Author Topic: Heat Treating problem  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Bakdrft911

• Mill File
Heat Treating problem
« on: March 21, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »
I made this propane forge out of a 1 qt soup can. I am having problems with inconsistent edge temper. Parts of the edge can be sharpened and some parts cannot. What to do?

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: Heat Treating problem
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
Maybe a little more info- as in parts of the edge are still too hard to sharpen?  Is it the propane forge where the torch tip comes in through the side?  If so, the flame is pretty concentrated and you maybe didn't get all of the edge heated enough- just as a possibility.  You have to "play", or move the blank in and out to get all of it in contact with the flame.  Just what first comes to mind....

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »
You did temper it after quenching it, right?  You can temper most carbon steels in a kitchen oven and get a more uniform heat distribution. A small forge can concentrate the heat, making the areas that got direct flame impingement too hot. Non uniform heating gives uneven hardening and may result in distortion or cracks.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Bakdrft911

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Thanks I think that's the problem. Inconsistent heat as well as the flame inside the forge

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
Also be sure you use a known good steel to eliminate a possible source of inconsistencies.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:25:52 PM »
Get a steel pipe to put in your can. It will keep the flame off the blade and possibly solve your problems.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Bakdrft911

• Mill File
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »
Devised a new forge using a larger container and moved the heat source more towards the front aimed up and back to encourage a circular flame motion. Seemed to heat the blade better. I am in the process of sharpening the edge and found no "Hard" areas.

Thanks