Author Topic: College Student Lives Like Thoreau...  (Read 3090 times)

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
College Student Lives Like Thoreau...
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has read about this, but I found it very interesting.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/College-Senior-Gives-New-Meaning-to-Living-Off-Campus-298571441.html

This man, Dylan Miller, has chosen to live in the manner of Henry David Thoreau during his senior year at Juniata College in Pennsylvania. He has already spent 10 months in the woods off-campus, about 30 minutes away from the university by foot. He lives in a self-made shelter of dead-fall timber insulated with leaves, with a tarp for a roof, heated by a propane burner. Dylan is a Philosophy and English major studying the works of Thoreau, but instead of just researching and reading about him, he has immersed himself in the minimalist lifestyle as part of his senior year project.

Big :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Dylan and his efforts. I think we can all learn from his example.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: College Student Lives Like Thoreau...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »
Kind of a cool, yurt-like, temporary abode he put together there.....hope he remembered to install a smoke alarm! ???    How did that area of Pennsylvania fare, as far as the yearly snow amounts are concerned......comp ared to, say Massachusetts?   
                                                       :fire2:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
My favorite Thoreau quote is this one.........

?I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms.?
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
This happens more often that you might think.....Huts, tents, tipi's vans school buses.....

He put him self in a realistic situation....and appears that he learned for it.

Good for him.....

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
I remember reading in one of Cody Lundin's books that he lived in a 'brush shelter' during his years attending Prescott College in Prescott, Arizona.......proba bly not that much different than the shelter young Mr. Miller constructed for himself.  ???

Who knows, this guy may make be one of our next Dual Survivor TV stars. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Kind of a cool, yurt-like, temporary abode he put together there.....hope he remembered to install a smoke alarm! ???    How did that area of Pennsylvania fare, as far as the yearly snow amounts are concerned......comp ared to, say Massachusetts?   
                                                       :fire2:
Can't say, but Boston, Massachusetts is well over 100 inches according to NOAA. Probably a lot more in the Cheshire range.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
Good for him, will probably be the best life lesson he learns at school.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"