Author Topic: Scandi grind jigs  (Read 4911 times)

Offline The Infidel

• Banned
  • Mill File
Scandi grind jigs
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
Are you guys using jigs or are you freehanding the grind. Ive tried too make a couple jigs but didnt like the way it turned out. If youre using jigs, would you mind sharing a pic or two.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Scandi grind jigs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:54:53 AM »
Man, I had a whole jig build post in my old vendor forum, but it's gone now.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I know a lot of guys just lay the blade on the tool rest and grind away, but I like using a jig.
Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushlore = Quality over Quantity

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:29:56 AM »
I'm a freehander. :D
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
I remember your jig thread, it is topnotch!

Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Ok, here are some new pics of my jig. I built it using 1/4" thick, 2" aluminum angle, and a 1/4"X2"X4" piece of aluminum plate. (approximately)

Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushlore = Quality over Quantity

Offline Red (TM)

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
kind of a boring watch, but i made this video for a new maker over there...

this is how i grind scandi blades

"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
Great video!  You make it look too easy.

Offline Red (TM)

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
thanks  ;D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »
That's slick guys!  It's cool to see different ways like that!!

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
Huh. That's pretty slick, Red.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:33:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing your techniques guys.  As I was watching the vid (yup, the whoooole thing), I hear from the other room, "WHAT IS THAT NOISE!!!".  "oops, sorry honey.  it's red mak..."  "WHAT???" "IT"S RED GRINDI..." "WHATISTHATNOISE???"  "I'll turn it down."  "ARE YOU USING THAT SANDER THING ON THE PORCH AGAIN!?!?!  I DON"T WHAT THAT MESS TRACKED INTO THE HOUSE AGAIN! I JUST VACUUMED THE..."

yes dear...
I'm back off my meds.  It wasn't any fun.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing your techniques guys.  As I was watching the vid (yup, the whoooole thing), I hear from the other room, "WHAT IS THAT NOISE!!!".  "oops, sorry honey.  it's red mak..."  "WHAT???" "IT"S RED GRINDI..." "WHATISTHATNOISE???"  "I'll turn it down."  "ARE YOU USING THAT SANDER THING ON THE PORCH AGAIN!?!?!  I DON"T WHAT THAT MESS TRACKED INTO THE HOUSE AGAIN! I JUST VACUUMED THE..."

yes dear...

That's funny...........  :P

Offline Red (TM)

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »

yes dear...

LOL!!!!

didnt mean to get you in trouble max!

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
yes dear...

Thanks for sharing.  I'm still grinding by hand...

And madmax, I know the story.  Anytime "scratching" is happening (sanding, filing, drilling, etc), my wife doesn't ask what's going on, she just closes the door to wherever I am and puts on earmuffs... and then I have to clean up my own mess... good times.
What's that smell?

Offline JTD

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
Post Resurrection!!  :devil:

I dig that the jig PW, but I really like how Reds tool rest can adjust like that against the platen.  Wish someone sold an upgrade to the Grizzly grinder tool rest,  especially something that could do what that Craftsman does...

Anyone else do scandi grinding?  Care to show your jigs?!

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »
I must have missed this earlier... Good stuff!

Thanks PW and Red.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost."  - Horace Kephart, 1917

Offline Yellowyak

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
Thanks for the resurrection. Red, I really enjoyed your video, too cool. And PW, that looks like a very cool jig.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 04:13:02 AM »
Good thread - great info.  Thanks PW and Red.

Offline xj35s

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »

yes dear...

This fits here... Sorry Max.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
Great tune! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost."  - Horace Kephart, 1917

Offline Mudman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »
I use a jig. Tried freehand, but couldn't get crisp lines.

Offline simplejester

• Mill File+
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 06:31:50 AM »
kind of a boring watch, but i made this video for a new maker over there...

this is how i grind scandi blades

Hey Red, I know this is an old post, but I have been eyeing that belt grinder you're using in the video for a while now. I am using a HF  1x30 and it does a good job, but this set up looks much more substantial. Is it still running strong, and would you recommend it? I like making knives, but I can't see springing for a $2,500 grinder! :) If I get this puppy I will put a leather belt or something on the little 1x30
Knowledge and practice are two things that are essential for survival, but neither can be carried in a backpack.

Offline Red (TM)

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »
That grinder is still my primary tool, still running strong, and has paid for itself probably 20 times by now. only downside is the speed, it goes really fast. Other than that, I have no issues with it.

And before someone jumps my ass about VFD, this isn't a motor, it has a rotor/stater set up in it.

:thumbsup:

Offline simplejester

• Mill File+
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
That grinder is still my primary tool, still running strong, and has paid for itself probably 20 times by now. only downside is the speed, it goes really fast. Other than that, I have no issues with it.

And before someone jumps my ass about VFD, this isn't a motor, it has a rotor/stater set up in it.

:thumbsup:

Ok, you talked me into it! lol My cheap little 1x30 actually works pretty good. But, I think that extra inch of belt would be the cats meow. Thanks for the reply Red!  :cheers:
Knowledge and practice are two things that are essential for survival, but neither can be carried in a backpack.

Offline Red (TM)

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »

Ok, you talked me into it! lol My cheap little 1x30 actually works pretty good. But, I think that extra inch of belt would be the cats meow. Thanks for the reply Red!  :cheers:

Its a great grinder, you won't regret buying it. I use if for so much more than just knife making, it really is a versatile tool.

Offline Mudman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 01:18:25 AM »
1x30's are awesome, just can't beat the price. I have one, and sharpened many axes and knives with it. Many knife makers continue to do amazing work with them. I upgraded to a KMG though, and haven't looked back. But to be truthful the KMG itself wasn't as great as I had hoped. Next grinder is going to be a TW-90 once I save up.

Offline Grizzly

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
Watched your vid, thanks for that Red.  I have the same Craftsman grinder and you're inspring me to start dabbling in grinding my own blades.  Do you buy special belts for yours or do you just use the 3 grits Sears sells?
Craig R. Collier

Offline Mudman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:18 AM »
Lots of online stores sell killer belts. If you want to grind blanks, look into ceramic belts.

I buy most if not all my belts from trugrit. They are a family business and local to me. I often stop by and hang out or for a few hours.

Always remember though, the fancy tools only speed up time. Won't necessarily make your work better. Use what you have and slowly save for what you really want. You're thought on things can change a whole bunch after making a few knives on what's already around you.

Of course we also have the natural attraction to tools. If I find a paperclip with wifi, I'd probably buy it. Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Offline simplejester

• Mill File+
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
Watched your vid, thanks for that Red.  I have the same Craftsman grinder and you're inspring me to start dabbling in grinding my own blades.  Do you buy special belts for yours or do you just use the 3 grits Sears sells?

Yeah, I bought that Craftsman grinder last week and am in the process of making a ceramic platen for it. I can already tell that this guy is a pretty big step up from my lil 1x30. :)