Author Topic: Hernando Beach, Glade Skiff!  (Read 5691 times)

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
Hernando Beach, Glade Skiff!
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
It's been a while since I've done much outside, but now that I've collected way too much camping gear, I
thought I'd start scouting some camping spots. I've seen some interesting looking places while using
Google Earth but the images I was working with were kind of old, from 1994.
Hernando Beach is an interesting little community just a few minutes North of where I live. And they
have a public boat ramp with plenty of parking.

Here's a satellite view of where I'm talking about:

It's a long channel getting out there:

And my little boat looks kind of lost in it!

Since I'm out there during the week, the whole trip was done without seeing any other boats under
weigh. The next group of pictures were all taken from one place, indicated on the satellite view (First Pics.)

The next pic is of the Island I checked out:

All the water seen in the above pic is only 1 to 2 feet deep. Mostly closer to 1 foot or less, actually. There
is a deeper area about 20 feet from the beach, about 4 feet deep or so. In fact, the majority of the
water was a foot deep or less, except in the channel I left from. Once I got out of the channel and into the
mangroves, a paddle wasn't practical. All push pole.

OK, now the Island:

Signs of Life! The little beach area was covered with raccoon tracks. Might make camping here a little "interesting."

Now a quick look up and down the beach:

And here, wood bleached as white as bone:

And of course, what will probably keep this island off of my list of camp sites:

And their fire pit, complete with more empty cans:

But there IS more to this island, maybe I can find a better spot, next time I come here:

I went towards the out-lying island, which was my original objective. You'll notice on the first image, it's
labeled, "Future Recon Site." It seems the 15mph wind was blowing directly from the island and I was
running out of upper body strength at this  point. I got about half way there and decided to call it a day.

Must have been more tired than I thought, as it never occurred to me to take a picture of that island!
The trip back way pretty easy, mostly down wind. When I got home, both shoulders were warning me
that the next day might not be a good one. . .

Even though I didn't accomplish all I set out to, I did go out and back solo, and got away with it, once

again! It was nice getting out on the water with the Glade Skiff again. And not a bad day, considering it
came at the tail end of January!

Next trip will be another locale, and probably in the Pit Pan, too. And this time, it will be next week, NOT
a couple of months down the road. Got to find a couple of good spots, as I want to get some over-nighters in next.

Almost forgot! Here's some numbers, just in case anyone is interested:

Begin about 09:30
Centipede Bay first pics @ 1.64 Mi.
1st island @ 2.09 miles.
Turn back short of 2nd island @ 2.81 Mi.
End @ 5.02 mi. about 13:45

Hope I didn't bore anyone too badly! If I did, you are probably in good company, because as usual, I've cross-posted this on SouthernPaddler. I'm sure to have bored some of those guys!  :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
There is no such thing as One True Way.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Hernando Beach, Glade Skiff!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
1-2 ft deep is about perfect for the skiff.  Thanks for the pics!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
Looks like a great area to do some exploring. Hopefully you can find a good camping area where people respect the land and surroundings.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
Looks like a great spot, in spite of the litter. The boat looks right at home there! It also looks like there are a few more islands you could explore. I'm sure the closest and most convenient ones will get a lot more visitors than the more remote ones.

As for the raccoons, they are very clever. Just have to keep stuff closed with complex latches. They figured out the latch on an ice chest once time when I was camping.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
Congrats Mike on getting out and thanks for sharing with us. Good to see the skiff out again. lots of good areas up that way to play in the back water. I'm  dieing to get on the water, wish I was on the bank of the Suwanee, hanging in the hammock tonight
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
Nice little trip. Thanks so much for bringing us along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
This one little day trip has given the the confidence to plan quite a few more. I now know that I can relate what I see on Goggle Earth with the landscape before me. Even when the imagery is rather old.

I've found another put in spot that would cut the distance to the island I didn't get to, in half. And that spot also opens up several other locations to check out.

Right now, I can see quite a few day trips in the near future, and some over-night or longer ones soon.

I'm liking this!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:15:37 AM »
I love that little boat. It looks so warm! Glad you had a good trip.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 04:50:42 AM »
Looks like a great day out and a great destination, even with the trash.  That would be a cool trip to take again, catch dinner en route, set up camp and fry up some fillets!!

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
Dano, I'll take that suggestion to heart! Cook set and fishing gear will go along.

What I really want to do is take some pictures that do a better job showing what it it like finding your way thru a "sea of small islands" covered with spartina grass (looks like freshwater saw grass) and/or mangroves. For about half of this trip, I was passing thu areas that had more little islands than water. Deciding which way to go around one is "interesting." Choose wrong, and you've gone into a maze and hit a dead end. Then you have to back track and try another. And on a falling tide, you could easily wind up stranded, waiting for the tide to come back in. . .

I had pretty good luck "reading" the water. Didn't have to do any back-tracking. (Not that left any actual "tracks.") But I did notice that on  the trip back, I managed to find a more direct route. Probably because the tide was moving a little faster, making the water-reading a little easier.

I will get picks that shows this much better, next time!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Just noticed that the image I thought was from 1994 from Google Earth was actually made in Dec of 2013. The date I thought it was is the previous image. You can look at something on Google Earth, and then look "back thru time" at older images of the same place.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
Mike have you  check this area out. Looks like a good place to canoe and fish, explore, and even camp. I use to run out of Homosassa springs in our bay boat out to the gulf and get scallops.
Would love to check this area out by canoe and do some fishing

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.713226,-82.5862122,2691m/data=!3m1!1e3
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
I missed this for some reason. Mike that looks to be a fun trip. How far south from WeekieWatchee is it?  I've got get out with you soon and get some lessons on that push pole.

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
Spyder, hang on just a moment, I've got some pics for you!

SwampHanger,

I was looking to hear from you!  The Hernando Beach boat ramp is less than 5 miles from WeekieWatchee as the crow flies, anyway. Take a look, yourself: Lat  28?29'58.96"N , Lon 82?38'59.91"W

And we absolutely need to get together! I'm sure you can get the push pole thing under control in a very short period of time.

Spyder,

Thanks for reminding me about the Chaz! That is one of my earliest trips on the first boat I build, a 15 1/2 ft. Uncle John's design, a Pirogue. I've found the pics, just remember they are from 2007. I was a smoker and carried a little more weight than I was designed for. Also, my wife is in some of these, and would probably kill me for posting them (again.) I'll leave out my comments on them, but if you've any questions, just ask. (Getting close to late for work!)

And the pot-hole springs, just up stream from the ramp, also known (I think) as the 7 Sisters. And my wife, Nanette, sometimes known as "Dementia," paddling about while I fly fished a bit:

I had just built my first boat and made some interesting mistakes, and I had yet to gain the confidence needed to really find out what the boat could do. As a result, I remember the Chaz as a river with a current enhanced by a tidal flow, and I wasn't sure if I got very far down stream, if I might not get stuck trying to battle an out-going tide while trying to paddle up stream. So I never went down stream very far at all.

Now I know I'd have no real problem at all, going up or down, with or against the tides.
Meaning, I HAVE to go back! And of course see what I can find out about camping in different areas along that river!

Got to RUN!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
Fantastic shots! Another great boat too. Oh how I long for green...

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
I've never built nor owned one, but I have always loved those little pirogues....nice shots, BTW! :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
Thanks Mike, looks like my kind of place. Man that Pirogue looks sweet. Do you still have it? Also where did you get the double paddle?

Zig Ziglar

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 02:43:35 AM »
Lmao Spyder I had to check the Suwannee's level since you brought it up. Your hammock would have to be high up or you'd get a wet but. It's at 65' so most our camps our 4' under right now. That Pirouge would do good on that trip Mike.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
That paddle looks to have a feather brand logo. Oh how I would like to find one of those that fits me.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »
That paddle looks to have a feather brand logo. Oh how I would like to find one of those that fits me.

Creek

Me to Creek, with those drip rings installed like you have Mike sure helps. I wouldn't give up my single paddle, but the double would come in handy on parts of a trip.

This would work for making my own double....
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/misc/saw-frh/index.htm

Lmao Spyder I had to check the Suwannee's level since you brought it up. Your hammock would have to be high up or you'd get a wet but. It's at 65' so most our camps our 4' under right now. That Pirouge would do good on that trip Mike.

I hear ya Jimmy, I just need to get on the water.
I think I'll book a room here..  http://www.chazhotel.com/index.html
for a weekend getaway. That way I can ck out the camping situation and the fishing as well. Then maybe have a get together one weekend.
Zig Ziglar

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
NICE!!

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
Or you could just drive past the hotel and continue on to the boat ramp. There's a camp ground right there, as I recall. I will do my research on the various camping possibilities.

As for the paddle, it was made from a pair of WalMart Featherlight (?) paddles. I just cut the ends off and scarfed to two together with epoxy. Nothing fancy, but it worked out well. Kind of heavy I suppose, but I got a LOT of miles out of it.  That link to Duckworks has me thinking. The CF looks like a great idea.

The pirogue was my first build and was very much over-built. But it was a great test bed for a number of ideas. Unfortunately, it also taught me the the value of good edge-sealing on plywood. It wasn't marine ply, but would probably still be in service if I'd paid more attention to the exposed end grain sealing. And storing it inside would definitely have prolonged it's life.

I'd gotten away from getting outside for too long, and only  when I got interested again did I discover how far along the rot had gotten.  I really need to get up the nerve to deal with the remains. . .

That boat really served me well. Learned a lot from it.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL