Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 1854 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Rabbits
« on: May 12, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »
I thought I'd share one of the litters I have at the moment.  This is a Rex mom with her six babes.  The tan one is a bit camera shy back there.  :)

And this one is just too adorable not to share.  I captioned  " Did she remember the apples?"

At this moment there are 18 babies between three does.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
Cute, Marcia!  Can I play show 'n' tell, too?

Born May 10th. California buck to a  Black Satin doe.  5 kits, 1 black, 4 white.

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »
Hi OP!  Your sure may.  aww...  love it when they look like tiny hippo's at that stage. :)  And then they pop like popcorn when you touch them.   Meat rabbit for you too?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »
Here are 4 week old California/NZ cross kits.  There should be five in the box.  I love that smudge on their noses. 

WW

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »
And here is a NZ doe I purchased already bred.  I'm not sure on what the buck was..but those grey bunnies are HUNKS compared to the whites in there.  Solid kits.   7 in that litter.

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »
So, are you eating any of them yet, WW? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
Not yet... most are in the 2 lb range yet.  The oldest at 5 weeks are Rex and are of a smaller meat category.  Those they say to get to about 10 weeks and as close to 5 lbs as possible for processing.  The others are all younger. 

I've put a doe down and she tasted very well. :)  Slow cooked in gravy.

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »
You're REAL close to enjoying a 'fryer' :drool:

http://www.gordonrabbitry.com/fried-rabbit.html
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
I started out with Flemish Giants, and Cal. Giants, thinking bigger was better for meat rabbit.
I've since changed my mind.  We butcher at about 4-5 months, and even the medium breeds weigh in at about 4.5# dressed.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
I've been learning about the bigger breeds needing more time to put meat on.  Seems the bones are bigger and the rabbit catches up with the meat factor later.   

So far its been NZ whites and California crosses that are the preferred meat makers.  I can see it in my mixes here.  This cross is huskier than the Rex cross.   

I delivered a California/ Lop mix buck to a friend from another friend a few days ago. It looked like a big rabbit but it sure was bony at a year old. 

Whats your favorite way to cook them up , OP?

Wolfy... it wont be long now.  I'm working on weaning the first born to a grow out cage.

WW.