Author Topic: Condor Primitive Bush Knife  (Read 15844 times)

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
Condor Primitive Bush Knife
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »
My wife got me this blade for Father's Day.  I have one their Jungle Bowies and like it (i'm not a stainless fan, but their 420HC isn't too bad..).  Condor is legendary for QC issues, sometimes you get something great and sometimes not.  If you are going to buy a Condor, I highly recommend Baronyx Knives (you can get a hand picked one for a couple of extra bucks).  So here are a couple of pics:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Condor Primitive Bush Knife
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
Interesting looking knife.  What would you use the hole to do?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »

Lol - it makes experienced bushlore folks ask questions?  I have no idea, but it shouldn't affect the section modulus strength I guess...  A member here said that this blade is Matt Graham's mods to a Jungle Bowie...

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:32:22 PM »
Congrats! Looks like fun.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »
Congrats! Looks like fun.

Thanks PW - Its pretty and feels good.  I haven't taken it out for a beating yet, but I will.  I think the folks at Baronyx finish the edges too, its stupid sharp....

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Looks full tang? Might be fun to throw! :) I was wondering about the bushcraft hole too....

Creek

Axes Rock!

Offline Woodscrafter

• Mill File+
  • ^^ This name is trademarked haha
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:44 AM »
I actually like that knife. I think Matt did a good job thinking it through.
Kinda reminds me of a big old hudson bay knife.
The hole could probably be used for sighting a signal flash, if you polished one side of the knife. I dunno.
I especially like that belt tuck sheath. No loop, just tuck it in your belt until the flap catches.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:37 AM »
Congrats on being a Dad! A good woman is worth her weight in blades. ( a little trivia on why stick tangs are so prominent in Scandinavia)

Am I wrong?  Looking at the JB it is hard to see how to modify one to this shape.  Probably just a misunderstanding on my part. The correct version could be: Graham used a modified JB, and Condor said- hey wanna design a knife? Or I did not look closely enough.

I definitely like the sheath, looks better than I thought, which is a big plus. Too many sheaths are cheap shipping containers.
 Probably if I just used the knife I would like it more. For now it just doesn't quite speak my dialect. I'd rather see a straight forward leaf shape, basically ' cause I know nothing. Like so many other  things I want to see, hold, dicker before I can buy. I just haven't felt the urge to overcome that with this, even though Matt is the most charismatic survival dude yet discovered. Chicks are charmed, dudes instantly  bromanced out the wazoo with this guy. CIA/Google operative, right?

Of course the Vine Ascending Knockout can only be a real plus ...if you have the toe strength.

A question Bro, is the swedge sharp enough to be considered "double edged" by persistent LEO; is it shouldered on one side or both?
PS. Story to ventilate some attempted humor. It is not directed at you or the gifting, nor your family. I might explain further but could be even more silly.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »
My wife got me this blade for Father's Day.  I have one their Jungle Bowies and like it (i'm not a stainless fan, but their 420HC isn't too bad..).  Condor is legendary for QC issues, sometimes you get something great and sometimes not.  If you are going to buy a Condor, I highly recommend Baronyx Knives (you can get a hand picked one for a couple of extra bucks).  So here are a couple of pics:

Congrats all the way around,  I'm not a big knife type of guy,  some traditionals are nice to look at,  most tacticals turn me off,  but I think I'd like to give this one a try,  I'm hoping you can give us a follow up field review.

Thanks for sharing your fathers day gift with us.     :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:25:08 AM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline MrFixIt

• Whetstone +
  • Old Jarhead
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »

The hole is a trademark. "The Eye of the Condor" as it is called in their catalog. Several of their knives and machetes feature it.
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket baby, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride!"

Offline MrFixIt

• Whetstone +
  • Old Jarhead
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »

Lol - it makes experienced bushlore folks ask questions?  I have no idea, but it shouldn't affect the section modulus strength I guess...  A member here said that this blade is Matt Graham's mods to a Jungle Bowie...

Matt Graham's knife was indeed a Jungle Bowie that he (or had someone else) modded.
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket baby, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride!"

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
I will post up a field review when I get a few minutes.  Moe - if you want to check it out, shoot me a pm, I'll send it out once I have had a chance to play with it...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
I will post up a field review when I get a few minutes.  Moe - if you want to check it out, shoot me a pm, I'll send it out once I have had a chance to play with it...

Thanks my friend,  but if it's a gift from your wife,  you're better off not passing it around,  for your own safety,  women are funny that way.      ;D
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
  The hole is a traditional feature of old butcher knives, especially cleavers. They were hung by the blade from the ceiling or wall, handle down....from an S hook or a meat hook.
   Probably it's some sort of homage to those old knives, as an aesthetic throwback.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline Lamewolf

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »
What I don't understand about this knife (which looks like a good design to me) is that they call it "primitive" and then make it out of stainless steel ?
Lamewolf
Manu Forti

Offline dac

• Mill File
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:44 PM »
What I don't understand about this knife (which looks like a good design to me) is that they call it "primitive" and then make it out of stainless steel ?

Watched in interview with Joe Flowers from shot show I think, from what he said the only reason it is stainless is because that is how Matt specified it should be.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »

Thanks my friend,  but if it's a gift from your wife,  you're better off not passing it around,  for your own safety,  women are funny that way.      ;D

Lol.  Standing offer brother....
  The hole is a traditional feature of old butcher knives, especially cleavers. They were hung by the blade from the ceiling or wall, handle down....from an S hook or a meat hook.
   Probably it's some sort of homage to those old knives, as an aesthetic throwback.

Interesting.  I didn'
t think of that.

Watched in interview with Joe Flowers from shot show I think, from what he said the only reason it is stainless is because that is how Matt specified it should be.

I respect that, but I'd buy three of these if they were O-1 lol...  The F & F of this particular blade is good, 420HC isn't terrible in my experience as stainless goes, but I'm right with Lamewolf.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
Nice gift! I'd be interested in a review and/or updates after you get to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 05:02:53 AM »
Nice gift! I'd be interested in a review and/or updates after you get to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to get to a little of that today...  I will say that it is sharper, out of the box, than any custom knife I've ever owned.  I think that Baronyx finishes the edges on the hand selected blades, but it is stupid sharp...

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
kinda like  an improved CS Bushman

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 07:47:41 PM »
kinda like  an improved CS Bushman

Yep, and hand friendly too.  I like this one..

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
Just wonder if you have had a chance to use this blade anymore? I'm interested in one and was curious how well performed. Thanks for your time.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
Just wonder if you have had a chance to use this blade anymore? I'm interested in one and was curious how well performed. Thanks for your time.

SH - As a matter fact I was used it yesterday.  I really, really like it.  If you are OK with stainless steel, it's a great knife IMHO...  I strongly recommend that you buy from Baronyx Knives and spend the extra couple bucks for a hand selected one.  Condor is not noted for its QC...

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »
I went to their site but are out of stock. So I went through Amazon. I've not used a stainless chopper but I really like the design and have a Condor Golok that I really like. Thanks for the help and your post

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
I went to their site but are out of stock. So I went through Amazon. I've not used a stainless chopper but I really like the design and have a Condor Golok that I really like. Thanks for the help and your post

You are welcome.  I hope you like the blade!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »
Received my knife yesterday and it had no problems. The scales matched fine and the grind looks great. It was pretty sharp but a little attention made it shave. Hoping to get out tomorrow if our monsoons will hold off.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
 The leaf blade is a cool shape, W. Fairbarin thought so. I've never held a Smatchet but the silhouette looks similar. 

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:55:45 PM by Unknown »
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »
Received my knife yesterday and it had no problems. The scales matched fine and the grind looks great. It was pretty sharp but a little attention made it shave. Hoping to get out tomorrow if our monsoons will hold off.

Great.  How do you like the sheath?  Mine is beautiful and functional...  Can't wait to hear your opinions after you get to beat it.

The leaf blade is a cool shape, W. Fairbarin though so. I've never held a Smatchet but the silhouette looks similar. 

Yeah - I can see that...

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
The sheath is really nice. I believe that the tuck in belt style I will like. I don't like wearing bigger knives so being able to tuck and use it while doing a task and putting it back in a pack appeals to me.

Offline Sean_from_Vt

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 03:22:43 AM »
I received an email that SMKW has these knives on sale for $60. I just thought I'd pass that along if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
The hole is called the Eye Of The Condor.  Decorative purposes only (at least by design) and trademark of Condor
OINK!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
Wow, a real Orc Cleaver.  I have an Ontario 12" machete that I bought years ago.  I wonder if they are still legal in Texas.  Texas, my Texas...where switchblade knives and AR-15s with 30rd Clips are legal but Tomahawks are not.  Somebody's GGGG Grandmother must have been scared by Comanches.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
Ol' Quanah's ghost casts a pretty long shadow down there, huh, Quench? ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
They are actually selling this blade in carbon steel now (probably due to our influence!):

http://www.condortk.com/productos-detalle.php?producto=86&cat=71

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »
Wolfy, Quanah Parker or his  wife are somehow related to the reverend Noah Turner Byars, the inspiration for my HI work at Washington Town.  He was an Indian Agent and Missionary for a while. I am trying to get more info from one of his decendants.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:35:46 PM by Quenchcrack »
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 08:00:30 PM »
I did not know that......THANKS, QC!     Interestingly, I just heard Cynthia Anne and Quanah mentioned in a lecture on the native Americans and the Homestead Act  that I attended in Sioux City yesterday afternoon.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 08:19:04 AM »
I think this is the last photo of the Rev. Noah Turner Byars.  He's the one with the whiskers:

-John Denver

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »
The only drop of Native American blood i have in me is from Quannah :)
OINK!

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:28 AM »

I got a chance to play with one of these, and several other Condor products, a couple of weeks ago, while visiting Joe Flowers at his home.  I liked it a lot.  Easy in the hand, chops well, and showed no bad traits.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:27 AM »

I got a chance to play with one of these, and several other Condor products, a couple of weeks ago, while visiting Joe Flowers at his home.  I liked it a lot.  Easy in the hand, chops well, and showed no bad traits.

That's my read too....  I would also add that mine came with a very nice edge.  Two of my scout patrols used it during completion with no damage, so I'm impressed.   As an aside, one of my patrols used the condor Thai Enep, which didn't hold up well at all, damage to both the blade and spine....