Author Topic: DIY SHTF type style knives  (Read 1930 times)

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
DIY SHTF type style knives
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
So we all know knives are paramount to survival. But this guy raises a good point. What if something catastrophic happens, and you are without a single blade. Not even a folding knife. What would you do? Search DIY survival knife for under $1 on YouTube ( finally got my internet speed back) and let's discuss what you would do. And for this, all you guys who have a gadjillion blades, please play hypothetical with me here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: DIY SHTF type style knives
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
Some of us have discussed a no knife Pot & Machete Challenge.  We thought we could  break apart limestone around the river and break it up to get to the chert.  Tried it.  easier said than done.

I barely got past a minute in the vid.

Premise.

You're walking around out there and you have no knife.

possible

You find a pile of sawzall and hacksaw blades (that he doesn't know what they are...), a ruler, a magic marker, a file, etc.  But no knives?

Sorry, but it's a ridiculous scenario.

Making a knife out of scrap for fun and practice is not.

Lesson.   Don't lose your knives
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »
I can't watch videos at work, however making a knife from scrap in an urban setting is pretty simple.
Even out in many rural areas, you're likely to come across tins, scrap metal, car parts etc.
Grinding an edge on soft metal against a rock is time consuming but not onerous.
Scrap cloth can be used to bind the blade to a split stick.
As mentioned above, making a decent knife from rock is more difficult.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
  Concrete works pretty well to file down steel to a reasonable edge.  There are other things to get a finer edge....glass, or a ceramic coffee mug.

It would be easy to craft some sort of blade. It may not be tempered or super hard, but you could make something for basic cutting tasks simple enough in an urban or suburban area.

If oyu ever worked with sheet metal, or anything similar like stovepipe...you know that these things are practically knives already. For something tougher or thicker, I'm sure some sort of metal junk could be found....but really.....it'd be just as easy to find a kitchen knife somewhere.....from a butter knife to a chef's knife, or butcher knife.

Actually, I think a knife would be about the easiest tool to find or make if needed.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Speaking of which, I have actually found a real stainless steel butter knife half buried in the sand at what was probably a campsite a few decades ago while out bumming around in the sticks. You can actually find a knife in the wilds! :D

I wouldn't count on it though, but there are enough steel and aluminum cans to be able to make something that will cut. You probably won't be able to make great feather sticks or anything but you can make something that will gut a fish or cut cordage.

Almost everyone has somethingthey put in their pockets every day. You should be carrying a pocket knife everywhere, at least a SAK, (where legal, of course). If you can carry keys and a wallet, you can carry a knife and a small ferro rod and flashlight. I have a ferro rod on my keychain. If I am ever somehow stranded with nothing but my clothes and keys, I can strike that ferro rod with a sharp rock.

Even a pair of scissors can be disassembled to make 2 knife-ish tools.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
So we all know knives are paramount to survival. But this guy raises a good point. What if something catastrophic happens, and you are without a single blade. Not even a folding knife. What would you do? Search DIY survival knife for under $1 on YouTube ( finally got my internet speed back) and let's discuss what you would do. And for this, all you guys who have a gadjillion blades, please play hypothetical with me here.

Sorry Bud,  I know you mean well,  and I'm sure you'll find some good folks to interact with you on the thread, so good luck with it.

Personally,  I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have some kind of reliable knife on me either in my pocket, around my neck, or on my belt,  and I've played with using various local rocks to bust off flakes large enough to use as a cutting tool,  I've even made make shift handles and turned them into primitive knives,  but doubt the day will ever come where I would be forced to make or find a substitute cutting tool.
  I would be soooo bummed.     :lol:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
I've noticed a trend in that will never happen replies. And the more I look aroun in town I notice just how many people carry more than one belt clipped to them. I agree. This will never happen

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
I can't remember a time where I didn't have a blade on me. But let's assume for some reason I was without one....

any DIY knife could be made from galvanized steel garbage cans, #10 food cans and lids, aluminum siding, Steel pallet banding [the bindings on loads of 2" X __ wood/plywood, tall pallet loads of boxed items, etc.], steel gutters and downspouts, steel drafting rulers [like we use in leather crafting], steel and aluminum yard sticks and woodworking squares, side/access panels to computer towers, cookie sheets/baking pans......

You name it...I could make a blade out of just about anything I could find.
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?