Author Topic: Just picked up my third MLL knife  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Just picked up my third MLL knife
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

It's the "Different K",  Mario's version of a Kephart,  hammer marked finish,  full convexed blade with walnut scales,  I guess you could say I'm a fan of MLL knives.   
                                                                                                :hail:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Just picked up my third MLL knife
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »

It's the "Different K",  Mario's version of a Kephart,  hammer marked finish,  full convexed blade with walnut scales,  I guess you could say I'm a fan of MLL knives.   
                                                                                                :hail:
Yeah, me too.....

(Caution: cuss word in use)

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
Where is the photo or do you want to find it in Mario's stuff?

I want a photo.   :shrug:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »

Sorry Stan,  for now you'll have to find a 'Different K' in Mario's gallery section.  the only differerence will be in the scales,  the two he has pictured have Micarta scales,  mine Has unfinished Walnut scales,  I'm not sure yet whether to stain them or leave them natural and just treat them with gunstock oil.
  I picked it up on a trade,  but it's new and unused and comes with a brown leather dangler sheath with a removable ferro rod holder. 
  I'm a big fan of Kephart styled blades and prefer wood scales so it worked out quite well,  my Adirondack knife is also in the gallery, the one pictured with the bocote scales, it's a Nessmuck influenced knife, my other is the Splinter S,  I think you remember what that one is like,  only now it's wearing a new sheath very much like the sheath your Baby Bush lives in.   ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 05:17:23 PM »
Oh yea! Sweet blade.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »

Yea, At least a link to the pic of the knife in Mario's gallery  :shrug:

p.s... You did hear that even Wolfy posts pics now, didn't ya ?    ;D
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »

Me too... "Pics or it didn't happen", is what I hear preached now and again...
LOL

Just kidding..
 ;D

Moe, you are aware that I had Mario custom modify a couple of his knives for my oldest son & I to get the "spear point" we wanted.  Very proud of them. This was before I knew that Mario made any "Kephart" style.
 :shrug:  Very glad to hear he offers those types as you are not the only one who likes that style.
 :)

Very cool that ya got it and like it... I am looking for at least a link to a pic of one. Or.. do I have to try searching.. Help us out, here.
 ;)

And congrats on getting your new blade!
 :thumbsup: 

wsdstan just posted again, just before I did.. SO here is another Ditto to that post

DITTO!
 ;D

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 06:26:40 PM »

Me too... "Pics or it didn't happen", is what I hear preached now and again...
LOL

Just kidding..
 ;D

Moe, you are aware that I had Mario custom modify a couple of his knives for my oldest son & I to get the "spear point" we wanted.  Very proud of them. This was before I knew that Mario made any "Kephart" style.
 :shrug:  Very glad to hear he offers those types as you are not the only one who likes that style.
 :)

Very cool that ya got it and like it... I am looking for at least a link to a pic of one. Or.. do I have to try searching.. Help us out, here.
 ;)

And congrats on getting your new blade!
 :thumbsup: 

wsdstan just posted again, just before I did.. SO here is another Ditto to that post

DITTO!
 ;D

JB, just go back to the top of the page in the MLL knives section,  there's a 'Different K' thread in the 7th thread down,  and another at the very bottom of the page.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »
This one, although rather than these micarta scales yours is with walnut scales?

Or , this one:

I think that is where ya sent me, anyway. :shrug:   I don't know...

Looks good anyway! :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »

I know,  I know,  I'm a pretty smart guy and in some ways pretty talented with working with my hands,  but when it comes to electronic gadgets I'm about as dumb as a bag full of kitty litter,  I've been trying to get it on my own and getting nowhere,  I tried following Reds tutorial and get lost after the first round of stuff past getting a photo bucket account,  my BIL and grandson have threatened to help me, but they've been flat out at work,  some day I'll get it straight,  but until then I really feel like a dumb $hit ,  I keep remembering that line in "The Edge" where he says "What one man can do,  all can do",  except me.
  The kids come over and get on my laptop, they're typing at warp speed clicking on this, that, dropping down windows, opening new ones,  it's enough to make me dizzy.
                                                                                                      :crazy:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »
This one, although rather than these micarta scales yours is with walnut scales?

Or , this one:

I think that is where ya sent me, anyway. :shrug:   I don't know...

Looks good anyway! :)

That's the knife JB,  only mine has walnut scales and are pinned with brass pins.

I'd enjoy seeing the ones you had Mario modify for you.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
Third one down in this pic below. The two knives ( my son Sams & my customs) are basically identical.
Below that is a couple of odd pics with a Mora Companion MG and a Condo Kephart for comparison.

Side by side custom with Mora Companion MG

Comparison between the thickness of Mario Custom(top) & Condor Kephart ( bottom)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
   ............it's wearing a new sheath very much like the sheath your Baby Bush lives in.   ;)

That sheath the baby bush is in is a dandy and I would imagine a larger one for the Splinter S I traded you would be a very nice sheath.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
I don't think I have seen a MLL knife I don't like.
all look like good users.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 05:50:47 AM »
   ............it's wearing a new sheath very much like the sheath your Baby Bush lives in.   ;)

That sheath the baby bush is in is a dandy and I would imagine a larger one for the Splinter S I traded you would be a very nice sheath.

Someday I'll get pictures up.    :)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 05:54:55 AM »

If I had the money, I could get myself in a LOT of trouble with his knives!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »

I haven't used the Adirondack enough to comment on it yet,  and I just got the Kephart on Monday,  the scales were unfinished walnut,  so all I've done with it is to stain them and seal them with Gun stock oil,  I have used the splinter S and it's been a joy to work with,  the knife is holding up to hard use the way you would want it to and hope it will.
  I can't say enough good about Mario's knives,  IMHO they are as good as the higher priced offerings on the market for close to half the price,  plus his service is as good as you could ask for,  most custom knife makers have a waiting list from months to several years long,  with Mario you're talking weeks,  though as his knives get better known in the US that may change accordingly.
  Being partial to Kephart styled blades I'm thinking it will end up being my favorite of the three.