Author Topic: The great 2015 winter depression progression  (Read 1788 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
The great 2015 winter depression progression
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
This February was brutal. The cold, the snow, and the wind. Living in the northeast it is truly essential to be prepared for heavy snow and cold. We did good this year.  Enough wood and close to the window for throwing inside.

The wood gave a us a reprieve from the propane truck. It has always been a struggle to keep the 500' driveway clean enough for them to get back to deliver. Here is the heavy and icy snow of today. The snow blower can hardly chew through it and the chevy won't budge it.

Took two pictures of the driveway. the first shows the length. The second shows the snow banks. We can get 2" of snow and the wind will fill the entire driveway in to the full almost 3' depth.

Now on to the plow truck. The cab is shot. rusted bad. It is sinking down onto the frame and this causes the clutch to not work properly. I jacked up and braced it with blocks of wood and steel. It didn't last and now the clutch doesn't engage. I can adjust it to engage but then it will not disengage without the push rod popping out of the throwout bearing arm. I am removing the entire body and building a small single seat cab and small engine cover this summer. It has no title anyway, so it will never be road legal.

The snow is Deep everywhere. Here is my road bike. 1981 Suzuki GS850. The old CJ-5 body is on the ground covered too.

Here is the 1985 Honda Sabre 700 and some of the wood pile buried in the snow. That snow pile out there is about 15 feet high, it's deceiving because the front yard tapers down hill. It's where I pushed the front yard to keep the front door accessible for groceries and the horse feed. Everything is harder in this kind of snow. Just getting to the horse barn is exhausting enough then carrying a 5 gallon pail of water and about 5 pounds of food. This was only February and it's getting warm enough now in March that any snow we do get will melt down as temps fluctuate between 40 and -10 each day...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: The great 2015 winter depression progression
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »
That is a tough winter you have had.

Nice snowplow truck though.  I use a Bobcat and it takes awhile to get down to the country road but doesn't matter since they don't get around to plowing it for a few days anyway.  You and I need a front mounted snowblower of some type to just drive along and create a driveway. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »
I have to say a public thank you to my neighbor. I got my chevy stuck and had to get to work. Then we got hammered and it was really buried.

Then I thought the clutch went as it had no gears, like neutral. He came over with his snow blower and cleared the end of my driveway enough to get my ford in off the road. I bought a pulk sled to drag the groceries and horse feed to the house.

Then he came over and asked if I checked to make sure  the transfer case wasn't in neutral?? Yeah it was. Not much but enough that when I pushed the shifter back it clunked right back into 4 low. I felt like an idiot. It sat stuck for over a week.

Yes I would love a skid steer. I have seen snow blower attachments for pickups too. They have an engine that goes in the back to run the hydraulic pump, which  drives the blower. $$$$

I have no complaints about my $700 chevy. This is my 5th winter with it. Now it just needs some mods and it'll be good for another 20 years.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
The Chevy rust thing is a major pain for sure!  They do make a hydraulic clutch conversion if you don't want to tackle the cab issues.  Kinda pricey though. 

I remember knocking the 4X4 shifter once and thinking the trans had gone out....  Also had one of my sons foot hit the fuel tank switch and put it EXACTLY in the center position, where it won't pull from either tank.  Dies going down the road, cranks but won't start....get pissed....then look over at his foot and how close it is to the dash....checked switch....thank you Lord!!!  LOL

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »
I'm glad the time changes back this week end. I've had about my fill of cold too.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
It's going to be almost 70* here in a couple of days.....60s the rest of the week.   You know.........NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD! :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
I feel for you.   With our mile long driveway I know what  you mean by ANY wind filling it right bck up.   We used to just say " someone sneezed...theres a five foot drift"...      We've gone through trucks, blades and had a big White tractor with two stage blower.   Kid left.. we sold the blower to the neighbor who thought it was Christmas for the deal we gave him.  Now he has the chore of this driveway.  This year has been quiet as far as snow... I'm not missing it. 

This is the first part of the driveway .. as far as you can see there will be the curve shown on the second pix..

This is the second half going to the farm here on the island.  The drive goes up a steep hill to the house here in the tree's.

So ANY wind from any direction will fill us up fast.   

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
WOW! I can imagine how stranded you must feel. I hope everything is well stocked for you. I hope I can finish the pto shaft to the gearbox on my CJ-5 for a snow blower next year. I can't afford a tractor, but I can fabricate things quite well. This summer will be more prepping for next winter. Way more quality wood and multiple ways to clear the drive way.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
XJ.. the prepping never stops does it?   Better pipe protection, better tires, extra everything..  Shelves stocked. 

I don't burn wood here but I sure wish I did.  Woodstove heat warms the bones up. :)

Snow blowers are the way to go...throw that snow further away and there's not piles of snow close by to start another drift the minute the winds start up again.   I hope you get your project done by next winter.

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.