Author Topic: FUR TRADE HISTORY  (Read 5572 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
FUR TRADE HISTORY
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:54:27 AM »
It's no secret that I am a BIG fan of history, and especially the history of the early fur trade.  It served as the catalyst for early exploration and trade on the ever-expanding North American frontier.  Our entire economy was based on trade in fur for a surprisingly long period of time.  Wars were waged over it.  This PDF contains maps, pictures, and information on the archaeological evidence of the tools and artifacts that were uncovered at Voyageurs National Park on the border between the United States and Canada.  I hope some of you find it interesting and informative.

http://www.nps.gov/mwac/publications/pdf/tech84.pdf

:canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Re: FUR TRADE HISTORY
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »
Nice reference. I have been reading Manual Lisa and the opening of the Missouri fur trade. By Richard e oglesby as we speak. I am putting this on my reading list. Thank you
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
You're welcome!  That's a very good book about a very shrewd and influential individual......an early investor in Nebraska (Fort Lisa near Omaha) and a friend to the native Americans in my area, the Omaha & Ponca. :thumbsup:

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
Great find.   :thumbsup:  Still reading though it but thanks for sharing.  You know I dig this stuff as well.   :lol: 

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
"Damm Manuel, Lewis exploded. " And triply Damm Mr. B [ Francis Benoit ] They give me more vexation and trouble than their lives or worth" Undaunted Courage Stephen E Ambrose page 134. I have read this book four or five times now and this is what go me interested in Lisa. The first fur traders were very brave. The history of the early fur traders is fascinating.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
Good post and link Wolfy.

The period of time from the HBC efforts in Canada and the Northwest part of what would become the United States to the opening of Oregon was an interesting time.  When I first became interested in this period of the fur trade my focus was on the Rendezvous period.  A favorite book was Osborne Russell's Journal of a Mountain Man.

Fur company leaders like Kenneth McKenzie who built Fort Union and worked for John Jacob Astor, Gabriel Franchere, and others like Ramsay Crooks are the people who created the American fur Company empire in the early part of the fur trade in the Northwest.  Historian LeRoy Hafen edited the epic ten volume set "Mountain Men and the Fur Trade of the Far West" and it remains the foundation book for understanding the workings of the fur trade.  Hafen used works by prominent historians to compile the history and it is well worth reading.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:50:56 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dude McLean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »

Hafen is always a great choice, have many of his books
I have been where the hand of man has never set foot.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
I especially enjoyed his book on Tom 'Broken Hand' Fitzpatrick......on e of the very first books on the mountain men that I ever bought. >:D

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:33:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link!
:thumbsup:

A lot to read & look over!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
Very cool...thanks for posting.

It's too bad the academia is so austere and dry.......LOL 

A favorite Rendezvous site at the Villa Louis grounds, is also a former trading post and fort Crawford.
Our Museum Director did a radar mapping and dig on the site.
Some history.
  http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Content.aspx?dsNav=N:4294963828-4294963805&dsRecordDetailS=R:CS2716
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »
Do you go to the rendezvous up there at Prairie du Chien? ???     I always wanted to go to it, but farming got in the way, in both Spring & Fall. >:(

Now that I've got that out of the way, we just might make that trip happen! :banana:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
When we lived on Canada, i bought a copy of "A Company of Adventurers" which is the story of The Hudson's Bay Company. Absolutely facinating and highly rccomended.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »
Attended that Rondy for over 25 straight years, then a job/vac loss, as well as the group that attended with us has been decimated.

Last one we attended was in 1999.

Still is a big one that had moved from the front lawn of Villa Louis Mansion to about 10 city blocks across the street.

Last one we were at had 700 lodges....and many of the venders attended in person....Jas Townsend, Dyer (of Dyer Moc.), Crazy Crow, many gun smiths, and traders of all sorts.

That was our big "get supplies" event just as was done in the 1820's....
Some say the ground is haunted, and I have seen/heard some strange sights.....but maybe it was the stuff in the jugs....LOL

...and Yeah, farming on Father's Day is about first crop of hay cutting....... 
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
I just looked up the dates for this year's Annual Prairie Villa Rendezvous, the 40th anniversary of the doin's....June 18-21.  I just might be able to swing it......I need more 'stuff.'  :P

HOLY COW!   :shocked:  That was my 13,000th POST!  :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
Yeah but most of them are Wolfy approved.

Let's see, 13,000 times an average of say 10 minutes when you include reading the thread and thinking of what to say........ looks like you have spent about 90 days on this forum.  Three months of your life.   :-*

You're only about 1300 or so behind OP.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »
I just looked up the dates for this year's Annual Prairie Villa Rendezvous, the 40th anniversary of the doin's....June 18-21.  I just might be able to swing it......I need more 'stuff.'  :P

HOLY COW!   :shocked:  That was my 13,000th POST!  :banana:

If you decide to go...PM me...we most likely will be at "The Place" our cabin about 30 miles away....we have been "day tripping" it, ...so may be we can stop and see your camp....
Or you can make a side trip to "The Place".

We found our location for "The Place" while traveling through the area every year.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
13,000 posts? Congrats!  I recon you farm by moonlight, eh?
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »
I just retired, Max.....I'm officially a full-time B&B BLABBERMOUTH, now!  :rolleyes: :lol:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 04:07:35 AM »
Well, congrats on your retirement! I have about 18 months till I pull the plug.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 04:28:49 AM »
Thank you.....I'm enjoying it!   :banana:

I looked on eBay and found a paperback copy of A COMPANY OF ADVENTURERS.  Thanks for the tip....I've never read it, but will be able to soon. ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 08:20:32 AM »
I've been searching for some new reading too. Lots of good suggestions. A very interesting time in our history. If one had the stones to endure that period, I could just imagine the adventures they would have seen. I've read lots of material on Lewis & Clark and the HBC. Always fascinating.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
Lots of good archived voyageur-era canoe-related material in this blog site.....

http://paddlemaking.blogspot.com/2009/07/frances-anne-hopkins-paddles.html

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »
Lots of good archived voyageur-era canoe-related material in this blog site.....

http://paddlemaking.blogspot.com/2009/07/frances-anne-hopkins-paddles.html

LOL  I seem to have seen this somewhere else...  deja vu?
;)

The link still reminds me to finish my paddle making video soon. Thanks!
;)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »
Just a quick entry to let MaxEntropy know that my Bison Books (NEBRASKA publisher 8)) paperback edition of THE COMPANY OF ADVENTURERS came from an EBay seller this morning.  A very nice copy that MAYBE got read once for a whole $4.  I've been reading 'snippets' out of it for the last hour or so and it looks like it's going to be very interesting and educational.  Since I've always been interested in 'The Great Buffalo Slaughter' on this side of the border, I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about the Canadian counterpart from the journals of one who was there and involved in it at that same period of time.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Max! :thumbsup:

Offline SamD

• Mill File+
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the links Wolfy.

I plan on hitting the 2016 Alafia River Rendezvous again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:56:43 AM by SamD »
U.S. Army Paratrooper, DAV (life member), American Legion (life member), NMLRA (1 of 1000 member) & (life Member), NRA (life member)
"BY THE RUDE BRIDGE THAT ARCHED THE FLOOD. THEIR FLAG TO APRILS BREEZE UNFURLED. HERE ONCE THE EMBATTLED FARMERS STOOD. AND FIRED THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »
I ran onto this article on early pictorial maps.....this one showing the distribution of commercially valuable fur bearing animals throughout the world, and the North American Continent, especially.  A pretty well written article accompanies the picture of the map.....worth a quick read. :coffee:

_2019)&mc_cid=5cdae97d70&mc_eid=537596707d" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/fur-fashion-map?utm_source=Atlas+Obscura+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5cdae97d70-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f36db9c480-5cdae97d70-69712057&ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_1_23 _2019)&mc_cid=5cdae97d70&mc_eid=537596707d

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »
I have a Korean war era (1951) wolf fur ruff hood for a cold weather coat.  I recall they only used wolf for a short time and then went to coyote. 

while I knew a little about fur and fashion I didn't know about stuffed mice and other nonsense being used on coats.

Nice to know that skunk is skunk in french.
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
I always thought skunk in French was Pepe Le Pew.  Shows what I get for watching too many cartoons as a kid I reckon.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.