Author Topic: Pot and Machete History  (Read 4390 times)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Pot and Machete History
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
"What do we REALLY NEED to survive a few days in FL?"

That was the start.  LetsRock.

First one was a prelim we learned a lot from and allowed ourselves some extra stuff.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=3596.0

Second one was the real thing and I was blown away at the interest and participation #.  MattChaos even flew down from Chicago.  Pics start on page 10 I think.  But the discussion leading up to it has some good parts too.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=2785.450

3rd one and we added a pocket fishing kit.

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=10606.0

I've done some solos in between but no pics so they didn't happen.  I'll not forget the camera next time.

It was fun to go back and remember, review, and see the pics.   :)
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Pot and Machete History
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
I was going to ask this on the other thread of your recent trip but I'll ask it here. 

Most of your trips only had small fish, turtle, bitter oranges and palm hearts.  For a longer survival I cant see those three being enough.  Is it because of hunting regulations you can not have other items on the menu?   And if there wasn't regulations what else would or could be on the survival menu?   And what about different seasons?  Are the options different as far as food?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
  Madmax,
    Every one of those links is worth a look-see! Nice to see that you organized them for folks!
:thumbsup:

:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
Thanks MS.

WW,
         With no regulations we could eat like kings with snares and/or a gun.  Birds, squirrel, armadillo, pig, turtle, gator, mussels (kinda cool for diving right now but we could've done that), raccoon, otter  :(  (don't think I could do that), possum.  Even some of the plants are protected.  Acorns off the white oaks are edible off the ground, but the animals have cleaned them up already.  Monkeys are out.  They carry a fatal form of herpes B.  Palm berries and deer berries at the right time of the year (not now).   Some aquatic plants like cattail and lily pad roots (barf).  Inner bark off of some trees like Sweet Gum and Beech.

We tread lightly really.  Because of laws and because we've got a good thing on that section of river and don't want to screw it up. 

I keep learning.  And I think I've still a long way to go.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »
  That's some great stuff.

I would be disqualified, because I'm not going anywhere without coffee and my pipe.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
LOL.

Yeah, in order of in' about not having it.  What was going through my head anyway and a little overheard mumbling...

TP -  Oak leaves are a little "crisp" right now.  Not comfortable or...um precise.  Most of our oak leaves are very
         small.  The stuff that looks good has chiggers.  You don't want them "down there".
Chair - Laying down or standing up unless you have the third world squat or cross legged sit down cold.
COFFEE - Really a bigger deal than you think.  Caffeine addiction isn't a myth.  We learned to cut back before the
               challenge immediately.
Salt     -   I  cut out a lot with blood pressure problems.  But even then,  it REALLY helps the taste of food.
Sleep   -   No getting around this.  Suck it up. Palm leaves help with retaining body heat, but those old backs will
                bark after a night on the ground.

YMMV

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
Pot and Machete trips are more a test of your mental state, than your outdoor skill set.  I don't think that there are many folks mentally prepared to go off with virtually nothing, and face being out in nature.
Back in the day, I could do the trips, now?  Not so much, but then I don't have anything to prove to myself about ability.   

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »
Thanks for re-posting the links to those threads Max, they were cool to look back over again... 8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
Next time take along foods you 'could' have caught and learn to make them primitively over fire?  Like a few live rabbits in a carry cage..or a small weaned pig or goose.   Oranges, berries and other things that grow down there but can be found in the stores.   Still using the knife/pot challenge and figuring out how to butcher/cook and salvage for future meals would be a learning experience.  I've just had to learn to thwack a live rabbit and butcher it.  It took ALOT of nerve to do it in the first place.  I was surprised at myself.

WW. 
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Butchering bunnies is tough.  You have to disconnect