Author Topic: What are ya Listening to?  (Read 128624 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Re: What are ya Listening to?
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
NOW, we're talkin', Binalith :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »
my buddy John Westbrook singin 'The old woodsrunner'
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
good stuff Yeo, minus the fridge...well actually I like that too. You like Gang of Four?

I wasn't expose to them much until later; around college in the early '90s.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
'nother good 'un, Bin 8)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
I generally listen to iTunes radio:
CBC

You don't get much more Canuckified than that...lol

Used to spend hours listening to CBC radio one driving into work. Vinyl cafe was usually good for a laugh.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »
I generally listen to iTunes radio:
CBC

You don't get much more Canuckified than that...lol

Used to spend hours listening to CBC radio one driving into work. Vinyl cafe was usually good for a laugh.
I'm diggin' the CBC music app now.  I love classical, and now they have excellent Christmas music to boot!

+1 on the Vinyl Cafe, Zammer.  A good bit of ear candy, that.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »
Revisit time... Songs that have been on my mind..
;)

Ten Years After:
I'd Love To Change The World

and...
The Hollies:
He Ain't Heavy,He's My Brother

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
Alot of times i have a guitar straped on and practice/noodle around. .other times ill playlist some tunes either intrumental guitar music, jazz guitar music or  classical especially Frank Zappa/ensemble modern stuff

Jeff Beck

Claude Debussy

Frank Zappa/ensemble modern  I really like zappa's classical pieces

And finaly a zappa piece performed by the late great Michael Hedges on acoustic (i've been trying to learn this song for over 10 years and still have'nt quite got it down

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »
Last night, this:

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals covering Paint It Black at the newly refurbished Capitol Theater in
Port Chester, NY. 2/23/13

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
What are ya Listening to?
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
Last night, this:

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals covering Paint It Black at the newly refurbished Capitol Theater in
Port Chester, NY. 2/23/13

Well I'll be damned BB. We actually do have something in common...
I LOVE Grace Potter and the Nocs.
It doesn't hurt that she's hot either ;) :P

WHITE RABBITS...

GOLD DUST WOMEN W/ GOVERNMENT MULE...

I saw GM a few years ago in Missoula in an old Oprah House 8)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:56:48 PM by Bearhunter »
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Seeker

• Mill File+
  • Woods Loafer
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
I've got a pretty varied taste.  mostly, 80s hair/heavy metal.  that's working/thinking music; strap on the earbuds, tune out the coworkers, and go off to wherever.  i'm not sure why it works, but it does.  reminds me of a jack nicholson movie quote (i think that's what it is)... "I know the voices aren't real, but MAN do they ever think up some good stuff".

I grew up, culturally, in a German household, and learned to play the accordian at age 6.  took lessons through high school, and love me some german folk music.  Also picked up an appreciation for classical music as a kid.  Still like Mozart, Bach, and a few others. 

I discovered bluegrass when i attended a couple years of college in Alabama, and years later took up bluegrass guitar.  i can stumble my way through a lot of bluegrass gospel, and can play rhythm on quite a few tunes, but it takes more time than I have available to learn the lead bits, and the old folks who taught me are getting past old and moving to 'dying off'... Still love the old stuff though.

I don't like Country, but can listen to old country, like the pre-1980s stuff... Marty Robbins, Tex Ritter, Sons of the Pioneers, Willy Nelson, Porter Wagner, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, etc.

One other bit i can't explain is Mashups... i hate rap, and find little musical value in it (sorry Johnny Cash fans, but it's about the same with his stuff... talking to the music isn't singing.)  Not too keen on most Pop either.  But take a heavy metal riff, like Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" and top it with Beastie Boys' "Shake Your Rump", and you get "Pefect Rump."

Like a little Madonna with your Rammstein?  try

How about some Pink Floyd with your BeeGees? 

There are also bands whose entire "Schtick" is to mix genres...

Rock Sugar 
Metal Elvis
Electric Amish 

I'm not sure what the deal is with mashups, but i can spend hours listening to some of them.

edit:  I forgot a couple other weirdos... "Dread Zeppelin"... like Bob Marley?  How about Led Zep?  I will say no more.  YouTube it on your own.

Hayseed Dixie (ac/dc) is instrumental bluegrass AC/DC tunes.  very odd.

Kinda got a thing for female metal tribute bands too... Iron Maidens (Courtney Cox, not the movie star, plays a mean guitar), Hell's Belles, Girls Girls Girls, and a few others.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:05:30 PM by Seeker »
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
John Muir

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »
I've got a pretty varied taste.  mostly, 80s hair/heavy metal.  that's working/thinking music; strap on the earbuds, tune out the coworkers, and go off to wherever.  i'm not sure why it works, but it does.  reminds me of a jack nicholson movie quote (i think that's what it is)... "I know the voices aren't real, but MAN do they ever think up some good stuff".

I grew up, culturally, in a German household, and learned to play the accordian at age 6.  took lessons through high school, and love me some german folk music.  Also picked up an appreciation for classical music as a kid.  Still like Mozart, Bach, and a few others. 

I discovered bluegrass when i attended a couple years of college in Alabama, and years later took up bluegrass guitar.  i can stumble my way through a lot of bluegrass gospel, and can play rhythm on quite a few tunes, but it takes more time than I have available to learn the lead bits, and the old folks who taught me are getting past old and moving to 'dying off'... Still love the old stuff though.

I don't like Country, but can listen to old country, like the pre-1980s stuff... Marty Robbins, Tex Ritter, Sons of the Pioneers, Willy Nelson, Porter Wagner, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, etc.

One other bit i can't explain is Mashups... i hate rap, and find little musical value in it (sorry Johnny Cash fans, but it's about the same with his stuff... talking to the music isn't singing.)  Not too keen on most Pop either.  But take a heavy metal riff, like Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" and top it with Beastie Boys' "Shake Your Rump", and you get "Pefect Rump."

Rock Sugar 
Metal Elvis
Electric Amish 

I'm not sure what the deal is with mashups, but i can spend hours listening to some of them.

Hahaha ! I was in a band in 91 and we did the entire dark side of the moon album in a regae/ska style and we really got the folks dancin. .The one bar owner increased our "beer ryder" from 24 beers to 48 for a 5 piece band and only 3 of us drank   :drool:  :cheers: :crazy:  :banana: :puke:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »

Rock Sugar 
Metal Elvis
Electric Amish 

Hahaha ! I was in a band in 91 and we did the entire dark side of the moon album in a regae/ska style and we really got the folks dancin. .The one bar owner increased our "beer ryder" from 24 beers to 48 for a 5 piece band and only 3 of us drank   :drool:  :cheers: :crazy:  :banana: :puke:
:eek: BLASPHEMY!!!
Floyd is one of top 2 all time bands...
I saw them live in Birmingham Alabama,  Legion Field, May 1, 1994 8)

The other is...

I've seen these guys 3 times...

The Gorge...
http://www.gorgeamphitheatre.net/gorge-amphitheatre/

Red Rocks...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rocks_Amphitheatre

And Reno,NV

THEY ARE MUSICAL GENIUSES... A spiritual entity on stage some might say 8) :hail:

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »

Rock Sugar 
Metal Elvis
Electric Amish 

:eek: BLASPHEMY!!!
Floyd is one of top 2 all time bands...
I saw them live in Birmingham Alabama,  Legion Field, May 1, 1994 8)

The other is...

I've seen these guys 3 times...

The Gorge...
http://www.gorgeamphitheatre.net/gorge-amphitheatre/

Red Rocks...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rocks_Amphitheatre

And Reno,NV

THEY ARE MUSICAL GENIUSES... A spiritual entity on stage some might say 8) :hail:

I was young and dumb and 'only in it for the money' and the beer and the chicks you are right it is/was blasephamy . .I also was in another "low pressure beer joint" band that played some lynerd skynerd and even a couple of allman brothers tunes (well we tried anyways) ramblin man and jessica among other asorted rockin blues numbers and then there was the band that..Um...never mind, like i said i was young and dumb and also starving. .The one thing i NEVER did though was get a "flock of seaguls hairdo" :lol:   

edit: forgot to mention that im a huge fan of Tool, any band that plays with diferent time signatures like Tool and floyd ("TIME" is in 6/8 and 4/4  is great in my book

EDIT: Mistake, its the song "money" thats got the time sig change and its 7/8 to 4/4  , was going off memmory  and i was confusing it with 'allmans bros' whipping post' that we never 'gigged' but jammed , its in 6/8
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:55:25 PM by BUSHYBEARD »

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
To the sound of my teapot telling me its ready,but when woring in the shop I have the radio going but most times I am just in the zone focused and never hear it till I leave. Weird huh
Making one of a kind tools, one at a time -shane

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »
Well with the warm weather here in Florida my mind is wandering to the sea and I wish I was out sailing.

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
Here is another. I cant post more than one video per post for some reason, weird.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Last one for today.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »

Good ones greyhound352!
:thumbsup:

I am thinking about Spring.

Listening to:

Pretty cool nature scenes...
 :)

Yup.. I am one strange man...and I know it...LOL ;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »

Just sharing some tunes...mixed lot, but worth the watch & listening...As far as I am concerned....
;)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2013, 01:56:45 AM »
This might bring back some of your old stoner hippies memories...

:lol: 8)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2013, 02:16:12 AM »
Alright fellows... Lets have some fun 8)
If you've never heard this, crank it UP and have a good time :D

Enjoy...

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »
Nobody cares... it... I'm out...

8)

Lets get serious...

GO... :devil:

For anyone that has ever loved and is honest...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:40:03 AM by Bearhunter »

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2013, 02:54:40 AM »
Bringing it down...

:P

It's called ART IN MOTIONS...

8)

I've been up and down and in and out...have seen...
places most folks don't want to be be....

40...6 & 2...
Just ahead of me :devil: ;D :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:24:14 AM by Bearhunter »

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:51 AM »

Just sharing some tunes...mixed lot, but worth the watch & listening...As far as I am concerned....
;)

I tried, but it ain't working :shrug:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2013, 03:38:11 AM »
Well I suppose it's about time to go to bed...

:rofl:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »
The hottest  'ROCK. & ROLL chick ???

Or...

I don't around

:D 8)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2013, 04:02:10 AM »
:drool:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »
Thru the years we all have our weaknesses...

Come on guys... she was hot in the 80's...

Right ???

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
Thru the years we all have our weaknesses...

Come on guys... she was hot in the 80's...

Right ???
No... she was hot in the 80's... ;)

This is what I'm listening to at the moment (just saw the movie)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
I have really enjoyed this guy music on his crossover from rock to country.

Offline Little Yellow Jacket

• Whetstone +
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
My tastes are a bit ecclectic.

What he said. ^^^
Rick

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
Me, too, I guess.

"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Mudtar

• Mill File+
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
I have always loved Doc Watson...

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Five Finger Death Punch's new album...
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »
Wife and I listened to some classic Bob Seger and Dior Straits coming across South Dakota last week. 8)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »
Wife and I listened to some classic Bob Seger and Dior Straits coming across South Dakota last week. 8)

One of the best DS tunes...  http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Man+s+Too+Strong/4YB2YZ?src=5

and http://grooveshark.com/s/Brothers+In+Arms/4YB9FO?src=5
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
Is anyone surprised? 

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
Kickin' it with Josh Garrels.   I'm listening to his recent album, Love & War & The Sea In Between.

Excellent artist!

Offline Little Yellow Jacket

• Whetstone +
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
Five Finger Death Punch's new album...

Definitely works for me.
Rick

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:58 AM »
Some good Stuff here.
I like rock from the 70-80 AC/DC, Rush , Zeppelin.
Also

Binalith, Run to the hills is my favorite Iron Maiden song.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:39:19 AM by lgm »
What a great day to be outside.