Author Topic: Monitor Problems  (Read 12237 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Monitor Problems
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:20:04 PM »
Ok.. I'll go first in here...

My monitor has started this quirk of going blank when I try to use some games or programs.   The light by the button doesnt go off..but I can hear the monitor doing a cool down type crackling inside. The screen goes black.   

I will shut the monitor off using the button.  The green light goes orange and fades to black.  Then I can really hear the crackling in the back.  Like static.    I sometimes only need to press once to get it on.. sometimes up to 8 times.   The light however will come on to green.. but just no action on the screen.

Is my monitor shot?   Its just odd that its when its a program or game that seems to use another venue to come on.  Games that came with the computer are ok to use.    Camera, Paint shop pro, are ok. 

I've defragged.  Even tho it says it doesnt need too.

Dell computer.  XP.  umm..what else do I need to tell on the operating system?

I'm really confused on whats causing this.   

Ask me questions so I can help describe this oddity.

Thanks

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Re: Monitor Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »
Hard to  say it might be the monitor but I know for me first thing I would do if  you have access to another computer I would try it on that if it does the same thing  it could be the monitor.   What style monitor is it a tube or  an LCD? also if tube  how old is it? I have had monitors go  just like that before
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
Its a big ol' heavy monitor.   About 10 years old.    And nope.. no extra puter to plug it too.. :(

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
I had an issue like that when I was trying to run programs that used a higher resolution than my monitor was capable of performing.

Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
Two things to check: One, right click on your desktop area and choose "Properties".
Then click on the "Settings" tap.

Looking at "Screen Resolution", what does it say there?

Also, if you are using an ancient CRT (cathode ray tube...AKA big ol' heavy tv-looking monitor thingy), it may be shot.  Does it ever give off a smell?  Like something burning or kinda like the ionization you get with a lightning storm?  If so, chunk it and get another one.  Should be able to find a LCD flat-panel on craigslist for about 35 bucks.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
Two things to check: One, right click on your desktop area and choose "Properties".
Then click on the "Settings" tap.

Looking at "Screen Resolution", what does it say there?

Also, if you are using an ancient CRT (cathode ray tube...AKA big ol' heavy tv-looking monitor thingy), it may be shot.  Does it ever give off a smell?  Like something burning or kinda like the ionization you get with a lightning storm?  If so, chunk it and get another one.  Should be able to find a LCD flat-panel on craigslist for about 35 bucks.

Agreed on all points. You might try a thrift store as well. Decent LCD monitors are easy to find cheap nowadays and they will be a huge improvement over a crt display. And, you'll save a lot of desk space too.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
You said the games that came with the Dell are working. Probably not a dying monitor.
Did you get these other games on disk, or download them?
Do you know if you are running graphics off your motherboard (built in), or off a graphics card?
The monitor is 10 years old....how old is the Dell, and can you tell me what model?

There are all sorts of issues that could be in play here, including trying to run newer games on older hardware.

I'm running a 5 year old Dell, with a door-stop graphics card, so maybe I have an answer for you.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
Yes..theres a hot dust smell thats been happening. 

Ok.. this monitor and puter came together from DELL ..oh gosh..its got to be 10 years now. 

1024 x 768  screen resolution

Yes..most all programs that blank out are CD loaded in.   Not downloaded from internet. Nothing new in the last two years.   Some are ok.. camera, paint shop pro are the two I use often and they are not doing this.  But.. they are taking more and more time to kick in after being clicked on.   The wait is longer.

OP.. I'm not sure about the graphics card thing.  BUT when looking for screen resolution it says this..
   Plug and Play Monitor on intel (R)82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Where do I find model #?

WW.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
WW get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the case on the monitor.  I would open the case on the puter cabinet and blow that out too.  You will be surprsied what will accumulate. You have like 1/2 dzn dogs in the house and the shed will find its way in there too.All that build up will increase the heat load and that will cause the electronics to burnout and dust particles  will cause things to short. A couple of dollars for a can of air might just fix the problem.   
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »
Smokewalker.  I know of what you speak.  I blow out the computer box once a month.  I do not blow out the monitor tho.   Does it open up like the puter box does?    Is it too late now that the build up inside may have already done its damage with heat retention?

I have a tank we fill up in the barn off the big air compressor and use it here in the house to blow the box out with.  3 gallon ? tank? 

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
Smokewalker.  I know of what you speak.  I blow out the computer box once a month.  I do not blow out the monitor tho.   Does it open up like the puter box does?    Is it too late now that the build up inside may have already done its damage with heat retention?

I have a tank we fill up in the barn off the big air compressor and use it here in the house to blow the box out with.  3 gallon ? tank? 

WW.
Two things:
You can still help your monitor by blowing out the external air vents all over the monitor, especially on top. Don't ever stack notes, or paper on top of the monitor. I made that mistake!

CAUTION: When blowing out your computer, be careful not to blow the fan vanes and cause it to spin. This is especially important with the fan on top of your processor (on the motherboard), which you probably don't have. Spinning the fan motor backward with compressed air can burn the motor out so you loose all your cooling.

Just what you told me about the graphics controller tells me it's integrated into the motherboard, or "on board" in tech lingo.

If you have the cd's original boxes, it should tell you the minimum system requirements for the program. If you don't, accessing the CD through Windows Explorer may help you find a .txt or .hlp file on the CD that will tell you the requirements to run the program.

If you feel like it, do this:
Go Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.
It should bring up System Summary by default. Can you tell me:
System Model
Total Physical Memory
Available Virtual Memory

Close all this out, and go Start > Control Panel > System. On the General Tab can you tell me what it says under Computer, down at the bottom of that tab?

If you tell me the exact name of the programs giving you trouble, and the version, perhaps I can check compatibility issues, and/or work-arounds to get them running.

Last question.... Have they EVER worked on your computer, but now won't? If they worked when installed, and now won't, disregard all of the above. We have another problem.

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
I'll go looking..but first. The programs come on..  I can hear them come on through the speakers.  Its just the monitor goes black with out really shutting off the monitor.   So I press the button in to shut monitor off.. wait a few mins to let the static noise calm down and press the button in again as many times as it takes.  The program is there waiting for me to continue to play.  I can play hours on it..  then to shut the game down.. I again have to go through the black screen/press button ect.  The desktop will be there like its supposed to be when the color comes back to the screen.   

So I'm not loosing the games or programs..  its just that millesecond of clicking on it or closing it that the screen blanks out. 

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Shoot.. I forgot to ask.   Will a LCD? monitor plug into this older Dell?    OR is that why your needing the model number?

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Shoot.. I forgot to ask.   Will a LCD? monitor plug into this older Dell?    OR is that why your needing the model number?

WW.
So have they behaved this way since you first tried to use them?
Having the model number of your computer will tell me what connections you have, and what kind of monitor you could use.

Couple more pertinent questions:
I think you said you have defragged the drive recently, right?
Have you ever run a Registry clean-up program on it?  If not, there are going to be a lot of cobwebs in the Registry after 10 years, and that is the Brain of Windows. It tells it what programs are related to what functions. It gets really confused after a lot of inattention.
Have you ever run any other maintenance programs, and if so, which ones?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »
OK.

System model =  Dimension 2400

Total system memory -  1,280,00 MB

available virtual memory    1.97 GB   ( I remember getting a blip not to long ago saying virtual memory is low and it was adjusting for it..then it was gone)

Computer:

Intel (R)
Celeron (R) CPU 2.40 GHz
2.39 Ghz
1.25 GB of Ram

Whew.. and I didnt break nuttin while in the guts of it...   :) :)

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
WW, one more thing: When you are in System Info, go down to Components, expand that and click on Display. If you could tell me what the Adapter RAM says, it would help.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
OK.

System model =  Dimension 2400

Total system memory -  1,280,00 MB

available virtual memory    1.97 GB   ( I remember getting a blip not to long ago saying virtual memory is low and it was adjusting for it..then it was gone)

Computer:

Intel (R)
Celeron (R) CPU 2.40 GHz
2.39 Ghz
1.25 GB of Ram

Whew.. and I didnt break nuttin while in the guts of it...   :) :)

WW.
You have a very capable system. That last thing "Adapter RAM" will be interesting to see.

Now, what programs are acting up as you describe?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
Couple more pertinent questions:

I think you said you have defragged the drive recently, right?

Yes about two weeks ago.

Have you ever run a Registry clean-up program on it?  If not, there are going to be a lot of cobwebs in the Registry after 10 years, and that is the Brain of Windows. It tells it what programs are related to what functions. It gets really confused after a lot of inattention.
No. I've not run that one.  It may have been run by someone else when I brought it to him about three or four years ago.  He was putting in an anti virus and I remember him asking me if I have. I said no then too.  I'm afraid to monkey with anything back there in case its goign to ask for a download of some kind. I cannot download very well on this phone line.

Have you ever run any other maintenance programs, and if so, which ones

I"m not sure on what your asking so I'm going to say no.  THe only thing I click on is the defrag , and it comes up telling me its not needed at this time.  Two weeks ago I had it do so anyway , just in case it was lieing to me.  :)  This is about when the monitor started doing this.  No improvement.

Adapter RAM   64.00 MB  ( 67,108,864 bytes)

WW

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »
Mostly games.  I like to play a game or two when waiting for meals to cook.

Hoyle games is one
Scrabble
Monopoly
Risk (came with monopoly)
Reel Deel type slot games 

Mystery files games.. both

gosh I cant think of all the ones I've been clicking on to see if they will come in with out this problem.  Then I found out the games that came with puter in accessories come in just fine.   And they are BORING.. lol

We dont have big games that need joysticks or are big vids.  THey just wont load in.   Jr says our vid card isnt big enough.    Hubby would play those kind of games.  Now he's not on this puter at all because of no games to play.

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
And McAfee...   Since it was put in I cannot do any downloads with it.   So it likes to pop up telling me I havent checked for updates in the last five days.    If that pops up while playing those games..  I'm back to square one with a black screen.  Get it going again and the game is on the task bar , bring it up and continue to play. 

I hate McAfee..  ( just a personal note here)  LOL

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »

Have you ever run any other maintenance programs, and if so, which ones

I"m not sure on what your asking so I'm going to say no.  THe only thing I click on is the defrag , and it comes up telling me its not needed at this time.  Two weeks ago I had it do so anyway , just in case it was lieing to me.  :) This is about when the monitor started doing this.  No improvement.

Adapter RAM   64.00 MB  ( 67,108,864 bytes)

WW
Hummm... so I'm hearing that Monopoly, etc. were coming up okay up until about 2 weeks ago?

Besides Defrag, a good thing to do routinely is Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.  It's worth a try if you've never done it.

I'm running a 64 Mb graphics card, also. That's bottom of the rung by today's gaming standards.
Of the games you listed, there are many generations and updated versions out there.  I've avoided clouding the issue with things like what version of OpenGL, and what version Shader your graphics display can handle. If the programs are newer, and they have always had this problem, that's a possible explanation.
If this issue only came up within the past 2 weeks, then you may very will be in the market for a new monitor.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
And McAfee...   Since it was put in I cannot do any downloads with it.   So it likes to pop up telling me I havent checked for updates in the last five days.    If that pops up while playing those games..  I'm back to square one with a black screen.  Get it going again and the game is on the task bar , bring it up and continue to play. 

I hate McAfee..  ( just a personal note here)  LOL

WW.
So do I! So uninstall the damn thing! It's not doing you much good on the Internet if it's not being updated.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »
What do I do for an anti virus then?  I was told that getting a new version of McAfee would at least help fight 80% of the ickies out there.    I have to unplug computer and drive it to someones house that has fast internet to get the program in ...even with purchasing the cd.    60.00 this last one.  ouch.

My ISP told me to have McAfee in.    And yet they wont speed this line up.   ( ya I'm bitter about it)

I'll give this monitor a blow out.. thursday.   See if that works.  If not I will find a LCD? monitor.  I just plug it in where this one goes right?  This puter will support it?     Makes me nervous doing this stuff.

WW.

And yes to the disk clean up?   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »
What do I do for an anti virus then?  I was told that getting a new version of McAfee would at least help fight 80% of the ickies out there.    I have to unplug computer and drive it to someones house that has fast internet to get the program in ...even with purchasing the cd.    60.00 this last one.  ouch.

My ISP told me to have McAfee in.    And yet they wont speed this line up.   ( ya I'm bitter about it)

I'll give this monitor a blow out.. thursday.   See if that works.  If not I will find a LCD? monitor.  I just plug it in where this one goes right?  This puter will support it?     Makes me nervous doing this stuff.

WW.

There are many free anti-virus programs that are every bit as good as McAfee...some better.
I've tried many of them. AVG Free edition, Avira, Avast!, and now I've just gone to using Microsoft Essentials along with my other security programs (SpyBot Search and Destroy which gives passive blocking of dangerous websites, MalwareBytes anti-malware program, CCleaner to keep the unwanted 'cookies' off my system, and ACE Utilities to clean my Registry and other things). ACE is the only program that I had to pay for, and worth every cent of $30.
Any program that protects you from Nasties on the Net are going to need to be updated. Avast! updated several time per day! Avira was daily, and AVG was daily. SpyBot provides updates on a weekly basis. MalwareBytes reminds you if you haven't updated in over 4 days.  Most of these updates run about 6 Mbs. On dial-up, it took awhile!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

WW.

I'm still working on the monitor hook up. The manual for your computer glitched on download, so I'm trying again.

And you're saying you HAVE RUN Disk Cleanup?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »
Thank you to all of you who stepped in to help.   Its very appreciated.    I dont know how all you guys learn this computer stuff... but you amaze me.   

Thank you.  And I'll keep you updated.

OP..  when you say it took awhile on dial-up... what is awhile?  hours?    Do you ever get it where it stops half way through and you have to keep starting over?   

How in the world can I get protected if they dont have anything out there user friendly to dial-ups?  I cant be the ONLY one out there am I?

THe only thing I've run is the disk defragmenter.   
I was asking if I SHOULD run the disk Cleanup.
WW. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »

OP..  when you say it took awhile on dial-up... what is awhile?  hours?    Do you ever get it where it stops half way through and you have to keep starting over?   
Oh, yeah! I only had a couple time-outs with updates, but when I first downloaded AVG it took over night...for 3 days (!)...because I'd wake up and find out it aborted.

How in the world can I get protected if they dont have anything out there user friendly to dial-ups?  I cant be the ONLY one out there am I?
Good question. Fewer and fewer ISPs are supporting dial-up services. They devote very few resources, trying to force people into DLS, (IMO) because that's where the money is.

THe only thing I've run is the disk defragmenter.   
I was asking if I SHOULD run the disk Cleanup.

Yes!!! It's the only tool you have right now to get the 'junk' off your computer that's slowing it down, and getting it confused.
WW.

Now, back to the monitor. Your Dimension 2400 only supports a VGA monitor. If you can find a flat screen (LCD...don't go for the plasma) that has a VGA (15 pin) connector, you're home free.
The alternative is to get an inexpensive graphics card that is set up to take a DVI, or HDMI monitor connection. That opens up more models of monitors available.

What my son did was get a TV/Monitor unit. It's set up to connect to his graphics card via an HDMI cable, which also carries sound. A DVI connection doesn't carry sound.  Because it's a TV, it has built in speakers. As a mater of fact, it also has a built in DVD player in the TV. As I recall, we paid about $170 for it. It's a 20" screen.

My wife recently got her computer set up with a wireless keyboard & mouse, and a cable to be able to use her 46" TV as a monitor. WOW!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:13:44 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Things are looking up! Check out this link. For a 19" monitor direct hook to your VGA connector, you have a good choice for around $100.

Tiger Direct is an excellent company! A Dell technician actually referred me to them, rather than buying from Dell! LOL!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=12&sel=Detail%3B47_266_17169_52854,Detail%3B49_158_26079_26079

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »
I use Tiger Direct and Newegg.

OP has you well in hand.

On antivirus: I run Comodo Internet Security.  You can get it in a paid version or for free.  The only difference is the subscription version comes with 24/7 tech support and a $500 garuntee they can fix your pc.  If they can't you get 500 bucks to have it fixed or put towards a new one.

Yes, I am a Comodo reseller, but I haven't set it up...I just use the free and it works great for me.  I did have the paid and went back to free when it expired...just as good.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php?track=2737&key5sk1=97de09f3b6d42304c05fd6f2d5731e40ed2f27ee&key5sk2=2128&key5sk3=1334701765000&key5sk4=2737&key5sk5=1334701772000&key6sk1=&key6sk2=FF110&key6sk3=5&key6sk4=en-us&key6sk5=US&key6sk6=0&key6sk7=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.comodo.com%252F&key6sk8=112202&key6sk9=1280800&key6sk10=true&key6sk11=24d3fdbdca15d56da7a8acd0bd860939fde2f65d&key7sk1=2&key1sk1=dt&key1sk2=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.comodo.com%252F

This takes you to the download page if you want it.  It comes with 30 days free tech support called Geek Buddy.  It's chat-based.  Not used it myself, but it looks good...just rgular chat.

i'll shut up now...I'm way tired and rambley...and caint type any good.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:29 PM »
I really liked Comodo, until one day on a boot scan it gave me a whole list of false-positives. I'd had such good service from it, I didn't really read what it was saying and hit the "Yes-delete" key and wiped out half my desktop and 4 programs I had to reinstall. I uninstalled it, maybe unfairly, but I was a little hot about then. ;)