Author Topic: Seed savers?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Seed savers?
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
Wondering how many folks are into harvesting their garden seeds for future use?
We've had good luck with various heirloom beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and radishes. The spinach we don't harvest. We just shake the plants in the greenhouse and the next spring they sprout up again.

Any other seed savers here?
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline econnofoot

• Whetstone
Re: Seed savers?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
I and some friends did back when I lived in more rural area(they have since passed away and I have no clue what happened to all the seeds we saved, I was living in New Orleans when they died), I unfortunately don't really have the ability to properly garden where I'm currently living, or I would. 
"I once Saw a Stripper in Amsterdam do the Scandi-Grind"

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
I've got some garlic seeds that I got from my uncle before he passed.  Don't know if they'll take as it's been a few years :-\

I found TONS of volunteer red leafed lettuce in my greenhouse this year.....so that was a nice surprise.  I guess my being lazy and letting them go to seed has paid off.  I've saved radish and dill seeds, but that's the extent of it.  I've got more leftover seeds than I know what to do with so I haven't taken the time to save seeds.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
It's amazing how long seeds will remain viable under the right conditions.  I've heard rumors about seeds being sprouted that were found in Egyptian tombs!

A great book on the subject is Seed to Seed (Suzanne Ashworth). It covers just about everything, down to special harvesting techniques for specific varieties.  According to her, vacuum sealed and frozen seeds have a shelf life of about 20 years.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
It's amazing how long seeds will remain viable under the right conditions.  I've heard rumors about seeds being sprouted that were found in Egyptian tombs!

That reminds me (I'm sure this didn't escape your notice a few months back):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17100574
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »
Thanks! I hadn't read that before. It would be fascinating to know their exact technique, since they didn't use the seeds directly.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
I do try to save seeds when I can.    Its been a few years since I've had a decent garden so I'll have to check the seeds I have.

I have a bowl of asparagus seed in front of me that I need to bust open the pods and get them into the dirt.

Some of the things I like to keep each year..

Peppers, tomatoes, cukes, beans, zuccinni, radish, kohlrabi if its sets early, pumpkin and I know I'm forgetting some.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
Some seeds are a piece o' cake to save, like squash, pumpkin and beans.
Lettuce is the pits! Some of the herb seeds are even smaller than lettuce seeds.
The tricky ones are those in pulpy fruit, like tomato and cucumber. Tomato seed saving drives me up the wall!

"I have a bowl of asparagus seed in front of me that I need to bust open the pods and get them into the dirt." -- WW. 
Boy, you have more patience than me! Seed to feed on asparagus is what....4 years????

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
You can pick at 3 years.   :)

I have two beds going now already so planting another bed and letting it grow wont bother me now.  :)

You let them grow one year.. dig up and then bury further down up to 18 inches for the permenent bed.

Yes..tomato seeds suck when your trying to clean them.  I really dont , let them dry on the paper towel and then moosh the paper towel.  99% of them will break away from the pulp.   If not..shucks plant that too.. ha ha

Another thing I like to do when out walking in the woods is grab the older dryer wild grapes and just toss them about...     just cuz.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »
The one thing I learned about cucumbers, all varieties, is to let the ones you want for seeds go really, really soft. To the point you wouldn't want to eat them. That gives the seeds a chance to mature before harvesting. The "fruit" of the cucumber is really the food for the growing seeds.
Technically, that holds true for squash, too.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »
I was out walking in the garden today..   Something squash like started on its own out there.  What, I dont know, but I'll let it live since its out of the way.    So now I have a mystery plant out there..   this will be fun. :)

I've had potatoes that were forgotten in the garden beds come up the next spring.   One bed just didnt get dug up.    I got a really good crop out of them the second year.  I was surprised.   But I KNOW if I purposely planted in the fall like that I'd loose every one of em.   ha ha.

WW.