Author Topic: Exotac Fire sleeve  (Read 8094 times)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Exotac Fire sleeve
« on: August 03, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »
With a lot of talk here about disposable lighters this looks like a neat cover for them. Not sure what the price will be after this offer.

Here is the link ---> https://www.massdrop.com/buy/exotac-firesleeve?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EDC+A+Product+Announcement+2015-08-03&utm_source=Sailthru&referer=5A6KLG&utm_term=Community+-+Everyday+Carry+-+MAU+%28Active%29&mode=guest_open
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Exotac Fire sleeve
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »
I noticed the Vargo titanium sparker at the link as well. Sort of a lighter without the butane.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
I was in on the Kickstarter program for these. I got two. I keep one in my backpack cook kit and one leashed on a teather on my PFD. I really like them, very handy.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »
I was in on the Kickstarter program for these. I got two. I keep one in my backpack cook kit and one leashed on a teather on my PFD. I really like them, very handy.

You need to share some of these Kickstarters with us Greg. LOL

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:00:47 PM »
With a lot of talk here about disposable lighters this looks like a neat cover for them. Not sure what the price will be after this offer.

Here is the link ---> https://www.massdrop.com/buy/exotac-firesleeve?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EDC+A+Product+Announcement+2015-08-03&utm_source=Sailthru&referer=5A6KLG&utm_term=Community+-+Everyday+Carry+-+MAU+%28Active%29&mode=guest_open
Now, if they'd just mould a strip of magnesium in one side and a ferro rod in the other, they'd actually have a fire starter  worth adding to a 'survival' kit. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »
It's kind of a neat idea. only $11 but still the lighter is what $1.25?
 I kind of want to make one.
If I do who wants it?
Free.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »
It's kind of a neat idea. only $11 but still the lighter is what $1.25?
 I kind of want to make one.
If I do who wants it?
Free.

To me this is about protecting that $1.25 lighter.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
You are right, I see the value. At least for those who carry a lighter. Like I said it's neat, that's why I kind of want to made a budget one.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »
To keep it dry AND not have to worry about compressing the button in your pocket and running the thing dry of fuel, could be a very good deal for folks who rely on Bics mostly for fire starting.

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:33 PM »
To me this is about protecting that $1.25 lighter.

I get the humour of this but I think this is a great idea imo. You aren't protecting the lighter. You are protecting your fire source...

The biggest downside of a bic is that you could have it in your bag/pack and if the gas button is depressed... bye bye gas..

Is it worth $10???? I'll let you know :)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
You are right, I see the value. At least for those who carry a lighter. Like I said it's neat, that's why I kind of want to made a budget one.

I have some heat shrink tubing, will that help?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »
Quick fix drop it in a over sized pill bottle with some cotton balls for tender but I was thinking of using PVC & making something a little more compact, cleaner.
Heat shrink would work but could you make something reusable?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »
It is reuseable but of questionable waterproof. There are a couple iterations out there. I have an innertube patch kit for the first time since I was 14yrs old. That might vulcanize the top closed. It's just a shrink to friction fit GFF&W sheath-
                                                  -Unknown

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
I've seen one made with 1" bicycle inner tube that is sealed on one end. you slip it over the business end of the lighter and it keeps the water out. Then you pull it off and can cut it up for tinder if need be.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
I've seen one made with 1" bicycle inner tube that is sealed on one end. you slip it over the business end of the lighter and it keeps the water out. Then you pull it off and can cut it up for tinder if need be.
I made one like that just a few weeks ago. Have to be careful it does not push the gas button.

It is reuseable but of questionable waterproof. There are a couple iterations out there. I have an innertube patch kit for the first time since I was 14yrs old. That might vulcanize the top closed. It's just a shrink to friction fit GFF&W sheath-

How about, just for fun we both make one. See what we come up with?
 Hell lets all make one. I would like to see what everyone does to solve the same problem?
 You in PW?

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »

You need to share some of these Kickstarters with us Greg. LOL

Ok, here's my latest funding. An expandable, folding solar charger. I pledged for the 4 panel version.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1398120161/solar-paper-the-worlds-thinnest-and-lightest-solar

Offline MrFixIt

• Whetstone +
  • Old Jarhead
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
Quick fix drop it in a over sized pill bottle with some cotton balls for tender but I was thinking of using PVC & making something a little more compact, cleaner.
Heat shrink would work but could you make something reusable?

This is exactly what I do. Never had a problem with the button getting depressed, the dry cotton balls are only so that it doesn't rattle around.
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket baby, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride!"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:40 PM »
I made one like that just a few weeks ago. Have to be careful it does not push the gas button.

How about, just for fun we both make one. See what we come up with?
 Hell lets all make one. I would like to see what everyone does to solve the same problem?
 You in PW?

I could say I'm in.

But really all it needs is a way to seal out water and keep the button from being depressed. The trick is doing it without taking up so much space that it is too bulky and impractical to carry in a pocket. Any container must be just big enough and no bigger.

I am not sure anything I could come up with that would be easily improvised would come close to the product in the first post.

I will give it some thought and if I come up with something truly original that CAN be improvised with common materials I will make one and post it.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »
I don't want to hijack Mr. greyhound's thread any father so After I make something I will start a new thread. First I need to buy a bic  :)
I like the original product & I don't think I can really do better, not in my work shop. I can do cheaper :cheers:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
Has the firesleeve changed since it was first developed? Maybe I am thinking of a different product.

Then there is this  http://www.mylighterpro.com/

not meant to hijack, but this one is not needing a thread
                                                  -Unknown

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
I don't want to hijack Mr. greyhound's thread any father so After I make something I will start a new thread. First I need to buy a bic  :)
I like the original product & I don't think I can really do better, not in my work shop. I can do cheaper :cheers:

LGM I don't mind discussion on my threads. I just like providing info on products that I like.

Another feature of this lighter cover is it can also keep the button depressed for extended use which I thought was pretty cool.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
Has the firesleeve changed since it was first developed? Maybe I am thinking of a different product.

I believe this is a different product then the one you shared. Different company, different features.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »

LGM I don't mind discussion on my threads. I just like providing info on products that I like.

Another feature of this lighter cover is it can also keep the button depressed for extended use which I thought was pretty cool.

GH - I agree with your approach, put the product out there and lets talk about it!  Looks good to me!  Did you ever read Cody Lundin's ananlysis of lighters?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »

I believe this is a different product then the one you shared. Different company, different features.

That's not what I meant.  I looked to see if I could find a product that I might have confused with an early model exotic fire sleeve. What I shared is not that product. Just a lighter cover that I found to be slightly different than what most anyone would want.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
The fireSLEEVE fixes problems that rarely occur. That being said, I did pick up two during the Kickstarter campaign. They work well. Protect the gas button, protect the flint, float, etc without adding much bulk or weight. I am particularly fond of the GITD (Glow In The Dark) version. Which, quite sadly, they do not offer for sale thus far. Anyhow, hang it from the ridgeline of my hammock as I set up in the evening and it is still glowing strongly in the morning. Makes it easy to find the hammock, light another mosquito coil, alkie stove for coffee from the hammock, etc.

As mentioned earlier, using a racing bike (narrow tire) inner tube works for waterproofing. Using a tiny zip-tie under the gas button prevents accidental butane leakage. If you depress the stop tab of the zip-tie, it releases and you can take it on and off several times.

Bics are very robust. I have seen Bics sit alongside a trail for a year then picked 'em up, cleaned the mud out and used them. Dropped them in the water and used them. There are many methods for drying the flint if you are in a hurry. They use up a lot of the flint so allow them to dry in your pocket if you have the time.

There are many tinders that work with an empty Bic. Thus even when empty or cold, a Bic is useful. I keep saying "Bic" instead of "lighter" because in my experience most other disposable lighters do not perform in the woods nearly as well as a Bic.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
I should report that I failed to make anything good enough to show or carry. My Idea was PVC, but. I need Sch 10 or 20 & I could not find fittings locally. Standard Sch 40 was just too thick.