Author Topic: What are ya Listening to?  (Read 128619 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
What are ya Listening to?
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
I ofttimes listen to music as I read the forum posts & wondered if anyone else does. Or, if you have a song that is stuck in your head & ant to share with the rest of us..

This may not seem as though it s all that "Bushcraft" like, but, not knowing here else to go with this, I put it here. ;)

Here is an example of what I am listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=tmeWO0dLSiI

& after that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQs7eyC7wEM&feature=related

Have some fun & I'd like to see/hear what you folks listen to...
 :D

{Remove if it is not "appropriate". :) }
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:15:10 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
Re: What are ya Listening to?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
Right now..  not a thing.  NO Tv.. no radio...     Just sitting in the dark listening to the wind howling out there.    And a few of the dogs are snoring...   furnace just kicked on.....       

I like quiet.   ahhh....

BUT..when carving or painting...  50's 60's music......

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
Be honest I don't usually listen to a lot of  music when  browsing but my taste is kinda all over the  place.  Hell I'll throw on  some didgeridoo music  when   the mood strikes 
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
Click on them links I put there.
Might be surprised.
;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
This is where my signature line came from.  Lonesome Dove is a GREAT western and Robert Duval plays a GREAT cowboy!  So, here's my contribution.....
http://m.
 :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:09:53 AM »
The older I get, the less I listen to music anymore.   I really enjoy the quiet.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »
While looking at the threads on B&B, I tend to listen to music on my computer about 50% of the time.  I like all types of music but I have to admit that, most times, I listen to some rather loud music of the punk rock genre.

When I read, it is either quiet or I play the Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer soundtracks by Basil Poledouris.  Considering most of the books I read are Dungeon and Dragon type books, this makes sense (at least to me).
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
I started out with this one today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MYsii4DZY&feature=related

A bit of Grand Funk RR.
:)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
I prefer quiet most of the time.  I contemplate better perhaps.

When I do listen to something its usually softly played country western.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
I started out with this one today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MYsii4DZY&feature=related

A bit of Grand Funk RR.

That has to be one of my all time  favorite  rock tunes  haven't heard in ages thanks  Man
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
Sure! One of my favorites too!
I finished up with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUW1SGF7bR8
Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home - 1969

Just some songs I hadn't heard in a while & thought I would share.

Seems I must be in somewhat of a minority on the listening to tunes when I am browsing. I like my "quiet times" too. But since I am not outside, & I rarely watch TV, it is a thing I do sometimes...

Anyone else have a tune or 2 to pass on?

P.S. wolfy, that link you gave just isn't working for me. Can you please tell me the name of the tune & I will search for it. thnx!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »
It's called 'A Tribute to Gus'.......Still The Same :shrug:    Can't understand it....it works fine from here >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
I found it thru the search:
Here's the URL that I brought here, just to see if it was different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KecAZoW0Uc

here's the one you posted:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3KecAZoW0Uc

Dunno why it not work for me,but I finally got there.

It's a good one too!
 :thumbsup:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
I'm really bad with names, but theres two songs that come to mind that I really like.

One is by a gal who used to sing country songs..but now has a Native American group.  She sings "Walela - The Cherokee Morning Song"...     Her name is on the tip of my tongue ......     I really like her music and would love to get one of her Native American music CD's.   

And the other is the Baby Elephant walk... a musical by ..... umm.....   frank? hank? ....   poo.. I give up.

I have control of the remote right now.. I have Sirius 50's music on Dish.   :)    It motivates me.. hah

WW.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:37:20 AM by WoodsWoman »
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
Right now I'd be thrilled to listen to about anything...3 year old has the TV this time of day...I am so sick of Wow Wow Wubbzy I am about to hurl!  Still better than Dora...but not by much....

My musical tastes run from Loreena McKinnett to Rob Zombie.  Guess it depends on my mood at the moment...I zone off on Jimmy Buffett for hours sometimes, other times it's Drop Kick Murphys and Flogging Molly.  Almost always have time for some Chris Ledeux songs.  RIP Chris...
Most of the time, if it's got a strong bass and electric guitar presence, I'm good. 
Kansas, Scorpions and Steppenwolf to Zombie, AC/DC (no more Metallica...their whining over music sharing put me off of them for good), DKM, Flogging Molly to Chris, Garth, Marty Robbins, CW McCall, Sons of the San Joaquin, to the Go-Gos, Joan Jett/The Runaways, Lita Ford....yeah, I could go on for a while and still forget a lot of those I like. 
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
Here are a few.

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 06:27:09 PM »
This is one of my favorite songs. There's a story behind why, but I like listening to this any time I'm reading outdoorsy stuff.  I think a few might appreciate it. It's been done by many artists since being penned.

Of course, the link in the picture in my Signature is my top favorite when it comes to the wilds......
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
I listened to the Jamie Johnson songs, Greyhound352.

I like the sound & the "Style". It reminds me of someone elses' style too. It "escapes me", but it'll come to me. For some reason, Merle Haggard comes to mind... But at the same time the voice , to me, is almost Randy Travis sounding. Might be the "Bass" sound. The "Lonesome Song" is a good one, but I think I liked the
"Last Cowboy" song as the better of the two!
:thumbsup:
Thnx for sharing!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
OP,
  "You don't know what ya got, til it's gone",
says it all...
 ;)

Good one. I like it for the ords/lyrics & the tune..can't go too wrong in hearing it!

Edit: typos, cuz this damn old laptop sucks. :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:27:21 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
3rd & last time to post here tonite:

2 songs.. make me think of life & how we can do what we can, but we all have to play the cards we are dealt...

The first is a "happy" song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGuBNopzBw&feature=related

The other, if ya listen to the words, makes ya be happy that things are good, not as bad as others' have it.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

Enjoy! And lets' see some more "Picks".

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:34:48 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
3rd & last time to post here tonite:

2 songs.. make me think of life & how we can do what we can, but we all have to play the cards we are dealt...

The first is a "happy" song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGuBNopzBw&feature=related
Here's the version >I< remember. Nobody did it justice after Berl...

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »
I agree, No one does that song better then Burl Ives...

Thnx for showing it.

but I was sticking to the "G.O.B. " theme..

Good Ole Boys.
 ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
Tex Ritter --The Deck Of Cards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsCiaxPhtVY

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
I'm listening to the robins singing their good-night songs.  :)   And I heard a loon not too long ago. 

WW.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
I'm listening to the robins singing their good-night songs.  :)   And I heard a loon not too long ago. 

WW.

Lucky gal...

Half Axe

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »
When I am on the computer, I don't listen to anything.

When doing leather work, especially stitching, I either listen to Wagner - der Ring des Niebelungen ohne worte (German opera without words), or bagpipe band music.

When driving, heavy metal head-banger stuff, keeps me awake during the long stretches of magnificent desolation.

In the woods, I listen to Mother Nature: coyotes howling, trees groaning in the wind, birds singing, rocks rumbling, squirrels giving me hell for invading their turf, that sort of thing.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
right this second...

"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
OH yes..  even "I" can handle Guns and Roses...  :) 

Hey Red...whats that icon in the lower right of your post?   What is that?

WW.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
that is Mjlonir, Thor's Hammer. i club baby seals with it :P

jk, it is a symbol that i thought was cool, so i stuck it in my sig line :)

it is Thor's Hammer though, i stole it from him :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »
You couldnt find someone a little less intimidating than Thor to steal a hammer from??    You's be in trouble now...    :)

I have RFDTV on and listening to old country songs.....

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »

WW.
I have the window open, and I'm listening to the hum of the hummingbirds' wings as they visit the feeder.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
HI OP!!!     My first thought was..  at night?  But then I remembered your an hour or two behind me.   :)   Birds and Bloom had some awsome pictures of Hummingbirds in it this month.

The coyotes just had my six howling up a storm a few mins ago.   Totally drowned out the good music on TV. 

Johnny Paycheck is the guest tonight.

WW.

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 02:11:17 AM »

As long as the ship can set sail. (roughly translated.)

The sky is innocently blue, like young children's eyes.

Summer is coming, it's a huge part of the culture here. To talk about "a Swedish summer" will likely make most people's (at least the ones that spend any time in the out of doors) eyes glaze over.
"On little shores, and little seas, live people of little sense.
The world is half as wide, where the people are half as wise."

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 12:12:38 AM »

How do you get the actual video here, the things I usually do aren't working
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:19:26 AM by Wounded Thumb »
Take it easy,
Red

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 12:26:45 AM »

How do you get the actual video here, the things I usually do aren't working

In the post reply window, there is a little youtube icon. Just click it, and paste your links between the youtube tags.

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 12:59:59 AM »
Ah, Thank you sir.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
I had heard this sometime before, but I had forgot the first time so...it was like a new one.I got a laugh out of it, anyway. Hope you do!

http://www.rtbot.net/play.php?id=Xv1tMioGgXI

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 07:49:27 AM »

same song, better video  ;)
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
Bighat, I like the song, & the second video IS better.
;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 02:32:13 AM »
The band, FREE, playing "Alright Now".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg2Nc178JIo&feature=related

The BAND, performing "The Weight".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCw3-YTffo

Just up & listening as I was surfing around.

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »

Take it easy,
Red

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:22 PM »
While looking at the threads on B&B, I tend to listen to music on my computer about 50% of the time.  I like all types of music but I have to admit that, most times, I listen to some rather loud music of the punk rock genre.

When I read, it is either quiet or I play the Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer soundtracks by Basil Poledouris.  Considering most of the books I read are Dungeon and Dragon type books, this makes sense (at least to me).

Mr. Chaos, if we weren't friends before, we are now. all that stuff ^...me too. plus metal.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
a local band (Chesapeake, VA) called Bison. fantastic american folk band

this is their popular song, called Switzerland

and this is my favorite. I'm kind of partial because I come from a family of loggers. It's called Woodcutter's Son

"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
Boys, boys, boys, "if it ain't Baroque, fix it." ;)  I LOVES me some classical music, especially Baroque.

However, I will also dabble in some of the newer 'folk' (?) music - some of which others have mentioned - and some Fleet Foxes, Sigur Ros... stuff like that.

Also, some older stuff, Gordon Lightfoot, some 80's rock, Neil Young, Johnny Cash... Some great stuff back there.

There's really only two kinds of music I can't tolerate, Country, and Western. ;) *ducking as people throw shoes and stuff*

But here's one Canadian boy who some would say is country, and this is a great song.  Wolfy, here's one for ya...

Another Canuk. (I lived in Blind River once in my life...):

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:49:55 PM by kanukkarhu »
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline SpruceBushcraft

• Mill File+
  • www.sprucebushcraft.blogspot.com
    • Spruce Bushcraft
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Rock, punk, jazz, barock (or how it's written), classical, blues, vagner (opera), folk metal, depressive black metal, power metal, blackened death metal, melodic death metal etc.
Expressing our primordial love for nature.
http://sprucebushcraft.blogspot.com

Offline SpruceBushcraft

• Mill File+
  • www.sprucebushcraft.blogspot.com
    • Spruce Bushcraft
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Right now - reminds me of falling snow
Expressing our primordial love for nature.
http://sprucebushcraft.blogspot.com

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »
My tastes are a bit ecclectic.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:03:34 PM by Wounded Thumb »
Take it easy,
Red

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
nothing ecclectic there, i have all 3 of those on my ipod

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »
I laugh every time I'm listening to my Ipod on shuffle and a sequence similar to this comes up, and the other strings of videos I've posted.

Take it easy,
Red