Author Topic: Saturday Morning Hike  (Read 1217 times)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
Saturday Morning Hike
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »
I had to get into the woods Saturday morning, been thinking about it all week.  So, I got up early and got out at first light. I didn't take the dogs along because I planned to stop and cook breakfast, and at 0o they'd be uncomfortable being still so long.  I went to a place that I hiked last winter on a wildlife management area, and planned to stop in a stand of mostly burr oaks next to a cattail slough to cook breakfast.  I had some venison sausage and coffee.  There was even a small pile of deadwood stashed last year I'd forgotten. 

I had a Corona saw and a newly acquired Jeff White Bush knife to process the firewood.  The Corona was satisfactory.  I like the knife, the curly maple handle is comfortable, but I need to refine the edge a little.  It did really well on the straight grained maple and pine at the house, but the knotty burr oak is another story. 

There were several woodpeckers making noise as I was processing firewood.  There were moose tracks around the site, but I didn't see any animals. 

Here's a short video:
[/video]

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Saturday Morning Hike
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
I've got a little grill like that....I think I bought it at a rendezvous a LONG time ago.  Very handy little grill for one or two people! 

Thanks for going to the trouble of making the video on such a chilly morning.  :thumbsup:  It looked like a good time & I could smell the sausage cooking from here! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:37:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not all that tech savvy, so making and editing these videos has a steep learning curve. 

I bought the little grill from Crazy Crow a few years ago.  I like it and for as heavy as it is, it packs well behind my foam seat cushion and adds some rigidity to the pack.  It is a handy piece of kit.

Wes

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:49 PM »
Howdy Wes!
great to see ya out there amigo...love the grill and that frost river isle royale is a style pack i use to own and i can vouch for its quality and ruggedness!
thanks for sharing...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing your temps and snow cover Wes, I could see your frustration trying to shave that oak. Red and I tested every blade we had between use at the Knapp in campout on a winged Elm stave I was trying to trim down, let me tell ya its some tuff stuff, even broke a big chunk out of one blade right in the middle  :-[  That oak must be in the same class.
Glad you got out and that sausage sure looked good  :thumbsup:
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »
Thanks Wes.  Nice video and the food looked good. 

That is a nice pack that Woods mentioned.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)