Author Topic: CRKT Woods Kangee  (Read 6490 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
CRKT Woods Kangee
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:49:19 AM »
I took the opportunity to test drive the Kangee hawk yesterday. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the way it chops.

Here it is beside my Miller Falls hatchet. 19 inch handle. Overall weight is 2 lbs plus an ounce or 2. I like the looks of it too.

Although it was delivered with a pretty good edge. I had to put it on the belt for just a minute to get it to cut like I wanted.

I still haven't provided myself with a situation where I could really put the point to work.

I did sharpen it some. I'd like to sharpen all of it's machined edges. It has several. I think that is the day it would become a weapon vs being a tool.

I was able to chop me a decent stack of wood for the pit without issue.

I did experience the one issue that I particularly do not like about hawks in general. I had to peck the handle back in tight every once in a while as I worked. Not an issue for some I'm sure, but it drives me nuts. I liked the Kangee overall. Again, being able to put the spike to work would help evaluate it's all around performance. I do think it is very good for it's price point. Not too bad to look at either.

Thanks for looking in.

Creek  :chopwood:

Axes Rock!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: CRKT Woods Kangee
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:25:12 AM »
It is an attractive solution to a problem I don't have.

Bring it with you to camp, I may trade you out of it for sh!ts and giggles, although the hammer poll version is a more useful tool.

So bring that too.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »
 :rofl: ...will do.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
  That is an interesting looking hawk.
 :)

I was looking at it & what you have said & I had a couple of thoughts.

The pointed end would make a good digging end, if you needed to dig a cat hole for crapping in if the ground was hard & /or stoney. It would also be good for digging up roots for cordage or even to harvest root plants like Ramps/leeks, or other tubers you can eat. Although having a more spaded end like a mattock/pulaski might be better. I have had a lot of sticks break in doing those tasks & finally just carry a mini e-tool when I get out with a pack. So it would likely be useful just for that.

As far as the head loosening up... I had that trouble once & just took a lumber crayon (even charcoal would work) & coated the head end of the handle with it, then put the head on & drove it. Pulled the head off & did a bit of shaving and repeat til the head was snug. Much like hanging an axe head & the final shaping for a good "seat". Then I took a little bit of pine resin & melted it, smeared a bit on the head end of the handle as a type of glue, and I haven't had any trouble since with loosening. IF I ever need to remove the head from the handle "on purpose", or if the handle needs replacing, then it is not too hard to remove the head. The lil bit of resin "glue" helps keep the head on during regular use, but doesn't make it all that tough to get the head off later, if needed. I realize you are a top hand at axe hanging & all, and likely already thought of this...but I thought to mention it for those who might not know.

Just a couple of things that popped into my head I thought I could share.

Anyway... Cool looking tool!
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
You are exactly right JB. It would make a great digging tool and will do lots of other things too. I checked the seat on the handle before I started. Looked pretty well rounded. The reason I have a pic of the hatchet is cause I got it out so I could pound the handle of the hawk back in with it. Getting to know the tool better would do me a world of good. I thought about just putting some dirt inside the eye to make it stick better after the 3rd time of tightening it. Karen thinks my methods are harsh sometimes..and she was watching. I like it though and it's shortcomings are likely my own.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:37:49 AM »
It was nice to see this get a workout and hear your thoughts.

I have a similar experience with the head loosening up, but similar to how Mn described, I whittled down the high spots to make better contact with the handle and it doesn't come loose nearly as often. I didn't glue mine on, but I think a little dried rosin might make it stick in place pretty good without being permanent.

I like the convenience of a take-down tool. It seems like a safer way to pack it around when you can have the head in a mask inside your pack.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:39:58 AM »
  One more thing to help with "seating" the head to the handle.

When I want to put the head back on the handle if I have removed it or it came loose for some reason, I just take the hawk & hold it upside down, then bang the head end of the wood handle onto a hard surface & it drives the head onto the handle without any "rocking" that might be caused by whacking the head on each/either side to drive the head tighter. The vertical strike of the end of the handle to the hard surface, kinda keeps the head centered & prevents the head from making loose spots for it to work loose when being used. But, whacking the head end of the handle with something like your hatchet, or another hard item such as a baton, rather than driving the head onto the handle would do just the same. If someone is hitting the head to drive it on the handle, it can compress the wood fibers on one, or both sides with each hit & making those loose spots get bigger.

Just trying to help with some tips that others might not know here. Hope ya don't mind. Some folks might think that to seat the hawk head they would hit the head onto the handle rather than using the head end of the handle to seat the head. Trying to pass on... you know...

I look forward to hearing more as you use this hawk in the future. I am partial to polled hawk heads myself, but I am always willing to see what others use, for future reference.

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
1st, thanks for the review.

It would be more useful for someone who spent a lot of time in the frozen north country, running trap lines, breaking ice for drinking water or fishing
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »

I've seen one of those with the spike cut off just above the eye to form a hammer pole,  the guy that did it said that he ordered it because the poled version had a shorter cutting edge,  he wanted a poled hawk but with a longer cutting edge and that's what he ended up by cutting off the spike.
 The hawk balanced well and felt good in the hand,  I thought it was a pretty neat mod.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »
The cutting edge on the poled version is actually longer than on the spike. I'll try to get a pic up shortly.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »
Good review creek!  you gave it a fair chance.  I'd still take the Miller Falls hatchet though   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Boreas

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
Thanks for posting Creek, I've been looking forward to your review of these tools. Is the bottom of the spike sharpened like a sickle? Could be used for light brush clearing. Spyder1958 makes a good point about using it as an ice pick. If you needed to keep your water hole open is do the trick. The axes they used to for harvesting ice from frozen lakes/rivers sometimes had similar pick ends for moving and shaping blocks.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
Is the bottom of the spike sharpened like a sickle?

Yes it is. Those edges are machined but not sharp ... yet.

Here are the pics of the two edges. The hammer poles is just a bit longer than the spike.

Creek  :chopwood:
Axes Rock!

Offline Justin Pierce

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »
It's like a Pulaski/Pickaroon..... Pularoon or Pickaski or something......... interesting.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
Yup, nice looking hawk.  Do you think the head is a casting?
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »

Creeks head?  It's bone.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »

Creeks head?  It's bone.

I would have guessed government plastic like cousin Eddy  ;D

"if I dent my head then my part just ain't gonna look right"
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »

The product description says it's forged 1055 with hammer finish. There are some folks that think my head is solid granite...opinions are like s...

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »
Can it be flipped and put back on? Wondering if could be used for hewing Lumber for a small cabin, or digging a dugout canoe, With the help of hot coals of course.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
The point could be used for harvesting grass/grain sickle type function...

Or maybe opening a coconut...

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
Can it be flipped and put back on? Wondering if could be used for hewing Lumber for a small cabin, or digging a dugout canoe, With the help of hot coals of course.

It certainly could but the machine edges are not sharp as shipped. I'm sort of mind to try and sharpen all the machine edges, but as I said earlier, that's when it becomes a weapon. It will become a more useful tool, but will become way more dangerous then too. The more I mess with it the better I like it. I'm taking both to our gathering on the 20th. Will be interesting to get some input from my fellow numbskulls  :chopwood:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 07:29:28 PM »

It certainly could but the machine edges are not sharp as shipped. I'm sort of mind to try and sharpen all the machine edges, but as I said earlier, that's when it becomes a weapon. It will become a more useful tool, but will become way more dangerous then too. The more I mess with it the better I like it. I'm taking both to our gathering on the 20th. Will be interesting to get some input from my fellow numbskulls  :chopwood:

Creek

I better bring more quik clot.