slightly smaller and slightly lighter 511 rush 24.

I have an old canvas kitbag and a few assorted shoulder bags, including a Maxpedition Malaga gear slinger which I don't use that much...

So, large pack in winter, smaller one in the other seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »
I have an oooold Lowe rucksack that is always ready.
A Blackhawk something or other for more rugged hikes.
And I've been using a modded gas mask bag from beast for short stuff.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
I have quite a few day bag setups. Most of these setups are limited to the 15 pound load limit that you talked about.

My primary geocaching bag is a maxpedition jumbo versipack with a mini rolpolly pouch attached for an additional bottle of water.

Another setup is the maxpedition 12x5 bottle carrier with a janus pocket extender. I like this setup for short outing when I don't need a lot of gear.

Next would be a Maratac sat-com bag with a Condor wattle bottle carrier attached. Really like how this bag rides.

Lastly is a web gear setup with Condor H suspenders and battle belt with a few accessory pouches and a Spec Ops buttpack.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:13:39 PM by greyhound352 »
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:12:28 AM »
I have two pack that I use.  A Fjallraven rucksack with two outside pockets and one large center compartment.  It works well for up to about 15 pounds.

My other is an older Lowe Mountaineering frame-less bag.  It will carry a little more weight and is a pack I used when I did some rock climbing.  Lately it gets used for hunting and activities like cross country ski trips and snowshoe treks. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
75% of my dayhikes are done with a simple canvass satchel.
Other 1/4 are normally with a Arc'Tyrex 30.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »
Tactical Tailor 3Day Plus, Lifetime guarantee, Made in Tacoma Wash.
I beat it like a rented mule, hardly shows any wear.

Deus Vult

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »
Sweet Bow

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
Mod gas mask bag from beast. If I really want to play and carry a lot of gear to mess with a canvas backpack.

I'm with Swamp cowboy, good to see other traditional bowhunters. like your quiver to
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
For the past couple years an REI 18 liter pack. Basically just a stuff sack with straps. I like it a lot though. It's comfortable and forces me to be smarter about what I pack.

"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »

What Pack or Bag you use for Day Hike?

Depends on what I plan to do.

Just ordered a Vanquest Trident 20 should fix my problem.Looks like a great pack....anyone else use Vanquest?

No.

:)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:33:59 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
  I have two packs that I really like,  the first is better suited to overnight tripping but is also very versatile, I have used it for day hikes and it has worked out very well,  it's an LL Bean waxed canvas Continental Ruck,  the other is a Frost River Sojourn Pack in the standard model, it weighs only a couple of pounds,  it's about 13" wide, 16" high, and 5" deep,  it's a bucket type pack with a soft divider on the inside back and a medium sized zippered pocket on the inside front of the pack,  it also has a slip pocket on either side of the pack,  it has leather flap straps and 2-1/2" web shoulder straps, you can pack it light for day trips but will take enough gear for a weekend camp out.
 Both packs are very comfortable to carry especially if the weight is kept below 25 lbs,  my usual day hike load out is about 12 pounds,  over night loads is dependent on weather but usually runs under 25 pounds including food a water for a couple of days.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
I use one of these two, or tote both. Condor bottle holder with a few add-ons and a molle satchel of some sort. All kinds of crap in it. The condor I use most. Holds water, camera, fire stuff, small FAK, has knife. can attach hatchet, compass. I like it. Both have comfortable shoulder straps and if I take both I wind up with too much stuff.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
  Swedish LK35 Ruck.

I always bring my cookset and cook something, and a big gatorade bottle of water for coffee and cleaning stuff, so the space gets used. Great pack for $15-$20....I have two.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
  Swedish LK35 Ruck.

I always bring my cookset and cook something, and a big gatorade bottle of water for coffee and cleaning stuff, so the space gets used. Great pack for $15-$20....I have two.

i rarely use a daysack during winter months as i am constantly in training, therefore i carry a full ruck even on dayhikes, this keeps me in shape for the longer more difficult summer trips.
the swedish LK35, large alice, and an old kelty are my favorite rucks...on that rare occasion that i use a daypack, it is usually a linen czech rucksack...woods
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:28:48 PM by woodsrunner »
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
I use this one a lot.  Its been on 4 continents with me, including Anarctica...

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »
  Swedish LK35 Ruck.

i rarely use a daysack during winter months as i am constantly in training, therefore i carry a full ruck even on dayhikes, this keeps me in shape for the longer more difficult summer trips.
the swedish LK35, large alice, and an old kelty are my favorite rucks...on that rare occasion that i use a daypack, it is usually a linen czech rucksack...woods

My main pack is a Kelty Trekker. I love external frames. Heavier...but a hell of a lot more comfortable, in my opinion.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »
  Swedish LK35 Ruck.

My main pack is a Kelty Trekker. I love external frames. Heavier...but a hell of a lot more comfortable, in my opinion.
+1 on the external frames Punty and that LK35 is a heluva pack at three times the cost!...woods
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:59:19 PM by woodsrunner »
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!