Author Topic: wind/solar in upstate NY.  (Read 1458 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
wind/solar in upstate NY.
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:47 PM »
I argue the wind maps. I know the winds at my place are far higher than any wind map I've seen. I am 11 miles south east of Lake Ontario. There is very little change in elevation.

I plan on building my own wind generator. I have a permanent Magnet motor of 12 to 48 volts. I am hoping to utilize the gear reduction or planetary gear box from an ATV winch to increase the motor speed. I am looking for an airplane prop 80" or bigger.

I would like to see your setups if you have any. Home, cabin, or even tree fort.

Here is an example of what the wind is today for the last 10 hours.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: wind/solar in upstate NY.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »
You're right.....according to the wind map, southeast Michigan looks like it's in the doldrums, compared to out here on the Great Plains!

http://hint.fm/wind/

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
Don't ya have to use it, sell it, or store it?

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:37 AM »
Over the past 5-6yrs I've seen a lot of those solar panels sprouting up in southern Ontario on farms, I've heard they sell back to the local power companys what they don't use... not sure what the outlay for the set-up is in the beginning but it can't be cheap.

Wind power... at least the big turbines are not very popular amongst those who live near them or from the bird folks.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to live in close proximity to one of those wind farms, either.  Nebraska has the wind potential for lots of them, but the infrastructure to carry the power to the larger metropolitan areas that can use it, does not presently exist.  Building all those big towers and stringing the transmission lines through the many miles of scantily populated areas to the heavily populated areas that could use the power makes the cost and practicality of such a project counterproductive.  We have one small wind farm about 65 miles upriver from us, but it is in an area with pre-existing transmission lines.  Gavin's Point Dam is only a few miles away from it, so the area is able to produce a steady stream of water & wind power and run it all through the same transmission lines. :thumbsup:

Solar power seems like it is becoming more economically feasible for small farms and individual residences, according to some of the stuff I'm reading in ag publications, newspapers and Popular Mechanics Magazine.  The individual silicon cells are becoming much less costly to produce, making small supplemental power-producing units affordable, with a much shorter time period necessary before payback begins.  Since it doesn't need infrastructure to transport large amounts of power when it is not all usable by the producer, selling it back to the power company, by tapping into existing power lines, is possible & practical.   Of course, the sun has to shine in order for them to work, too......something that often does not happen in some areas during the winter months. :-\

Time will tell. :shrug:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:41:33 AM »
Don't ya have to use it, sell it, or store it?

Creek

yes you do. I am planning on using a battery from a fork lift. At the end of their life in a warehouse, they still have the potential to run a decent home for a few years. They have a 30 year lifespan in industrial use. Ours at work have 6 trojans in them. I am hoping to buy one of the old ones from them.

Charge controller too. Not planning on selling back to the grid, I won't have that much potential.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »
Are you using the voltage from the batteries as it exists or converting it with inverters?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
We looked at solar power. When you price the panels vs what the companies charge to install them, it is a shock how much the companies are profiting. WAY more than traditional energy companies' profit margins.

In any case the only way for solar to be economical is if you install it yourself.