Author Topic: 2 Meter ham radio article.  (Read 1596 times)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
2 Meter ham radio article.
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »
Found this page with a wealth of info on 2meter ham radio operations and protocols. This electronic radio communications does require a license from the FCC and is good for 10 years before renewal. The standard technician test isn't that hard and there is no longer a morse code requirement, this really bugs some of the older hams.

here is the link.  https://www.amrron.com/2015/05/17/comms-101-2m-vhf/
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: 2 Meter ham radio article.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
2 meters is great. I can hit repeaters in a lot of places my cell phone doesn't stand a chance. It really is a good option for communications when out in the sticks.

A little Baofeng radio can be had for about $35, and the test for a few more.

Plus, if you get one of the ARRL study guides for the technician exam instead of just memorizing answers, you will come away with a better understanding of electronics than the vast majority of people. It opens up a whole new world when you finally begin to understand why your cell phone works some places and not others... :D

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
You lazy kids when I did it back in the day you had to do 5 WPM to even get basic which did not give you crap.  :rofl: :taunt:   

I really don't care for the matter of fact I was able to upgrade to General since the code crap is gone.  Pretty antiquated way of sending messages.  The only good point the pro code guys make is the ability to read it even in sketchy conditions.

Our area offers two ways to do it.  We have the typical ham in a day where you memorize answers and in two weeks you get a license that you don't know how to use.  The second is they offer a Ham 101 class where you get lots of good training and end up knowing why the answers are correct. 

I do the Skywarn thing and Search and Rescue.  Both things that ham radio was the door for me getting into. 

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
Back in 'the day' I had to learn to send and receive Morse code at 5wpm to earn my First Class rank in Boy Scouts.  That was the major hurdle on the road to becoming an Eagle Scout and the main reason there weren't more of us back then.  I think they have to know how to TEXT 5wpm these days. :shrug: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »
Now I think they have to make a HF contact on Ham radio so whenever there is a field day you get a dozen or so show up wanting to talk on the radio. 

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
  • I enoy knot tying, especially net making
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
I learned the code at 13 WPM to get my General and Advanced glass license.  Haven't used it since. 
Here are a couple of code related links for those of you who learned the code and also for those who never learned it.

Morse code vs testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t7OYuV2YXM
Beethoven Morse Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0HrbCbfwlg