Author Topic: Swedish torch  (Read 1075 times)

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
Swedish torch
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »
Just watched a really video on them. Cutting an x into a single log and the fire burns in the cuts that are 3/4 of the way through. Supposed to burn 3-4 hours. Any one here ever try it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Swedish torch
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
I think it was acara that did one down at Kicco camp a few years ago.  Pretty impressive.  Maybe somebody in the Tribe has a pic.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »
I still haven't made one yet... Doesn't come to mind when I am out, I guess..
:shrug: 

Here is some more to look at if ya want:
http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=4943.0

:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »
I think we tried it at a bushcraft bullies meet up without success. It's been a while and I can't remember what our difficulty was.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Swedish torch
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
I haven't tried it with the chainsaw, but I did one a couple of years ago with a smallish piece of white spruce (say 15cm/6" diameter).
I tapped the four quarters into the snow and stuffed the X with alternating layers of birch bark and spruce twigs. It took a bit to get going and then burned okay for about an hour but the spread at the top got too wide to sustain the fire. If I had had some wire I could have brought them together I think.
In any case, it's a neat cooking fire in deep snow, but not one I find useful enough to spend much time practicing. If next winter is like this one, I may change my tune though.
Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:42:19 PM by Yeoman »
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »
I made one some years ago using a 5 inch diameter Eastern Red Cedar (Juniper) log. Split it half and half again, wrapped bittersweet vine around the bottom to hold it together, set it in the snow, and started it with small twigs and birch bark in the gaps. They can be tricky to light, there has to be enough of a gap for oxygen to feed to fire, otherwise the flames will soon die out. It is best to light these with a flame to start with, whether it be a bic lighter, a match, etc. Light the bottom of the twigs first, and if those catch onto the twigs above, you should be good to go. ;)
Mine lasted at least 3 hours :).
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/