Author Topic: TEDIOUS MAP CONVERSIONS MADE EASY  (Read 4460 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
TEDIOUS MAP CONVERSIONS MADE EASY
« on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »
This is a tremendous site for plugging figures into a simple converter instead of punching a calculator. :banana:

http://www.beg.utexas.edu/GIS/tools/index.html
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: TEDIOUS MAP CONVERSIONS MADE EASY
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »
I used to do the conversions from DMS to DD.mmmm using the GPS itself. I'd change the format in the GPS, then save a waypoint with the desired coordinates, then switch the format and it would convert all the waypoints in the unit. But it was tedious.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks Wolfy.  That is a good resource.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 05:16:20 PM »
Thank you for the resource, it is bookmarked and will be a goto.
Nice matters

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »
Looks like a great link Wolfy, thanks for the share.

Wolfy, I haven't heard you opinion on the UTM grid system is something you like. I learned this system after the military and in the local CERT team. Did that sling bag work out for you that you won on a previous forum?

Here is a link for the UTM system. https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/utm

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
That is a tremendous source for grid measurement tools which I have used for ordering lots of different map-related tools.  I remember mentioning it in post #7 of this thread....

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=7100.0

The PDF that I mentioned in that same thread & post has some really good instructions on UTM grid use, too.  There are even some tools included that you can copy on your own for FREE near the end (Appendix C, Pages 169-174) of that government-sponsored PDF, also......

http://www.nwcg.gov/pms/pubs/475/PMS475.pdf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:05:40 AM by wolfy »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »
Looks like a great link Wolfy, thanks for the share.

Wolfy, I haven't heard you opinion on the UTM grid system is something you like. I learned this system after the military and in the local CERT team. Did that sling bag work out for you that you won on a previous forum?

Here is a link for the UTM system. https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/utm

It just occurred to me that I had not fully answered your questions with my last post. :-[    I really don't use the UTM grid too much, UNLESS the topo map is one of the newer ones that is already gridded into the 1000 meter blocks.  The main reason for that is that it tends to 'clutter' the map and make it more confusing when I am seeking precise 'to-the-second' measurements using a map ruler with the curved meridian lines.  Since latitude lines are parallel and longitude lines are not, I add 2 carefully drawn interior meridians to the typical 1:24,000 topo map, utilizing the 4 little '+' marks that every topo map has at the interior corners of the center quadrant of the map's middle section and the corresponding tic-marks at the north and south map edges.  When you 'connect the dots' of the '+' marks and the corresponding second marks on the border of the map, you get a TRUE north\south meridian that follows the curve of the earth, rather than the perfectly square UTM grid lines that are very slightly 'off' from the truer drawn-in meridian lines. 

Admittedly, this is an unnecessarily finicky obsession in getting a measurement for most people, but for MY needs it is almost a necessity.  Since one of my hobbies is doing magnetic surveys like they used to do when the first land surveys were done at the order of President Jefferson, I NEED very precise measurements.  Those dictate the need for measuring 'to-the-second' with a map ruler from www.maptools.com which I can't use with the square UTM grid.  I find that I get a better match between my figures and the GPS reading at a benchmark point when measuring the map I have marked myself than when marking that same point with a UTM grid roaming tool. 

I need to get some photos of my vaned, 4" dialed, K&E surveying compass and my newest toy, a Boes Astrocompass.  THAT thing took me about two months to master,  :P  but it is as precise an instrument for getting TRUE compass readings as I have found, so far......no magnetic declination or local deviation to deal with, because it depends on Greenwich Mean Time, the sun's current position at a precise time on a given day, hour, minute & second of the year when measured by the Atomic Clock.  A nightmare of timing and self-taught trigonometry. :-\ ..........and then I wonder why I don't sleep at night. :doh: :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the ANALEMMA & EQUATION OF TIME must be taken into consideration, too...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemma
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time

.......and the sling-pack I won works OK, but I haven't used it much. :shrug:  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:39:54 AM by wolfy »

Offline dimanshnur

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
эм..

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:47 AM »
The link in the OP died (I hate when that happens >:(), but fortunately there is another site that provides an even better source for the same calculation and some other interesting stuff besides.  :thumbsup:

http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-seconds-calculator.htm

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
Wolfy, I had no idea you were a hobbiest surveyor.  That makes me smile. 
Do you have a copy of the one of the older BLM manuals?  Lots of stuff in there for you.  I'll look but I think I only have one copy.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
Nope.....no BLM manuals here.  :'(      All I know is what I've gleaned from a couple of OLD textbooks and lots of Internet searching.  Fun hobby and I get to play with some of my better compasses.  I've never shown you all a couple of them......I'll have to get some pictures up for your perusal. :thumbsup:

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 06:54:25 PM »
I'll look through my library and see what I have duplicates of.
I'd love to see your compass collection.  Wonderful instruments that changed the world.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 09:27:08 PM »
Thanks for the update Wolfy! :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
I'll look through my library and see what I have duplicates of.
I'd love to see your compass collection.  Wonderful instruments that changed the world.
I'd love to have a paper copy of that book, Aven, but if you can't find any extra copies, I found a PDF version online.  Paper reproductions are available for $30 and up, but of course I'd like to find one for less money if I can.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/az/pdfs/cad/man.Par.63181.File.dat/complete.pdf

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »
A new manual came out last year, year before.  Time just flies.  Anyway.  The older ones may start popping up at a reasonable price now that they are "obsolete".