Author Topic: "Thanks!", to the B&B members!  (Read 9890 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
"Thanks!", to the B&B members!
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
   I have been traveling around the internet for some time, and I often am looking for/researching for some thing or another. So, I end up not only on regular websites, but occasionally I search forums for info. I was doing a bit of that looking around stuff the last day or so, & hit a couple of forums along the way. After completing the search, I perused through the forums, just to see what other things might be worth "mentally bookmarking" for future searches.

Which leads me to this topic & post.

I want to say "Thanks!", to the B&B members for having one of the most helpful, supportive, polite & cooperative forum behavior, as compared to many other forums. Once in a while there is a snarky, smart-azzed, or, patronizing/condescending post here, but I think it is very rare here & usually may just stem from someone just being a bit impetuous, maybe frustrated with the post(s) they are replying to, or even just plain not understanding the other persons post for what it meant/how it was written & not necessarily meaning to come off in the manner they are received. Or, maybe making an attempt at some humor. I think it just happens once in a while, but not as a norm for most. 

Both recently, & over time, I have found that on many forums, the interaction from some of the members in those forums was like a pack of coyotes trying to fight over a carcass or the like. Longtime members chastising & insulting newer members for asking questions about subjects that may have been discussed before, as an example, rather than just having one member direct the newer member to the older topic, or topics discussing that subject. Rather than answering the question in a helpful manner by posting the link or links, a group just comes in & gives hell to the questioning member. Not pretty for adult behavior. I can see the defense of another member "might" be a reason for "pack mentality" of other members raking someone, but not when a person is just looking for a good answer.

The other thing I noticed was getting on folks who are not as good at typing what they are trying to say or ask. Simply because a person asks in a manner that isn't on a level as the ones who should answer, but some folks just get on the person for their spelling/syntax/etc..

I would ask... Would ya do that to a 5 year old who is asking a question, & you were an adult, or simply someone with a higher education? Heck, the less experienced don't know any better, right? Those who are able, should help the less able along... It is how folks learn, the way I see things...

And that helpful behavior is what I have seen almost all of the time here at B&B... Help & support, regardless of the way the question was written. and that is why I think the B&B members should get "Kudos" & "Thanks!"

So, for the most part, this is one heck of a group of folks from diverse backgrounds & locations around the world & seem to be getting along pretty doggone well. And for the most part, everyone is helpful & supportive... and makes the B&B forum experience a great one.
 :)

Thus... one more time...

Thanks!
 :thumbsup: 

BTW... Geeez... I hope I don't get razzed on how I wrote this post... Might hurt my feelings ya know...
;D
LOL

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Re: "Thanks!", to the B&B members!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
+1 ... Well said, sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Top Dog

• Whetstone
  • the more people i meet the more i love my dog
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
Careful, "thanks" might be TMed :stir: :lol:

On a more serious note, you are 100% right there are not more then a couple other outdoor related forums that I've seen where there are is no bashing, trolling etc. And this one is deffinently one of the best.
always keep your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.
You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:03:01 AM »
Kudos to YOU for that timely post, JB!  :thumbsup:  I have been toying with the idea of posting something almost exactly like this one.......it sure saved me a lot of single pecks with a stylus on the screen of the iPad!   I agree, as a whole, we are a very helpful & well-mannered group......probably has a lot to do with the fact that many of us come here from places that were NOT like this! :pissed:

As Tiny Tim Crachett would toast at the family table, "God bless us all, every one!" O:-) :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:36:03 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »
 8)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Indiana Hillbilly

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »
As I am very new here, I have had the opportunity to look at most of the older post and threads. I will admit I lurked on here for awile before I joined. I belong to another forum that I have lost interest in because I can't "keep up with the jonses". From joining here, I have renewed an interest in the outdoors and learning new skills. Everyone seems so helpful and truly interested in helping someone learn.

For that, I say Thank You to the members for sparking my interest once again.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
Yup.  And here's another perspective.

I have bad moments.  And blurt out stuff that I shouldn't.  Seems like holding grudges for things like that doesn't exist much here.

And I REALLY appreciate that.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
It takes a village to raise an idiot...I'm glad to be in a nice village  :fire1:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:11 PM »
It takes a village to raise an idiot...I'm glad to be in a nice village  :fire1:

Creek
This idiot would like to say thanks also.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
We've beaten this topic to death, could we merge this with all the threads just like this one and in the future just do a freaking search.

:sarcasm:

I mean cool, I like most of the folks here most of the time.

And JB you seem to be mellowing in your old age  8)
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Very well said MnSportman, this is one of the nicest forums on the internet, keep in mind that even in small families someone seems to loose their mind over small things, this is a very large family and very, very few get argumentative over something and it is usually over a misunderstanding most of the time.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »
Forums are little "cultures" of their own. We are very fortunate to have a great bunch of members who know how to interact with one another respectfully. Everything this place is, is because our members made it this way.

I am pleased and proud to be in such good company. :)

Offline hiwa

• Whetstone +
  • Alberta Bushcrafter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
I always like what you have to say MnSportsman , and this is a really great forum with nice people.  I like the fact that there's minimal arguing going on and we can just share our experiences and ideas.

It's cool to sit around the fire with you fellas !  :fire1:

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
Kudos to YOU for that timely post, JB!  :thumbsup:  I have been toying with the idea of posting something almost exactly like this one.......it sure saved me a lot of single pecks with a stylus on the screen of the iPad!   I agree, as a whole, we are a very helpful & well-mannered group......probably has a lot to do with the fact that many of us come here from places that were NOT like this! :pissed:

As Tiny Tim Crachett would toast at the family table, "God bless us all, every one!" O:-) :cheers:

What the farmer said
AAA+ to everyone @ B&B 
 :cheers:
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Forums are little "cultures" of their own. We are very fortunate to have a great bunch of members who know how to interact with one another respectfully. Everything this place is, is because our members made it this way.

I am pleased and proud to be in such good company. :)

Though a few of us have tried your patients from time to time you've weathered it well.    :thumbsup:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »
Patients?  You make it sound like PW is the overseer of a psych ward! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :rofl:

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
So... is this like a virtual group bro hug?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
Wait, There are other forums? AWE, Those poor lost souls...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
  This is the only board that I play nice.  All the others I am on, I am an ornery SOB.

But, this board has a much older and more mature crowd than the others....and it is not politics or games. I like that we can disagree on gear and whatnot and end up with a variety of perspectives rather than a spitting contest.

It is a remarkable thing, especially on forums, to have so little friction on so many topics...it is the nature of the internet that, even when no hostile intentions are meant, it is easy to come across that way, as words read can often sound harsher than intended when written, and everything on internet forums is great tinder.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 02:33:32 PM »
I think all the good lookin ones are on this forum. :P     Well said, MnSport. 

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
I agree with the above, but I'm surprised at how few members actually post.
I figured there would be greater participation due to the more welcoming culture in this forum. Now, that being said, That observation is not really based in fact and is only my impression. It would be interesting to be able to determine what percentage of members post what percentage of threads, replies etc.
I don't mean to drift the thread.

Oh, and Canadians. There are more of us here than on many older, larger forums. Must mean something goood, eh?
😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
Sometimes I get the feeling some folks feel they have nothing to add.  Not true.  I too wish they would pop in with something.  You never know what you have that someone else can use...

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
Hear, hear! Well put, Mn. This is definitely a good place to be. Otherwise I wouldn't have stuck around.

Cheers, everybody! :cheers:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 04:50:45 PM »
Well said. I've visited a few different forums in the past, but never really contributed much. Thankfully for this forum and its members, I feel comfortable posting without a fear of ridicule or snide remarks if I post something that is maybe not within the confines of the overall nature of the forum.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
  I'm sort of stuck here, since I was banned for life from that other forum... :rofl: :devil:
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
  I'm sort of stuck here, since I was banned for life from that other forum... :rofl: :devil:
Wear THAT badge with PRIDE! :cheers:

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
we don't need no badges....  :rofl:  :cheers:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
Yep

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
X0X0XXX0000 :-* :-* :-* :puke: :cheers:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Dude McLean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »

this seems to be one of the few in  1000s of forums..

Dude
I have been where the hand of man has never set foot.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »
I wish I could trademark all this friendliness.

I'd let other people use it, for a nominal fee.   >:D
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Top Dog

• Whetstone
  • the more people i meet the more i love my dog
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »
I wish I could trademark all this friendliness.

I'd let other people use it, for a nominal fee.   >:D

:lol: :rofl:    made my day
always keep your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.
You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Mn, great post. Thanks for doing this. This is a great online community and a source of friendship and mutual learning. We have learned how to respect others and I feel, more importantly, that we also know how to include people of all skill levels.

Recently I hear a famous youtuber rant about people on forums who talk a lot but don't actually practice bushcraft. Well, I think here we have both kinds of people - those who are currently practicing and those who aren't. And both are welcome here. That says a lot. IMHO. We have people who want to learn, we have guys who are mostly in it for the blades :drool:, we have hard-core practitioners of the 'craft, and so on. Awesome! :)

Yeah, we've had our moments as a forum, and I reckon we still will - no one agrees 100% of the time - but the good news here is that we have all grown, and learned that... I'M USUALLY RIGHT! Yeah, so, it's worked out nicely for me. ;D

Cheers, guys! :cheers:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
KK, you know the old saying, "If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong?"  I can't think of a better place to apply it than here & now! :cheers: :rofl: :lol:

Offline Dude McLean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »

I thought I was wrong once turned out I was right :P I wuz wrong..

Dude
I have been where the hand of man has never set foot.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »
  My only real complaint about this community so far, is that I was never really an axe guy....as long as it chopped or split, I was happy.

Now, my wishlist is full of axes that I can't really afford but I really want. I used to be happy with anything from Home Depot.

I blame all of you.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »

KK, you know the old saying, "If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong?"  I can't think of a better place to apply it than here & now! :cheers: :rofl: :lol:
Wuffy, if you ain't half as wrong as I think you might have been back when I was thinkin' you might have been half right, I'd have half a mind to agree with about half of what you just said.

:D

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

Wuffy, if you ain't half as wrong as I think you might have been back when I was thinkin' you might have been half right, I'd have half a mind to agree with about half of what you just said.

:D

I think what you two are saying is making my head spin a bit by trying to keep up with ya. I'm not gonna try to figure them out any more. How bout I just agree with the both of ya for now...... OK? .... I think... :shrug:  LOL
 ;D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
Does the thread title at the top of those last two posts look as weird to everyone else as it does to me? :shrug:

PS......The Kanuk started it! >:D. He may be in need of an exorcist! :rofl:

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:16 PM »
Sounds kinda dirty to me.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »
  Yes... I see that quite a bit.. Don't know how/why it happens.
 :shrug:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
Does the thread title at the top of those last two posts look as weird to everyone else as it does to me? :shrug:

That's just the "i" in iPhone that causes it. :taunt:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

That's just the "i" in iPhone that causes it. :taunt:
I'm glad it wasn't my fault then, or that of my ancient, but very reliable LG flip-phone! :taunt:

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 05:53:44 PM »

I think Beast just got his trademark approved for "Thanks". 

OOPS!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 05:29:06 AM »
I kinda like being a half-wrong, culture patient LOL  It's like a new self identity thing.............. ...........  :tent: