Author Topic: Got Me Some "Roughout Boots"..  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
Got Me Some "Roughout Boots"..
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »

Okay so I am pretty much set on collecting much old school and tradition gear as I can.I got into it a fair bit with lots of really good second hand finds locally.A frame canvas pack,wool pants old army shirts...Yes it is all a bit geekie..:_capelli:

But the one thing I had no luck with is boots or footwear.Modern footwear just felt totally out of place when using that style of old school gear.I looked high and low for some british ammo boots or similar bit of of footwear with no luck.Either size and price were always off..

So ended up getting these GI roughout boots  of ebay for a bit over a $100.I have to say they not very hi tec but are doing a pretty good job.

Roughout boots had a short history with the US military in WW2.The boots where always waxed with dubbing as a defense against gas attack.These are reproduction made by mil-tec but look close to the original design to me..

Of course I had to do the ubiquitous You Tube vid on the subject..

[video=youtube;yx3M3WmRZbM][/video]

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Got Me Some "Roughout Boots"..
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
Good video HD. I like the looks of your vintage kit. Comfortable and durable foot wear is a hard combination to find. Usually not cheap either. Appreciate you posting.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
Good vid, liked the killer ant shot...lol... :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline brush_loper

• Mill File+
    • Brushloper Bushcraft
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »
Now that is a practical boot!

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 03:58:35 AM »
Good video HD. I like the looks of your vintage kit. Comfortable and durable foot wear is a hard combination to find. Usually not cheap either. Appreciate you posting.

Creek

Thanks Creek I do the local markets as well as gum tree and eBay.I base it round what folk going bush round 1947 to 55 in this part of Australia would of used.

Good vid, liked the killer ant shot...lol... :cheers:

Thanks mate,like your profile pic ... !

There are only $130 odd so not really high end footwear..I get a year or two out of the I recon.I my look at a better long term boot next,but not sure what.Gear is so hard to get over here,red wings look good ...

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:01:15 AM »
Now that is a practical boot!

They are only $130 odd so not really high end footwear..I will get a year or two out of the I recon.I my look at a better long term boot next,but not sure what.?Gear is so hard to get over here,red wings look good ...  ;)