Author Topic: Wolfy's Sourdough Pancakes  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Wolfy's Sourdough Pancakes
« on: September 14, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »
This is a long overdue public Thank You to Wolfy. A few months back Wolfy had posted in the What did you have for dinner thread (http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=6652.msg211314#msg211314) that he had made some sourdough pancakes. I made a comment that I'd like to try making a sourdough starter someday.

Not long after I made that comment, Wolfy sent me a PM offering to send me some of his sourdough starter and instructions on how to feed and maintain it.

A short period later I received an envelope in the mail containing a package of dried sourdough starter, a hand written list of instructions, and a printed copy of his coveted Sourdough Pancake recipe. In the note, Wolfy stated that the starter began its life 39 year ago when in 1976 he made it from Wild Nebraska Yeast obtained from dried plum skins and potatoes. Nebraska, it's not too bad...

It's been a few months since I received the starter and I'm proud to say that with Wolfy's excellent instructions, I have a very healthy starter that's easy to maintain and will last me forever if I do my part.

Craig, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to dry the starter, package it, sending it to me, and for the great pancake recipe, it was all VERY much appreciated.

So, for dinner tonight, we had Wolfy's Sourdough Pancakes. As my kids said, these are the best pancakes we've ever had, and it's true, very yummy. And the aroma of the sourdough, heavenly.

Below are a few pictures I asked my wife to take with her DSLR instead of my normal cell phone pics, they tell the story better than I can.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Wolfy's Sourdough Pancakes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »
Man..........I just ate and I believe I could still eat a stack of those right now!  They look delicious and I'm sure they were.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
Of course, now I have to give Wolfy a wiggle of the eyebrows and a sidelong glance at his starter. I've always wanted to try something like that, for pancakes and biscuits and small loaves of bread, but could never get a starter started, lol.

Those pancakes look -amazing-.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
Me likey pancakes me likey pancakes! Sending that eyebrow twitch and grin as well :)
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
Daaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!!!

Yuuuuuuuummm!!!!!!
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »
Daaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!!!

Yuuuuuuuummm!!!!!!

I'm bringing some of this to KICCO...

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
That's the best looking stack of flapjacks I've ever seen!!!  I'm seriously drooling!

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »
  Even without the pictures, the ring of "sourdough pancakes" just sounds amazing!

Wolfy's the man. He's a good guy.........most of the time. :-\

;D
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »
This is a long overdue public Thank You to Wolfy. A few months back Wolfy had posted in the What did you have for dinner thread (http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=6652.msg211314#msg211314) that he had made some sourdough pancakes. I made a comment that I'd like to try making a sourdough starter someday.

Not long after I made that comment, Wolfy sent me a PM offering to send me some of his sourdough starter and instructions on how to feed and maintain it.

A short period later I received an envelope in the mail containing a package of dried sourdough starter, a hand written list of instructions, and a printed copy of his coveted Sourdough Pancake recipe. In the note, Wolfy stated that the starter began its life 39 year ago when in 1976 he made it from Wild Nebraska Yeast obtained from dried plum skins and potatoes. Nebraska, it's not too bad...

It's been a few months since I received the starter and I'm proud to say that with Wolfy's excellent instructions, I have a very healthy starter that's easy to maintain and will last me forever if I do my part.

Craig, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to dry the starter, package it, sending it to me, and for the great pancake recipe, it was all VERY much appreciated.

So, for dinner tonight, we had Wolfy's Sourdough Pancakes. As my kids said, these are the best pancakes we've ever had, and it's true, very yummy. And the aroma of the sourdough, heavenly.

Greg, I am so very pleased to hear that you & your family are enjoying the sourdough pot and the pancake recipe........but then again, how could you not? :shrug: :thumbsup: :rofl:   From the photos, it looks like you've mastered the art & science of maintaining a sourdough pot and are now reaping the rewards of being able to enjoy those light & toothsome sourdough pancakes for eternity. 

It's nice to know that my home-grown Nebraska sourdough 'yeasties' now have some offspring in Florida, too.   If any of the Kracs down there end up wanting a culture of their own, maybe you could get them started at Kicco with tablespoon or two and a copy of that recipe epistle that I sent you......it would save me some time and postage. :)

For the rest of you LONG TIME B&B MEMBERS (more than 100 posts) that would like a 'start' of your own, just PM your mailing address and we'll get you on the road to Sourdough Utopia.  Like Greg said, the pancakes are ambrosia, easy to create and a good way to get used to maintaining & feeding your own sourdough pot, but don't stop there.......the biscuits and bread are UNBELIEVABLE! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
For the rest of you LONG TIME B&B MEMBERS (more than 100 posts) that would like a 'start' of your own, just PM your mailing address and we'll get you on the road to Sourdough Utopia.  Like Greg said, the pancakes are ambrosia, easy to create and a good way to get used to maintaining & feeding your own sourdough pot, but don't stop there.......the biscuits and bread are UNBELIEVABLE! :drool:

:thumbsup:  :banana:
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
You got it Wolfy. If any of the Kracs want some of this excellent starter, let me know and I'll bring some to Kicco.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »
Thanks Greg for sharing, we love some pancakes here, and yours look perfect. I'll take you up on that starter.

And a big thanks to our Grand Pooh-bah Craig, Ya, Nebraska, its not to bad.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 03:59:48 AM »
Dont shoot me but; is that margarine?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 04:46:29 AM »

LOL, no, it's room temperature salted butter.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 04:52:45 AM »
Thanks Greg for sharing, we love some pancakes here, and yours look perfect. I'll take you up on that starter.

And a big thanks to our Grand Pooh-bah Craig, Ya, Nebraska, its not to bad.

Thanks Spyder, I'll hook you up at KICCO. I'm going to bring along a few packets.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 05:35:07 AM »

LOL, no, it's room temperature salted butter.
:hail:

then I'm sure i need not ask about the syrup
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04:05 AM »
Was out of maple syrup at the time, this was Aunt Jemima.

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
Since Yellowyak doesn't seem to be in the shootin' mood, I'll confess that I really don't share the need to pour tree sap on pancakes. I much prefer Pure Cane Syrup! Funny thing is, it's getting harder and harder to fine, even down here where its made!

Most of the time, somewhere on the label you find the words, "Artificially Maple Flavored."

Why do I get the feeling I just painted a target on my back?  :shocked:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
There is no such thing as One True Way.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »
I'd like wolfy to reveal the age of that sourdough.   ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »
Just like Greg revealed in his OP, I started it in 1976 from wild plum skins, homegrown potato skins and unbleached flour.......been percolatin' for 39 years. :stir:

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
Yeah baby.  Good stuff!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
Just set out a batch of starter to percolate so I can make some sourdough bread bowls for Sunday dinner. The wife makes a killer broccoli and cheese soup, I must say, better than the Panara version. Hopefully the bread bowls will turn out okay.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 07:16:54 PM »
Just like Greg revealed in his OP, I started it in 1976 from wild plum skins, homegrown potato skins and unbleached flour.......been percolatin' for 39 years. :stir:
Wolfy that is seriously impressive. I think I have a handful of tools, a bow and a knife from back then. Nothing near as fragile as a sour dough starter
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
Since Yellowyak doesn't seem to be in the shootin' mood, I'll confess that I really don't share the need to pour tree sap on pancakes. I much prefer Pure Cane Syrup! Funny thing is, it's getting harder and harder to fine, even down here where its made!

Most of the time, somewhere on the label you find the words, "Artificially Maple Flavored."

Why do I get the feeling I just painted a target on my back?  :shocked:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Let me know if you find a source, I have ideas.....
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »
I tried a couple of times over the last few days to make some Sourdough Bread Bowls. Each time the interior of the bread was good, the chew and taste was great, but the crust was more like a scone. I think I need to let the dough spend some more time proofing. I'll try again this weekend when I have more time

While the bread was proofing, I made some homemade butter from some heavy whipping cream. It turned out really good. Got about 14.5 ounces of butter from 32 ounces of whipping cream. Also got a little over 12 ounces of buttermilk that's going into some homemade coleslaw for tomorrow nights dinner.

Butter:

Sourdough Bread:

Sourdough Bread Bowls with my wife's Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
Greg, go to www.breadtopia.com and follow that guy's video tutorial to a 'T' on how to make artisan round loaves.  The bread comes out perfectly......at least it does for us. O:-)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »
Thanks Craig. I've visited that site many times. They've got some excellent information. Most of their instructional videos and recipes utilize the no knead approach, and while I enjoy using that method, I've been attempting to use more traditional techniques in making bread using the starter. This weekend I plan on making a few batches using different techniques, just to experiment and get more confidence and experience in working with the starter.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
I understand, BUT the thing is, in attempting to produce a good loaf of bread with wild sourdough the LESS it is kneaded the BETTER it is.  The new-fangled 'no-knead' bread recipe that first came out in the The New York Times was originally developed for use with packets of commercial yeast, but research will reveal that the 'no-knead' method is the TRADITIONAL and most effective way to a good loaf of sourdough bread.  It took ME a LONG time to figure that out. :P

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »
I'll definitely take your advice and make some using the no knead method this weekend. Makes sense that this would be the more traditional method.

And I just can't get over that yeasty smell and taste, its pretty amazing how it all works.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:30:36 AM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2020, 07:33:05 PM »
That  starter library is interesting, never heard of this place but looks interesting. 

The second link about the Egyptian yeast and methods of baking is really good.  That guy who invented the X-Box is a piece of work.  I wonder how much bread it takes make a Ton.

I can see why the guy's contact with the archeology types wasn't productive at first.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)